iPhone/iTouch People...

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
This is just a quick sneak preview. Been working with Darko on a project. collectorsFrenzy dedicated iPhone app![/b] Still in the beginning phases, but it does work! Images will be optional, I prefer them off, for speed. Love to hear comments/suggestions. Now is the time if you have any bright ideas! Looking to submit v1 to the app store in the next couple weeks.-pj

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This looks great. many thanks, to you and Darko

Can you get the search results without pictures, then click on the item to get a picture? That could be useful.

• vitasoyvitasoy 31 Posts
    this is exciting! You probably have this on the way but would it be possible to get a bookmarking feature? or perhaps saved searches?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    this is exciting! You probably have this on the way but would it be possible to get a bookmarking feature? or perhaps saved searches?

good idea. putting this in the todo list for sure.

Can you get the search results without pictures, then click on the item to get a picture? That could be useful.

yeah, I am trying to figure out the best UI to use. right now I am thinking optional small images to the left of each line and if you tap a line you get a 'detailed' view, with more information and the pic.

-pj

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This is good news. I usually just keep a safari page open. The 3GS is fast. I'd prefer pictures to be an available option.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    yeah, I am trying to figure out the best UI to use. right now I am thinking optional small images to the left of each line and if you tap a line you get a 'detailed' view, with more information and the pic.

-pj

I think your first impression was spot on, it would slow things up and personally I think that an image for ever search result is unnecessary. But if you could then click on the link to go to a detailed item page, or reveal a picture that would be great.

The idea of keeping it as simple/minimal as possible to begin with, then giving more information, if needed, is what I'd want from any search function.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I think your first impression was spot on, it would slow things up and personally I think that an image for ever search result is unnecessary. But if you could then click on the link to go to a detailed item page, or reveal a picture that would be great.

The idea of keeping it as simple/minimal as possible to begin with, then giving more information, if needed, is what I'd want from any search function.

Agreed.... #1 it should be fast. I have some other ideas to give a dedicated app a benefit over a mobile web version, but I open to any suggestions!

-pj

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

thanks for working on this. looking forward to downloading

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts

that's cool. any chance this will be available for other smart phones too? (i'm on a nokia n97)

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

that's cool. any chance this will be available for other smart phones too? (i'm on a nokia n97)

doubtful...I don't know how to code to those phones, and I don't have one. Coding to iPhone/Touch is easy for me!

Darko was open to me doing the iPhone version tho, so if someone else wanted to do the other smartphone version, I bet he'd be cool with it.

-pj

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    can you integrate the camera phone with crude image recognition AI on the thumbnails? so i dont have to type anything in, just snap a picture of the cover?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    can you integrate the camera phone with crude image recognition AI on the thumbnails? so i dont have to type anything in, just snap a picture of the cover?

haha...wow.... there is an app that does that for DVDs and books and whatnot. I don't know, that is a freekin project. Not simple. Plus the reality of the situation is that it wouldn't always be useful. And what is the real payoff? Avoiding typing a few key words? High cost, low return....high coolness factor.

-pj

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    also when the camera scan identifies a balleur record the phone should play a MIDI bassline of junior mafia get money

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    also when the camera scan identifies a balleur record the phone should play a MIDI bassline of junior mafia get money

ooooh.....jokes!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

YES

thx for making the iPhone app happen PJ!

I forsee that dark0 + you could put popsike outta business, easily

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I think it would be cool to somehow also pair it with one of those .mp3 search sites, or something that would try to pair a soundfile with the result. Not sure exactly how this would work, but somehow integrating a separate site's search results into the CF search results?

My thinking is as follows: iPhone CF app is useful for checking values out in teh field, but the other functionality you would want out in the field would be to hear how the record sounds (anything else besides checking sound & value???). if 1 app could do both--killer freakin app.

i mean hell-you could even offer that as an extra premium option to make a little
    Charge $3/month or something to have some kind of listening capability within the app for as many auctions as possible.

2cents. psyched that you made this, can't wait til it's available!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    whoa

• dark0dark0 61 Posts

I've created a webservice, so pulling data is easy. It's just a matter of creating an application on the phone to pull that data and display it. It's unfortunate that all phones don't share a standard framework. I might create one for the google android platform though, we shall see.

• vitasoyvitasoy 31 Posts
    I think it would be cool to somehow also pair it with one of those .mp3 search sites, or something that would try to pair a soundfile with the result. Not sure exactly how this would work, but somehow integrating a separate site's search results into the CF search results?

My thinking is as follows: iPhone CF app is useful for checking values out in teh field, but the other functionality you would want out in the field would be to hear how the record sounds (anything else besides checking sound & value???). if 1 app could do both--killer freakin app.

i mean hell-you could even offer that as an extra premium option to make a little
    Charge $3/month or something to have some kind of listening capability within the app for as many auctions as possible.

2cents. psyched that you made this, can't wait til it's available!

Maybe link to itunes for those records that may be available on itunes. May be another revenue stream for you (referal link)?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    nice, this looks great. Keep it simple!

I'll definitely purchase this when it comes available ... $3.99 or so?

Holler when it's ready

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    nice, this looks great. Keep it simple!

I'll definitely purchase this when it comes available ... $3.99 or so?

Oh I am thinking cheaper than that.....but we havn't really settled on anything. Not free, but cheap is what I am thinking.

Its coming along nicely, not exactly PRETTY yet, but most the functionality is there now:

Screams for bookmarking though...

-pj