Another Police Shooting - BK NYC

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
http://fort-greene.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/11/man-shot-dead-by-police-on-lafayette/49 year old Shem Walker was shot to death by an undercover police who was sitting on his stoop during a buy-and-bust operation in the neighborhood.Neither the precinct nor officer cleared the use of Walker's stoop beforehand; the officer was allegedly wearing headphones. When he did not hear or ignored Walker's requests to move along, Walker accosted the officer and was shot to death. Allegedly the officer yelled "freeze" before firing. Allegedly Walker yelled, "no, don't!". Walker was an army veteran.

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    damn

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    horrible

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    tragic

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    why didn't they identify themselves as police as soon as there was an altercation ?

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    Kicks they def don't always identify themselves. I was painting a wall a long time ago and some guys were running toeards me so I swung and broke the first guys jaw. The next guys opens his coat and he has a badge! I tried to run but they caught me and beat the shit out of me. I got a broken collarbone, busted head, and a trip to Cook County Jail, the worst in the USA.

Probably the only reason the didn't shoot me was cause I'm white.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    terrible.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    just awful. what a waste. my guess is no justice will be served.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well, already from the police response they are highlighting how the officer was really getting his ass kicked (by this man nearly twice his age) thus: fearing for his life. There are few witnesses. So yeah, my guess is that the police will be let off with a slap on the wrist. The fact that the cop was black will help his case because racism will be ruled out.

The only thing that just blows my mind is this: in the summer, especially in the hood, kids sit on stoops. Sometimes they're into something, most time they're not. Sometimes, the owners shoo them off. Nobody ever shoots anybody. The police just think they can end all problems with their service weapon. This mentality should be punished every time we see it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Well, already from the police response they are highlighting how the officer was really getting his ass kicked (by this man nearly twice his age) thus: fearing for his life. There are few witnesses. So yeah, my guess is that the police will be let off with a slap on the wrist. The fact that the cop was black will help his case because racism will be ruled out.

The only thing that just blows my mind is this: in the summer, especially in the hood, kids sit on stoops. Sometimes they're into something, most time they're not. Sometimes, the owners shoo them off. Nobody ever shoots anybody. The police just think they can end all problems with their service weapon. This mentality should be punished every time we see it.

Yeah, I think these cases in general have less to do with race and more to do with piss poor training and power tripping. And if they keep getting off, this will keep happening. Sad.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Yeah, I think these cases in general have less to do with race and more to do with piss poor training and power tripping.

I dont think "race" should be diminished in "these" cases.

I bet that Black Cop would have gotten off a White persons stoop.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Yeah, I think these cases in general have less to do with race and more to do with piss poor training and power tripping.

Yeah your probably right.

Yeah your probably right.

Or The dept wouldnt even allow undercover cops, white or black, to chill on a white stoop to check crime.

They'd have to clear that w/ the community

Yes that was the other thing that just had me SMFH... you're using someone's building in an operation and you don't clear it, don't even give notice? SMFH.

What kind of "headphones" does a 21 Jump St. wear that would make him not hear someone telling him from 3 feet away to get off their stoop?

Right, and how the hell are you running back-up for a buy and bust with f*cking HEADPHONES ON

Right, and how the hell are you running back-up for a buy and bust with f*cking HEADPHONES ON

I bet he was listening to Boogiemonsters

then he should've recognized the thresholds of negative stress.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I bet he was listening to Boogiemonsters

• then he should've recognized the thresholds of negative stress.