ACOUTRUMON

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
cotdammit.... don't laugh at me, soulstrut, but this brotha on CNN with the purple tie just went into his Bryant Gumbel bag and pulled out some schitt and said it like i'm supposed to know what he's talkin' bout but i ain't never heard this schitt before in my life... sounds like he said "acoutrumon" but i know that's not spelled right.... guess it's some french ass schitt... what the f--k does "ACOUTRUMON" mean??? i go to y'all when i need to know about schitt like this, so don't laugh at me soulstrut

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accoutrement

Only in Jamaica is it spelled acoutrumon.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    It's originally a French word i believe, hence the pronunciation.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It's originally a French word i believe, hence the pronunciation.

oh ok, cuz that brotha spit that schitt out like his name was Jacques Pierre Jenkins... i didn't even know it was english! lolol
    see, this is why a lot of tests and such things are biased... i bet 96% of soulstrut is familiar with this word, but it might as well be the Klingon language to hood people such as myself. I'm sure I've seen it in print, but NEVER heard anybody say that schitt outloud. I must say, I do love words though. Gotta add that one to my list on my Dictionary app. Thanks, Soulstrut!

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accoutrement

Only in Jamaica is it spelled acoutrumon.

That shit is funny. We use it in the wine/food biz on the regular.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    dude's looking for the provenance of accoutrement yahurdme

i say both of those: provenance and accoutrement.

don't know any Klingon.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    don't know any Klingon.

preemptive denial...good move nerd bro.

best believe i just spent the last minute and a half looking for a working spanglish-to-klingon translator on the web...

F U!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    just translate your klingon to english bluhd
    I'll read it.

you're sharp tonight cabron...very shoarp...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Has anyone ever used this word in a Hip Hop song? I'm being serious.

I remember when I heard someone use "fulcrum" in a rap once. I was excited because who says "fulcrum" in a rap, you know?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    who says "fulcrum" in a rap, you know?

Only some dude who has all the accoutrement.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I remember when I heard someone use "fulcrum" in a rap once. I was excited because who says "fulcrum" in a rap, you know?
    Yeah. I remember being a bookish kid geeking off of MC Lyte using "thus far."

This reminds me of a long-standing query from the one Terry_Clubbup: Has the verb "effervesce" ever been used in a rap? I can think of a couple instances of the noun "effervescence" ("Old To The New" and "Fatty Girl"), but not the verb. It seems like the kind of shit that surely E-40 must have used at one point--"I effervesce skraight lanquid, mayne" or something--but I can't say that with any certaintidity.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Hey, I've got one for the old-schoole dudes: For a long time I thought those coats were "Cordurfields" or "Corterfields" or something like that--some weird brand name--but am I correct that they're actually "quarter field" coats? Like, a type of coat rather than a brand of coat? Anyone who can help me out, the next time you're in Chicago we can dip into Marshall's and I'll rack you some slightly irregular British Walkers.

• I definitely used to think "brought to you by" at the end of shows like wheel of fortune (this program brought to you by), was broughtuyubi, and I had no clue what the word meant.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

This reminds me of a long-standing query from the one Terry_Clubbup: Has the verb "effervesce" ever been used in a rap? I can think of a couple instances of the noun "effervescence" ("Old To The New" and "Fatty Girl"), but not the verb. It seems like the kind of shit that surely E-40 must have used at one point--"I effervesce skraight lanquid, mayne" or something--but I can't say that with any certaintidity.

Mike G (I think) used the word on the Jungle Brothers "How Ya Want It" but not as a verb. I believe the line was "If you want to test the effervesce." At least I think that's the line. Realer headz than I might be able to correct me.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    [It seems like the kind of shit that surely E-40 must have used at one point--"I effervesce skraight lanquid, mayne" or something--but I can't say that with any certaintidity.

We need an "effervescin' lanquid" graemlin on the dub.

he said that schitt and martin luther king's kids just looked at him like

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread is hilarious.

B/W

I actually use the word "accoutrement" on the regular hahah...

i mistakenly hit edit instead of reply and totally effed up my last poast, but anyway...

on my upcoming random rap album i have a song i did back in 1989 called "grandiloquence" in which i use words like passado, incommunicado (yep, i made those two rhyme), excogitate, preliterate, farrago, vociferate, immolate, inculcate, esurient and illaudable. yet no knowledge of accoutrement, 'specially not said in the faux french accent that that fool on tv used in a very grandiloquent manner. as i poasted up above, after he said that schitt MLK's kids were lookin' at homeboy like

Cosmo, you with yours, son!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Cosmo, you with yours, son!

Yeah Phill I go in like a motherfucker on that type of shit, I kid you not.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah. I remember being a bookish kid geeking off of MC Lyte using "thus far."

Rakim used it (again as a noun) in an ill-conceived strictly-for-the-ladies jam off his 18th Letter comeback:

I'm in effect mode, I keep the ep sewed
    When you express your finesse to your dress code
    Every step's a pose, you've been blessed and it shows
    My interest grows, the effervesce explodes[/b]
    Because this chick's characteristic's mystic
    Hips are thick, just a little bit of lipstick
    Can't resist it, description Egyptian smile
    Queen of the Nile, that means she dipped in style

What was the God thinking?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've never heard of this word before

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    It can also refer to that which you are workin with.

"Those leggings show off her acoutrements very nicely"