The Last Waltz

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I thought one reason they did the Weight with the Staples in the movie was to acknowledge that Aretha had the hit.

The Staple Singers themselves recorded "The Weight" on one of their Stax albums.

I need to go back and listen again, I didn't remember that.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    van morrison is so wasted in this. i remember a friend's dad once telling me that he pinpointed van's bloated, stumbling performance as the exact moment that he realized that his generation had finally become "old".

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    van morrison is so wasted in this. i remember a friend's dad once telling me that he pinpointed van's bloated, stumbling performance as the exact moment that he realized that his generation had finally become "old".

He may be drunk, but he sounds pretty damn good. Van the Man had intense stage fright, and they couldn't even find him just a few minutes prior to his entrance, he had been across the street boozing.

The unfortunate jumpsuit he sports probably had more to do with your friend's dad's assertion than Van's actual performance, it was not as flattering as Dylan's White fedora.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The performances in this movie mostly suck. The band could really kick ass live. Compare two versions of Don't Do It for evidence one is from 1971 at their peak, the other is the encore from the Last Waltz.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The performances in this movie mostly suck. The band could really kick ass live. Compare two versions of Don't Do It for evidence one is from 1971 at their peak, the other is the encore from the Last Waltz.

Well, the 1971 cut is the OPENER (that is the NYE concert captured for 'Rock of Ages' with horns arranged by Allen Toussaint and guys like Joe Farrell playing), and the second one is the CLOSER, so it is slower and they sound obviously tired.
    The Band had off nights like anyone, but I think the performances in 'The Last Waltz' occasionally hit workmanlike strides, but rarely suck. I would not characterize the Band as TIGHT, not like Booker T and the MGs were tight, they rarely had that vibe. That version of 'Don't Do It' may be the most kick ass sound they ever put on record, so this comparison is not a fair fight.

That said, why in the hell doesn't Capitol or Robertson put this kind of concert out on DVD? Jesus, the fact that a concert LP of that stature was filmed and it is not in wide release is criminal. If it's out and I haven't heard of it, help me out!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

He may be drunk, but he sounds pretty damn good. Van the Man had intense stage fright, and they couldn't even find him just a few minutes prior to his entrance, he had been across the street boozing.

The unfortunate jumpsuit he sports probably had more to do with your friend's dad's assertion than Van's actual performance, it was not as flattering as Dylan's White fedora.

haha, yeah, I don't know if he looks washed-up, but I do co-sign that he is
    totally blotto for his performance. The freeze-frame of him at the end is
    my favorite part of the whole film, really his whole wrap up, with the throwing
    down of the mic and all. He looks like he is on another planet.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Well, the 1971 cut is the OPENER (that is the NYE concert captured for 'Rock of Ages' with horns arranged by Allen Toussaint and guys like Joe Farrell playing), and the second one is the CLOSER, so it is slower and they sound obviously tired.
    The Band had off nights like anyone, but I think the performances in 'The Last Waltz' occasionally hit workmanlike strides, but rarely suck. I would not characterize the Band as TIGHT, not like Booker T and the MGs were tight, they rarely had that vibe. That version of 'Don't Do It' may be the most kick ass sound they ever put on record, so this comparison is not a fair fight.

That said, why in the hell doesn't Capitol or Robertson put this kind of concert out on DVD? Jesus, the fact that a concert LP of that stature was filmed and it is not in wide release is criminal. If it's out and I haven't heard of it, help me out!

Major cosign on the above. That version of don't do it from rock of ages kills me every time. I find the version from the last waltz moving in a different way. That's the last song they are playing together as a full Band after spending the better part of their lives on tour and recording together and it came at the end of a long ass show.