Texas Hard Rock record question...Ultra

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Band called Ultra...maybe outta San Antonio...did they ever have an LP, or is the CD(only have the emmpeefrees, so no liners)a posthumous thingy? Confused and it is hard as hell to search for a record called "ultra" on the bay and poopsike with the bazillion "ultra rare" descriptions gummin up the works...thanks.

Comments

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
    this is copied from an email discussion I was having with someone a while back when I had the Ultra 12"

"This pressing is by the San Antonio band called Ultra. Gaylen Niles was in the San Antnio band Homer. Their releases are quite collectible. The tracks on this 12" 5 track LP are "Battery", "10 Years Since", "Android", "Lamp Black - White Fight", and "Windjammer". All of Ultra's recordings (1975-1977) were intitially released in Monster CD MCD-012 in the late 1990s. They were reissued several years ago on Rockdrome ROCK009-V-2. Here is what the liner notes say on the Monster CD: "The group's only release was a one-sided 5 song promotional LP housed in a plain white cover with a limited press of 100 copies. It was recorded at United Audio Recording Studios (UAR)in San Antonio. While the CD's are still available (at least the Rockdrome copy) the 12" poromo Ep is definitely superior. The analog copy is more friendly to Don Evans vocals and the twin lead guitars of Niles and Larry McGuffin. Evans was in The Water Brothers (google them and Vulcan Gas Company for history."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    lePoohPooh is on the money....the two copies I have seen had two different hand drawn covers, one with an earth moving piece of construction equipment drawn in pen.

I think copies have sold in the $300-$400 range.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    thanks! so this wont be cheap when and if it pops up on the bay...the track "Lamp Black..." is that good shit...well at least I know what to look for...thanks again