David Sanborn, Tom Scott or Michael Brecker ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Which one has the best solo discography ?

Comments

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Wow, a Brecker fan? I'll say Randy but i' m biased and surprised at the same time because my uncle Chris was the drummer in The Brecker Brothers. My dad's got a bunch of rare stuff at his house actually i'll have to dig through it and put it up on here

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Wow, a Brecker fan? I'll say Randy but i' m biased and surprised at the same time because my uncle Chris was the drummer in The Brecker Brothers. My dad's got a bunch of rare stuff at his house actually i'll have to dig through it and put it up on here

Yes... ( and David Sanborn was good too, but )

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    None of the above

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They're equally tepid.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    2 saxophonists and a trumpeter? hmm.

maybe you meant Michael Brecker (since he played the same instrument as the 1st 2 you mentioned)

can't really comment on solo discography, but in terms of overall career and musical concept, i'd say Brecker hands down (RIP)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    gross

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

maybe you meant Michael Brecker (since he played the same instrument as the 1st 2 you mentioned)

can't really comment on solo discography, but in terms of overall career and musical concept, i'd say Brecker hands down (RIP)

I was thinking the same thing about overall career.

Sanborn has a signature sound, and little else best I can tell.
    Tom Scott has a signature sound and a little more.
    Brecker [thanks for pointing out Michael not Randy] seemed to be both versatile and imaginative to me.

My thoughts are based not on solo lps, I don't listen to that much light jazz sax, but their studio work.

Scott gets points for his work with Joni Mitchell. [The other 2 probably worked with her too.] And more points for being the most sampled.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This thread has potential.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Sanborn was decent when he was still a caveman.

He ruins 'Young Americans'.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    from a samples point of view its nodoubt tom scott who gets props!! cant recall brecker or sanborn having any solo joints worth mentioning while tom scott has at least two.. and yeah he also did that fritz the cat ost which was pretty cool, right..

you are correct I meant Michael...

Sanborn has a signature sound, and little else best I can tell.
    Tom Scott has a signature sound and a little more.

yes you can tell it's them when you hear them on other people records....

The First 2 Sanborn records are not that bad, and Tom Scott played with L.A. Express (which I never heard yet....)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I can just tolerate him on the 70s Gil Evans recordings, but really, who wants to hear a Sanborn solo when you've got Billy Harper in the lineup?

This thread is like a battle of the SNL saxes. The amante della smooth jazz is back. Hi strider

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    brecker.

peace, stein. . .

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this is kinda like having to choose between vomit, pus or feces

I can just tolerate him on the 70s Gil Evans recordings, but really, who wants to hear a Sanborn solo when you've got Billy Harper in the lineup?

This thread is like a battle of the SNL saxes. The amante della smooth jazz is back. Hi strider

CIAO, ehm I meant CTI !!!!!

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    I reckon all these cats did their best work guesting on other peoples stuff... when they were running the ship it gets grim. Check Brecker out on pat Metheny's ECM recording called 80/81 though... he's playing alongside Charlie Haden, Jack Dejohnette and Dewey Redman and actually sounds like he's human after all.

I reckon all these cats did their best work guesting on other peoples stuff...

so what's their guest performance you dig the most ?

here are my favourite:

Sanborn on "Angel" on Gil Evans plays Hendrix

Brecker's solo on "Baretta's Theme" on Ron Carter's Anything Goes

Scott's performance in "Betty's theme" on the Taxi Driver ost...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Tom Scott on Ladys Of The Canyon lp.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    none of them as solo artists

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Despite a lot of tepid fuzaky output, as players I like them all and I don't care. They can all surf the opiate wave of The LA/NY-Session-Legends sound.

Sanborn because has a more bluesy edge and that live-in-the-studio disc ("Straight To The Heart") with Marcus Miller, Hiram Bullock and Don Grolnick is one I've liked for ages.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts

so what's their guest performance you dig the most ?

Brecker - smokes it on I Want To Be Happy on Don Grolnicks Dream Weaver + the afore mentioned Metheny recording.

Sanborn - can't go past Young Americans or the Gil Evans, but alos Pheobe Snow's Second Childhood album... my mum used play this all the time when I was a kid and it pretty much got me into playing the saxophone.

Scott - acutually, Today aside, not a fan at all.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    David Sanborn's TV show was actually pretty hip. Guests like Sonic Youth, Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra, The Pixies, Miles Davis, Sun Ra, Rufus Thomas. Basically eclectic as hell

that's true- the TV show was ridiculously good. but i don't remember him playing on it at all (which maybe had something to do with the quality ; i only remember him as the host.

• that's true- the TV show was ridiculously good. but i don't remember him playing on it at all (which maybe had something to do with the quality ; i only remember him as the host.

Sanborn led the house band and played with many of the guests. At some point Jools Holland took over.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Jools Holland was a bad choice. He's good on the UK show he has ("Later with Jools Holland") which is the same format, but his cracks and humour have no currency in the US and A.

that's true- the TV show was ridiculously good. but i don't remember him playing on it at all (which maybe had something to do with the quality ; i only remember him as the host.

Sanborn led the house band and played with many of the guests. At some point Jools Holland took over.

aah ok. i guess what i'm remembering is that his own music usually wasn't featured.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

aah ok. i guess what i'm remembering is that his own music usually wasn't featured.

I think Jools Holland was only on during the first season. And he was cohosting with Sanborn, he didn't take over.