what is old school?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Dumbass hypeman/DJ tonight says "y'all like old school???!!!" and then throws on...Will Smith's "welcome to Miami." Sure dude was a dumbass but I'm sayin'...I feel old sometimes. So what's the cutoff year for "old school"???

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Will Smith's "welcome to Miami." Sure dude was a dumbass but I'm sayin'...I feel old sometimes. So what's the cutoff year for "old school"???

It's ever-changing, like my underwear during the school year.

I honestly would say that these days it would be anything from about 3 years ago back. If it has has dipped off the radio for a few months then it is "old school".

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Dumbass hypeman/DJ tonight says "y'all like old school???!!!" and then throws on...

Will Smith's "welcome to Miami." Sure dude was a dumbass but I'm sayin'...I feel old sometimes. So what's the cutoff year for "old school"???

That's Montreal for you.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anything before Run-Dmc's first single "Sucker Mcs/Its Like That". IMO

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    IMO... Old skewl is anything not in the same decade as the one ur in.

So, nothin' in 2000...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I honestly would say that these days it would be anything from about 3 years ago back. If it has has dipped off the radio for a few months then it is "old school".

seems like the case.

So, nothin' in 2000...

Im sorry but Master P isnt Old School to me. I feel the pre-industrialized/record label HIP HOP era is the Blueprint for what cats built upon.
    Shit that's just "old" shouldnt be plopped into the Old School catagory due to easy labeling.
    The So-called "Golden Era" is about 12 years into the game. How can the JB's first album be called "old school"? Imo.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Anything before Run-Dmc's first single "Sucker Mcs/Its Like That". IMO

Yo,

Let's use this as opportunity to post some dope music. Sound quality is rough...

The Funky 4 + 1 @ The T-Connection pt 8(Thanks To Big Chan):

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3L879IB2C7O0W0L964R53HN7AX

Please to follow with classic old school tracks. I need some fresh vibes.

So, nothin' in 2000...

Im sorry but Master P isnt Old School to me. I feel the pre-industrialized/record label HIP HOP era is the Blueprint for what cats built upon.
    Shit that's just "old" shouldnt be plopped into the Old School catagory due to easy labeling.
    The So-called "Golden Era" is about 12 years into the game. How can the JB's first album be called "old school"? Imo.

Your right.. For anyone that really really cares (The few I might add) about making up a ton of sub categories. Master P ain't old school.

But to the regular listening and buying public, shit P dropped pre 95 is old school. Damn.. 99 Ways to Die is now 10 years old.

But the thing people need to remember, everything is different to each individual person. What might be old school to them, is in no way old school to another.

I don't think of hip hop from 83-93 as old school... Cause that was my music. Old school to me is the stuff that was around before I started listening to it.

But like I said. To each his own.

So, nothin' in 2000...

Your right.. For anyone that really really cares (The few I might add) about making up a ton of sub categories. Master P ain't old school.

But to the regular listening and buying public, shit P dropped pre 95 is old school. Damn.. 99 Ways to Die is now 10 years old.

But the thing people need to remember, everything is different to each individual person. What might be old school to them, is in no way old school to another.

But there are historical shifts in the music that have to be acknowledged. If JOe Schmo picked up a copy of 36 Chambers last year,and calls it old school, well, his individuality shouldnt overpower the history of the game. Kids have to learn when shit comes out and understand its proper context. That's how dummies yell out to people" Welcome to Miami is old school". I cant co-sign w/ that ignorance.

So, nothin' in 2000...

But there are historical shifts in the music that have to be acknowledged. If JOe Schmo picked up a copy of 36 Chambers last year,and calls it old school, well, his individuality shouldnt overpower the history of the game. Kids have to learn when shit comes out and understand its proper context. That's how dummies yell out to people" Welcome to Miami is old school". I cant co-sign w/ that ignorance.

The thing is, if "JOe Schmo" is 15 and picks up a copy of 36 Chambers and knows nothing about it at all. And he listens to it for the very first time and is like "Thisshitisfuckingdope..." is it old school to him? It's isn't until someone tells him different.

Fuck catagorising music anyways. I can remember when house was house and then it started to turn into 30 different types of house over night. To 98% of the world, no one cares if it's old or not... Just if they like the track or not.

• Anything before Run-Dmc's first single "Sucker Mcs/Its Like That". IMO

Yo,

Let's use this as opportunity to post some dope music. Sound quality is rough...

The Funky 4 + 1 @ The T-Connection pt 8(Thanks To Big Chan):

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3L879IB2C7O0W0L964R53HN7AX

Please to follow with classic old school tracks. I need some fresh vibes.

Ron C

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Anything before Run-Dmc's first single "Sucker Mcs/Its Like That".

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Olds Kool....

The ladies know.

Super Nature - The Show Stoppa (is stupid Fresh)

(the mimicing of Slick Rick is Hilarious)

More from the ladies.

Roxanne Shante- Queen of Rox

Props to this Dood.

D. ST- Home of Hip Hop

Party People.

jazzy Jay- Cold Chillin' in the Spot

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i was djing a party in 2004 and i played P.I.M.P. by 50 cent and a guy came up and goes "do you have anything new or is this an old school party" and he was completeley serious...

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    It seems like some people define "old school" by where something falls on the timeliine in relation to the present day whereas others define it relative to when rap began. I think that is the big difference in the perceptions of a lot of regular (non record nerd) folks and many people here.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Superrappin

Sha na na na!

It seems like some people define "old school" by where something falls on the timeliine in relation to the present day whereas others define it relative to when rap began. I think that is the big difference in the perceptions of a lot of regular (non record nerd) folks and many people here.

I always liked Chuck D's Breakdown of the different eras in the linear notes of "It Takes A Nation of Millions........." Quite accurate.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    --some nice old school hip hop--

funky constellation-

danny rene and the charisma crew-

outlaw four-

rappermatical 5-

winley sistas

--------------------------------

and apparently anyone over the age of 26 at this point......

Count Coolout

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the term "old school" has very nearly become derogative. You guys need a new name for some of the pioneers you all are talking about. Lots of them dont wanna be called old school dudes.

I completely agree with you B-Sides. How about Pioneers. That gives credit where credit is deserved.

Dumbass hypeman/DJ tonight says "y'all like some "Pioneers" and then throws on...

Will Smith's "welcome to Miami." Sure dude was a dumbass but I'm sayin'...I feel old sometimes. So what's the cutoff year for "Pioneers"???

That gives credit where credit is deserved.