Caribbean Vacation - HELP (NRR)

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Over there years I've seen a good amount of knowledge dropped about all sorts of random topics, so I thought I might ask for those in the knows thoughts about dipping out of town. The lady and I are trying to get down to Caribbean waters. We're cool with spending some money, but obviously don't want to go craze. However, this doesn't necessarily lend itself to going somewhere remote and quiet (not trying to go to any major branch hotels - want to be secluded, boutique style hotel). Wondering if anyone's made it down that way before and had a really good experience. Possibly open to Mexico as well - but we're really trying to get to clear water beaches. Anybody got any experience on some travel agent shit??? Be much appreciated.

Comments

• I just got back from week + trip to Nicaragua and can't say enough good shit. Find a dope place on crater lake- super clear clean lake surrounded by rainforest and only a half hour from the airport. Saun Jaun del Sur in the south had some nice resorts (look at pelican eyes) with a crazy vista of a nice clean beach, good mix of lost surfers and locals plus tons of great seafood all on the cheap. If you speak spanish dig coffee/rum/cigars or seafood at all I say look at Nicaragua, I had the best time so did the misses.

• I'd look into Vieques, Puerto Rico, or Puerta Plata, DR. I was very close to going to Vieques a couple of years ago and it sounds exactly what you are looking for.

My girl is going to Puerta Plata in a couple of months and sounds like a similar kind of deal.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I'd look into Vieques, Puerto Rico, or Puerta Plata, DR. I was very close to going to Vieques a couple of years ago and it sounds exactly what you are looking for.

My girl is going to Puerta Plata in a couple of months and sounds like a similar kind of deal.

I will co-sign on Vieques but I ride even harder for its smaller sister island Culebra.

Clear waters, secluded beaches, good food, and inexpensive.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Been to St. John (US Virgin Islands) twice and really like it down there. I think 3/4 of the island is National Park. Great beaches, hiking, etc.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Aruba, dawg

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Aruba, dawg

That's where a lot of travel packages are pointing to, but it's tough to find seclusion down there, at least from what I've seen thus far. Def going to do some further investigation.

Good looks to the pointers about the smaller islands - wasn't knowing about any of that. Looking into it asap - keep em coming!! Thanks again all.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was fortunate enough to sail around the Virgin Islands for a couple of weeks on my uncle's sailboat a few years back, we had an amazing time. Peter Island is great for seclusion, but I think it's fairly pricey. St Johns is really beautiful - I would recommend renting a car if you stay there. There's a nice camp ground right near Trunk Bay, which is one of the best beaches in the world.

Try and get on some kind of boat if you can, cruising around the islands there is a blast.

A weekend night at Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke is a hell of an experience (the dude even has a private press Lp which I have).

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'd look into Vieques, Puerto Rico, or Puerta Plata, DR. I was very close to going to Vieques a couple of years ago and it sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Did a lot of looking around about all those this morn. Puerto Plata is looking like it may be it - as the places to stay out there got the best reviews/were inexpensive but nice enough.

Vieques looks awesome too - but the hotel selection down there is small.

This has all been very helpful though - good looks.