Philly: what the deal (racist pool policies-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html"More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.Kids at Creative Steps Day Camp were thrilled to go swimming once a week at the Valley Swim Club. But after only one trip to the private club, they were..."I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise. "When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately." The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded. "I said, 'The parents don't want the refund. They want a place for their children to swim,'" camp director Aetha Wright said. Campers remain unsure why they're no longer welcome. "They just kicked us out. And we were about to go. Had our swim things and everything," said camper Simer Burwell. The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded. "There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion ??? and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.While the parents await an apology, the camp is scrambling to find a new place for the kids to beat the summer heat." (obviously)

Comments

• Holy crap...

b/w

See you in court you racist motherf*ckers...

b/w

Holy crap....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

wait ... what?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    This is surprising?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    This is surprising?

As Sly Stone put it, it's the "Skin I'm In." This reminds me of how my former colleagues just couldn't understand why I hated Milwaukee. Speaking of that, here is an interesting (and racist) Milwaukee-based audit study.

Pager, D. (2003). The mark of a criminal record. American Journal of Sociology, 108, 937-975.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's just that they are so upfront about it. One would expect some BS smokescreen,
    not "oh, you see, we just don't allow black people in the pool"

It would be a shame if someone ***** a **** through the front ****** of that place.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But they seem to have a minority child in the pic on their facilities page...

http://www.thevalleyclub.com/facilities.html

Tho, take a closer look at the sign posted next to him.

This is some really straight up bullshit.

This is not in Philly by the way... not that its any better but PA is one of your more racist states. We do possess three of the four major sports championships though.

• Here's their email if anyone feels like dropping them a line: [email]info@thevalleyclub.com[/email]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

See you in court you racist motherf*ckers...

b/w

Holy crap....

• This is not in Philly by the way... not that its any better but PA is one of your more racist states. We do possess three of the four major sports championships though.

It's suburban Philly. Right up near Willow Grove.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    The main line is full of rich entitled asshats. This is not surprising. I hope that club gets fucked up in court.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    someone should sneak in at night and piss in there pool.... every night.

thats shits fucked up....you'd expect more outrage and protests.

Hope they get sued till they loose their damn club...

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    The main line is full of rich entitled asshats. This is not surprising. I hope that club gets fucked up in court.

this is not on the main line or anywhere near it. it's in huntington valley.

it doesn't matter where though, it's disgusting.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

this is not on the main line or anywhere near it. it's in huntington valley.

it doesn't matter where though, it's disgusting.

I should have checked the address, saw the valley..thought great valley, either way...foul.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It's Far Northeast Philadelphia. Technically it may be just across the city border, but it's Philadelphia.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is surprising?

Yes, because electing Obama was supposed to make race no longer relevant, Ray! Did only my White folks get that memo?

Those kids have a lot of nerve reminding people in Philly that Black kids live there too.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Their website is offline now?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    This story just made MSNBC.

So, who is going to step in front of this story first, Sharpton or Jackson?

This club has just opened a world of hurt upon themselves.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    We have a great City Pool in my neighborhood. And just up the street is a private swim club that has no black people.

It's Far Northeast Philadelphia. Technically it may be just across the city border, but it's Philadelphia.

It not Philly, I thought you knew better... It would be called Philly if it was but its not... ofcourse theres a line that separates the two and Philly people walk across it all day, but its called Huntingdon Valley.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You ever hear the saying "Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is Alabama" - well the same thing applies to this area right outside of Philly to the North East. Shit, I think Bucks County had the largest registered members of the John Birch Society at one point, or something like that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Sharpton or Jackson?

Hopefully neither.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Will there really be a lawsuit?

Would the pool lose?

My understanding is a private club can choose to exclude who ever they want for what ever reasons they want.

They can even state a policy of not admitting Blacks.

I think a court case would have to prove that they are a public pool masquerading as private club for the sole purpose of excluding Blacks.

Thus August National can exclude women, Boy Scouts can exclude gays and atheists.

Or I might be wrong.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

No, I believe this is no longer legal.

• Will there really be a lawsuit?

Would the pool lose?

My understanding is a private club can choose to exclude who ever they want for what ever reasons they want.

I think a court case would have to prove that they are a public pool masquerading as private club for the sole purpose of excluding Blacks.

Thus August National can exclude women, Boy Scouts can exclude gays and atheists.

Or I might be wrong.

In this case it looks like they sold a bill of goods to the day camp and then dropped a load in their drawers when the black kids showed up.

Big mistake b/w cha-ching....

No, I believe this is no longer legal.

You would think.

Would the pool lose?

Or I might be wrong.

In this case it looks like they sold a bill of goods to the day camp and then dropped a load in their drawers when the black kids showed up.

Lets hope they get paid and the club starts getting it right.

Would the pool lose?

Or I might be wrong.

Lets hope they get paid and the club closes forever because of bankruptcy[/b].

Would the pool lose?

Or I might be wrong.

You know, I was starting to write that, then decided it wouldn't happen that way and getting it right is a good thing anyway.

How about this: Lets hope they get paid and the club's board all go to jail.[/b]

Would the pool lose?

Or I might be wrong.

You know, I was starting to write that, then decided it wouldn't happen that way and getting it right is a good thing anyway.

How about this: Lets hope they get paid and the club's board all go to jail.[/b]

Even better.