STEAK Thread

2»

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    F*ck do I want a steak right now.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    this thread is timely for me. well it is the summer.

i got a thick 1 3/4 porterhouse in the fridge right now defrosting for tonight. spent too much on the damn thing, but it is localvore organic grass fed beef and will feed the two of us.

i tend to think doing one of these every 3 months has a monetary and health benefit: it's had to eat cardboard McMeat crap very often when you have a lingering memory of what good beef really tastes like.

i dig the pre-grill seasoning reco's upthread.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Love to grill but lately I've been putting the frying pan to use.

For awhile, I was marinating in: soy sauce, water, sugar, herbs and spices.

The past few weeks, I've been using: olive oil, herbs and spice.

Each work great in their own way.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Prefer grilled....but flash seared and then put in the oven with some salt, little pepper, shit tons of Worstechire and painted with a nice Dijon.....yeeeeaaaaa.

• Cattlemens!! In Fabens TX. 20 miles east of El Paso TX.
    Fillet Mignon or Ribeye - Medium Rare!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i love a halal bavette marination

but my marinade is redwine,maggi,garlic salt

then ''rince'' and tandorii dry rub

pesto baste and throw on the grill

had a delicious angus rib eye the other day

use the marinade to reduce oignons and garlic flower

serve with rosated red perppers

• Porter House
    -Lawrys Seasoning Salt
    -Pepper
    -Touch of Garlice Powder
    - Worsteshire

Man, get your ass back to Texas....Let's DO THIS!!!

Soon brotha
    I'm still looken foward to seeing the hommies in sept.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    F*ck man, now I'm fiending for a steak. What should a first time steak creator try out?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    F*ck man, now I'm fiending for a steak. What should a first time steak creator try out?

I'd start with a rib-eye. Tender and well marbled, it needs almost no preparation, just a little salt and pepper. Pretty much the only way you could ruin it is to overcook it. Be sure to let it rest a few minutes after cooking it before cutting it. The high heat of the grill or skillet drives the fluids into the center of the steak, resting allows the juices to flow back to the outer portions of the meat.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Or if you want to go a little cheaper, buy a sirloin but you need to marinate it in something acidic before cooking--red wine works well, or balsamic vinegar and soy sauce with a little crushed garlic.

edit: or just let it sit in a bottle of Italian Salad Dressing, pretty easy and works well for sirloin or london broil

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Cattlemens!! In Fabens TX. 20 miles east of El Paso TX.

Cattlemans is awesome. My friend's dad owns that place. Last time he visited El Paso he brought me back some huge Porterhouse steaks from there. Each steak weighed over 2 pounds. They make some great rub too. I just ran out of my stash and need to get some more.

• Cattlemens!! In Fabens TX. 20 miles east of El Paso TX.

Cattlemans is awesome. My friend's dad owns that place. Last time he visited El Paso he brought me back some huge Porterhouse steaks from there. Each steak weighed over 2 pounds. They make some great rub too. I just ran out of my stash and need to get some more.

Thats dope man. Everytime i head back home, I hit that spot up. The corn on the cobb is dope too! I'm gettin hungered. Peace

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    To each his own, but it seems to me like some of you guys are adding too many condiments. The last thing you should be doing with a good piece of meat is ruining it with all these additives & excessive manipulation. IMO it is to be eaten with salt & maybe black pepper everythiing else just ends up hiding it's true flavor. Besides, adding salt prior to cooking will extract more juices making the meat dryer.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

fuk yall, I use this and the skillet when I want. I make a mad three grilled cheese on that foreman. Don't act like you didn't get one for housewarming, gift, or whatever. I use it, it works.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

STEAK TIPS, BOSTON HEADS STAND UP!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

fuk yall, I use this and the skillet when I want. I make a mad three grilled cheese on that foreman. Don't act like you didn't get one for housewarming, gift, or whatever. I use it, it works.

No way would i throw an expensive piece of meat on that Foremen shit.

Plastic Non-stick = NAGL. Shit is fine for some grilled processed cheese and white supermarket bread.

Besides....I WANT the FAT to remain IN the skillet.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Question...Which is better, a gas or charcoal grill? It's a little off topic but I'm ready to cook my steaks outdoors.

• In my experience, Charcoal, hands down.
    Gas imparts a gas-esque taste to steak for me.
    I think fish works fine with gas, though.
    Maybe it has something to do with the flesh density, idk.

Oh, and can someone break down the science of MARINADE to me?
    I admit my MARINADE game is weak.
    I've even done the salad dressing thing.
    Sorry.
    Tips?

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    the science of a pefect steak:
    the piece has to be at least 400g of Entrecote, well marbled, hung for at teast 21 days. you need a real good Butcher for that.
    Marinate the steak for at least two days (better 4) in Coke, Soy sauce, olive oil fresh Garlic, and herbs in a vaccum bag.

take it out of the fridge 3 hours before you will eat it.

1 Hour before git your hands on the knife and fork, open the bag and put the steak in the ofen, for 45 minutes at exactly 65 degrees celsius.

Make sure you have cold beer.

If you like sides, go ahead with the salad / Corn / Spinach.

heat a steel pan to almost yellow - orange

prepare a 2. pan where you melt 80 g Butter with fresh herbs, fresh garlic, and a piece of fresh mexican Vanilla.

put one spoon of oil in the Pan and fry the steak exactly 30 seconds on each side.

put the steak in the otherpan, pour the melted butter over the steak.

let it sit for another 2 minutes, put fleur de sel and real good pepper on it.

enjoy.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    In my experience, Charcoal, hands down.
    Gas imparts a gas-esque taste to steak for me.
    I think fish works fine with gas, though.
    Maybe it has something to do with the flesh density, idk.

Oh, and can someone break down the science of MARINADE to me?
    I admit my MARINADE game is weak.
    I've even done the salad dressing thing.
    Sorry.
    Tips?

Charcoal > Gas.

If u own a gas grill u can cop some wood chips to impart the smoke flavor.

Marinade = Acid to break down the flesh.

Lime,Lemon,Buttermilk,Vinegar,Orange,Grapefruit,Wines,Liquors,Onion juice,etc.

There are a gang of marinade combos that compliment all types of flesh.

Google that shit and get ur game up.

• does anyone here eat steak tartare?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    does anyone here eat steak tartare?

hell yes.

but best steak in the world is a proper COTE DE BOEUF:

• google that shit and get ur game up.

Nah, dude. Soulstrut IS my google.

Seriously though, I'm aware of what marinade does basically,
    I was more asking about the different acids in regards to
    all of these different cuts of meat.
    I get that you should always marinate the tougher cuts,
    but what about the strips and such?
    Overkill?
    Still necessary?
    Lemon better than wine for filet?

That kinda thing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Question...Which is better, a gas or charcoal grill? It's a little off topic but I'm ready to cook my steaks outdoors.

Aside from lacking the smoky taste of good charcoal, the other problem with gas is that it gives off steam as it burns, which makes getting a good sear a bit difficult.

You can get good results with gas, but charcoal is better.

Do not use starter fluid or match-light charcoal, though. Buy or make a charcoal starting can - it's easier and you'll never get that petroleum taste, which stands out to me and has ruined a couple of otherwise great grilling experiences.

http://www.opentutorial.com/Make_a_charcoal_chimney

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    WOOD[/b] > Charcoal > Gas

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Coke, Soy sauce.