Br??no.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Caught this tonight. At times it was a bit TOO much ('specially early on), but it had its' moments. (Mexican Chair People!) I barely remember Borat, but I remember it as being funnier than this. And a bit more sad in a "man, people really DO act like that, huh?" kinda way. I wasn't really feeling the storyline regarding his journey to America. I was okay with it in Borat, but I think this one seems corny and it takes away from the stunts he pulls. Kinda blurs the lines between the scripted/unscripted. I read a review that said it may not be comedy of the year, but it should be a contender for documentary of the year. I'm sure folks disagree, but I feel dude has a talent for making people show their true colors. And there's no arguing that dude pushes boundaries to the extreme, especially for a major motion picture.

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i'm very excited to see this!

peace, stein. . .

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Caught it tonight to... wasn't as funny as I was expecting, but stil some insane moments. The make-out session in the boxing ring was pretty hillarious, and plenty of straight dudes who were obviously genuinely ready to rip the dudes' head off.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    it was definitely slower and not as funny as Bruno but still hilarious

some of it was way over the top. dunno how it got an R rating when there are full 30 sec scenes with just close ups of a dick

i saw it at Bay Plaza at Co-op City and if you are from NY you know that is a primarily urban area.

there were parts where i had to laugh out loud but i was the only one

a lot of racist humor too

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    i saw it at Bay Plaza at Co-op City and if you are from NY you know that is a primarily urban area.

One of the most gully theaters in NYC.

I took a chance and saw Madea there and kids were climbin errywhere, makin noise and shit. NEVER again.

One of the most gully theaters in NYC.

I took a chance and saw Madea there and kids were climbin errywhere, makin noise and shit. NEVER again.

yea i saw it at 10 am tho. it isn't gully that early!

oh and to the all the people i see talking about this movie saying they walked out and shit

what did u expect?

he wants you people to walk out. it got to you haha

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

That's what I was thinking too. The dancing penis had me like "WTF?!" then after I thought about it I was "man, now we - the audience - are part of his little experiment!"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    are gays feeling this movie?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I dunno blud you're the one with the bear in your avatar

That's what I was thinking too. The dancing penis had me like "WTF?!" then after I thought about it I was "man, now we - the audience - are part of his little experiment!"

that is the exact moment the 4 thug kids and the old women left

but also the exact moment i laughed uncontrollably haha

• Ali G, borat, then br??no

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    just got back from watching. i would highly recommend. caught myself laughing out loud at least a dozen times. sasha baron cohen really has a monopoly on this type of movie and i think this is better than borat.

peace, stein. . .

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I dunno blud you're the one with the bear in your avatar

it was sorta a serious question.

• blah. Cohen needs to come up with an actually new character and not just keep churning out different iterations of the same character

C'mon... a white English guy who thinks he's black, a Kazkistani news reporter, and a gay fashionister from Ausria. Explain to me what is similar to all three of these characters?

• excluding that awful Ali G movie the characters are used in the exact same way in both the television shows and films. They exploit people's wariness of having their actions interpreted as racist/homophobic ect. in order to pressure them into going along with the absurd behavior of the characters.

excluding that awful Ali G movie the characters are used in the exact same way in both the television shows and films. They exploit people's wariness of having their actions interpreted as racist/homophobic ect. in order to pressure them into going along with the absurd behavior of the characters.

did u expect to see Casablanca?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im looking forward to this, Bruno is my fave of the three personas...mainly because he draws out actual deep rooted hate in folks...Ali G's victims were just frustrated by the dumb english hip hop guy, Borat's victims were sucked in by trying to help the poor, ignorant foreign guy...but it seems Bruno's victims just seethe hate at the very sight of him...remember the episode where he was cheerleading at the U of Alabama football game? Those meatheaded rednecks wanted to maim and kill him, for real...so funny to watch people get that angry with a fictionalized character...I wouldnt call Sascha a genius, but he is definitely a brilliant intellectual terrorist...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    He's a Cambridge grad so he's undoubtable clever, don't know if I'd go any further than that though. He also has a team of writers, so they should get some of the credit.

If he can go beyond these characters, and repeat his success, I'd be kinda surprised. And there can't be too many people left in the world, to hoodwink into appearing in his films, so I guess he'll have to.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    at the fact that he actually interviewed a real terrorist... i wonder if he can keep on getting outta this situations unharmed

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    at the fact that he actually interviewed a real terrorist...

This was a pretty funny story he told on Letterman the other night.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Cohen's a genius.

Though I could see him being one of the first Comedians to die in the line of duty.

undoubtable clever

• i saw it today. it was hilarious. 4 people walked out. the first guy to walk out turned around, looked at the rest of the audience, and screamed "you people are nuts!" this was right after the talking dick part.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Cohen's a genius.

i saw it today. it was hilarious. 4 people walked out. the first guy to walk out turned around, looked at the rest of the audience, and screamed "you people are nuts!" this was right after the talking dick part.

The whole walking out thing is just lame. What someone esaid above is on-point: if I was Cohen, knowing people are walking out would just make me laugh. In fact, it makes me laugh even though I'm not him!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I agreed with the NYTimes review, in that the movie relied too heavily on easy laughs and easy marks (southern rednecks) and it was funnier and more interesting when he was dealing with the showbiz people (Paula Abdul, the stage moms).

I thought the sidekick dude was lame, a la the fat producer guy in Borat. All the scripted stuff was weak.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    wasn't as funny as I was expecting
    it was definitely slower and not as funny
    I agreed with the NYTimes review, in that the movie relied too heavily on easy laughs and easy marks (southern rednecks) and it was funnier and more interesting when he was dealing with the showbiz people (Paula Abdul, the stage moms).

I thought the sidekick dude was lame, a la the fat producer guy in Borat. All the scripted stuff was weak.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    laughed way too much.
    also, f*ck, sh*t, hey-zeus and paaaaaaaaaaaaaants rather frequently and involuntarily audibly.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Cohen's a genius.

Though I could see him being one of the first Comedians to die in the line of duty.

he had a good story or maybe it was a print interview about the HBO show as Borat. I think it was during the "throw the jew down the well" song at the honkytonk. basically he gets so drunk with these people in character that he goes into a toilet stall and passes out. all the rednecks are trying to revive him and cohen's people are like "if he wakes up as sascha they will put a bullet in him". he comes up half revived and groggy but still keeps the borat accent! incredible.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I liked it, but a lil too much for me...

yet,

hehe