The evolution of the Strut.

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
DjStyles52 (who seems to be S.P. to me) post on buying a strutters music has me thinking.Why has the strut not evolved into something where you can purchase strutters digital music offerings.Maybe the strut doesn't even need to do the work. Just partner with someone.Shit, apple is even now started to hawk "Digital 45s" http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/07/15/itunes-music-store-now-selling-two-song-digital-45s/Any strutter who does music should check out what Trent Reznor recently posted.Which can be found hereHe has some pretty interesting thoughts on the matter.Maybe Raj doesn't have the heart to take things to another level and feels that a board is all the stut is ever gonna be. But does anyone else feel that the site could move into offering more?For example, maybe something along the lines of offering DJ's space with some sort of a template to have their own page or blog. Where they could post their mixes or set up ways to make bookings.A mass DJ online management option on the internet is oddly lacking IMO.Where a decent size database of DJ's could allow people to use parameters like country, city, style, etc to book anything from a one off wedding to a club night. Where DJ's don't have to spend a ton of dough or time setting things up themselves.There are a ton of possibilities IMO. I just think a mix of a massive overhaul of the site mixed with the base of what the strut is, could be a much better thing for all.http://www.soulstrut.com/shop/"There is currently nothing for sale in the SS Web Store. Bummer."

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Sounds like a decent idea in theory but keep in mind Raj has a day job AND a family. I think he lacks time, not heart.

Also, I think if people wanted to sell their digital product, it would do well as is. It seems to work well with CDs. Plus you're dealing directly with the artist and they get their deserved 100%. (Though these days it seems as if everybody is just giving their mixes away.)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Maybe Raj doesn't have the heart to take things to another level and feels that a board is all the stut is ever gonna be. But does anyone else feel that the site could move into offering more?

Raj has layed down a solid foundation for record nerds, artists and lurkers alike. If he has any ambition to take things to another level, then I'm all for it.

Personally, I'd love to see the Online radio station materialize. Way too many talented Dj's here for this to not happen.

And so, my fellow Strutters..

Ask not what your Soulstrut can do for you - ask what you can do for your Soulstrut.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what Raj will do for you, but what together we can do for the progression of the site.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, I understand the time thing. By the time he's done his day he's probably wiped. Just like I am. Maybe he should be open to partnering with someone who would be interested in doing something.

Giving away a mix is not a bad thing. It promotes you as a DJ. I'm not against buying mixes. I've bought plenty. Including a few strutters. But selling a mix is not the same as selling music you create.

And I'm not saying that it has to be sold through Soulstrut. It could... But partnering up with someone who already does all the backend (Hosting, contracts, payment, etc) could be a good idea. Not as in making money off the sale of the music, more as adding traffic to the site type deal. Adding new features and options to new & existing users.

but really, strutters should check out what Trent Reznor wrote in the link above. He doesn't have answers. But brings up alot of decent ideas.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Doesn't Reznor basically say to give music away for free as a way to promote oneself and make the money off of limited edition handmade stuff and merch?

This seems at odds with your idea that SS should have a place where you can purchase strutters' digital music.

Doesn't Reznor basically say to give music away for free as a way to promote oneself and make the money off of limited edition handmade stuff and merch?

This seems at odds with your idea that SS should have a place where you can purchase strutters' digital music.

No, it seems he's stated it's just one part of the game.

He touches on it a bit here.

"Why put something on iTunes for a price fans can get it from your site for free? Won't it piss people off?
    Do it and don't worry about it. Lots of people apparently shop at iTunes exclusively and that's where they get their music. They are generally not the people that would be mad to discover they could have gotten the same record (at a better bit-rate) for free elsewhere. We put The Slip up at nin.com for free at all fidelities and STILL sold a fairly large amount of copies at iTunes for $9.99. At the time iTunes did not allow variable pricing (I don't know what the deal is now)."

What he's saying is give consumers options (Not just on the aspect of pricing). As many as possible. Don't just look at things from one angle.

In the digital age and napster was the touch off. Don't give people any sort of options and they will go search for your music for free. Most people who would never buy your music will grab it no matter what. But a real fan of your music will find a way somewhere down the line to support you in some way.

Maybe DjStyles52 will just go find Day's track on the net for free. But maybe, just maybe he would really purchase the song if there was an easier user friendly option to purchase. Where, when he asked for the track, one of use could have posted a direct link to where Day might actually make money off a sale, instead of the full sale going to a resale on a used copy. Or making the user ticked off that he can't find a copy to buy and will download it for free.

Day being a strutter. It would be nice if the strut has some sort of a section on someone like Day with a direct link to anything that Day wants. Bio's, pics from his gigs, direct links to where Day might have agreements with e-retailers that sell his music. Maybe even a way to book Day for a gig, using that section.

I'm just saying it would be great it the strut could evolve into offering it's users more options and features.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Ok, I hear ya.

If I'm spending money for new music, though, I want limited edition art objects in return.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It seems clear to me.

Want soulstrutradio?
    Create a finished web based soulstrutradio page that is ready to go with out any more programing.
    Then send it to raj and ask him to host it.
    Offer to moderate.

Want soulstrutdjsandtheirmixes page?
    Create the finished product give it raj offer to moderate.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah it seems like Raj has his hands full with the site as it is.

• right on

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Do it.

I think Raj is open to new ideas, but as previously stated the dude is just trying to keep his head above water right now, with a young fam... I can relate.

The foundation on which the House of strut is built is solid...he just needs to sub out if upgrades are to be made.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Maybe Raj doesn't have the heart to take things to another level and feels that a board is all the stut is ever gonna be.

i'm sorry but with all due respect. it is in extremely poor character to make statements like this about any man without walking in his shoes.

peace, stein. . .

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Maybe Raj doesn't have the heart to take things to another level and feels that a board is all the stut is ever gonna be.

i'm sorry but with all due respect. it is in extremely poor character to make statements like this about any man without walking in his shoes.

peace, stein. . .

I was thinking the same thing esp usage of the word "heart" kinda takes away from a great idea/ suggestion..

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That Trent Reznor post is tremendous.

also

Raj is a grown-ass man with a wife, kid, & a real job.
    I doubt he has time to make DJ MySpace???.

peace, stein. . .

No worries about pointing that out.

My intention wasn't to disrespect Raj in any way. Lord knows his life is crazy like everyone else. And it wasn't intended to take away from anything Raj has built with soulstrut. Since obviously the strut is a pretty unique place.

It was more of a comment directed on a thought of whether the strut would move forward. Does the champ still have the heart of a lion sort of speak.

I personally have no idea what Raj is planning. Only he does. So, you are right, I should not speak.

I was just hoping that since there are a lot of strutters with some great idea's. That maybe someone would drop one in the thread and maybe Raj would notice it and it would give him some idea's on things he might be interested in doing.

No disrespect Raj.

And I'm not thinking of a MySpace type deal per say. Just idea's on expanding some new features or services to strutters.

I think I was bummed out when I went looking at the shop and there was nothing I could buy.

• Options
    I have to agree with DOR. Looking at the old strut vs. this site, shit has jumped leaps and bounds. But it seems like that momentum has been lost.

I think DOR has some great ideas and I'd love to see them materialize, but it sounds like a LOT of work--and certainly way too much work for a man holding down a job and feeding a young family.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

peace, stein. . .

No worries about pointing that out.

My intention wasn't to disrespect Raj in any way. Lord knows his life is crazy like everyone else. And it wasn't intended to take away from anything Raj has built with soulstrut. Since obviously the strut is a pretty unique place.

It was more of a comment directed on a thought of whether the strut would move forward. Does the champ still have the heart of a lion sort of speak.

I personally have no idea what Raj is planning. Only he does. So, you are right, I should not speak.

I was just hoping that since there are a lot of strutters with some great idea's. That maybe someone would drop one in the thread and maybe Raj would notice it and it would give him some idea's on things he might be interested in doing.

No disrespect Raj.

And I'm not thinking of a MySpace type deal per say. Just idea's on expanding some new features or services to strutters.

I think I was bummed out when I went looking at the shop and there was nothing I could buy.

cool. thanks DOR for taking the time to explain.

peace, stein. . .

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Let me start off by saying how grateful I am for Soul Strut and the folks who call this their home. I , more than anybody, would love for this place to evolve into something much larger and grander (especially now that we're heading towards Web 3.0 ?). There have been many talks and ideas but nothing has ever come into fruition.

Unfortunately, like some of you have mentioned, I am a professional with a family and very little free time on my hands these days. The company I am partial owner of exida has grown significantly in the past few years which is leaving SS in the dust. I am incredibly thankful that you all still come here and perpetuate the community I started almost 10 years a go.

I'm at a point where I am a little skeptical about taking on new strut projects with the notion I may be risking my sanity. I've pulled the all nighters, the all dayers, etc. with redesigns and such and it's tough when you have a family life and a day job that is turning into a 24 hour affair.

With that being said, there is a cache of insanely talented people on here. Designers, programmers, journalists, writers, DJs, producers, etc. I more than anybody would love for folks to take charge and start the revolution with the Soul Strut stamp of approval. I've campaigned in the past to recruit people for projects and it seemed like people were excited in the initial email only to not be heard from again. I simply do not have the time or patience to deal these days.

So, if folks want a radio station, digital download hub, online sex chat epicentre, you have my blessing to take charge and run with it. Keep me in the loop via PM and I will do my best to oversee everything and get it live.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

DOR has some great ideas and I'd love to see them materialize

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

http://www.soulstrut.com/shop/
    "There is currently nothing for sale in the SS Web Store. Bummer."

Yeah. I wasn't making very much money in the store for the amount of time and energy.

Plus in 2009... it seems to be the norm to offer your mix for free to download rather than press up a CD and charge for it.

I kind of miss when heads charged for CDs. There was a lot of quality control. Nowadays any Tom, Dick, or Harry and assemble a playlist in ITunes, zip it up, and call it a mix.