Is Chico Hamilton one of the greatest?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
I listened to a lot of Chico Hamilton this weekend. I don't really hear him mentioned as one of the greatest drummers? I also don't hear his records mentioned a lot. His bands had a lot of talent pass through--not unlike Blakey's bands. Dolphy, Lloyd, Szabo, etc.What are some of your favorite Chico Hamilton records?b/w

Comments

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I dig this...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the dealer

a trip

for mods only

• yeah, he is underrated. i like these ones:

el exigente
    the dealer
    soundtrack for "sweet smell of success" (he appears in it briefly and it is just a great movie all around)
    chico and the playboys

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've been meaning to start a thread seeking Chico advice.

At his best, he's fantastic, but I find his catalog hard to navigate, as schmaltzy records like The Gamut come on the same label in the same era as winners like The Head Hunters.

I ride for everything I've heard from him on Impulse. I don't know much of his 70s work as leader.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Not a huge fan of his 70's work but I love his 60's work.
    All the stuff with Szabo as sideman is great imo.

• minimini 879 Posts
    I only have El exigente and Peregrinations. Like them both

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

At his best, he's fantastic, but I find his catalog hard to navigate, as schmaltzy records like The Gamut come on the same label in the same era as winners like The Head Hunters.

I ride for everything I've heard from him on Impulse. I don't know much of his 70s work as leader.

Have you heard the Pacific stuff? More like chamber jazz, but still soulful. Nice cello by Fred Katz or Nathan Gershman. Obviously the titles with Dolphy are the best, but Buddy Collette holds it down pretty well as the reedman on others.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Have you heard the Pacific stuff? More like chamber jazz, but still soulful. Nice cello by Fred Katz or Nathan Gershman. Obviously the titles with Dolphy are the best, but Buddy Collette holds it down pretty well as the reedman on others.

Sound like I'd be into that. Thanks for the tips.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    definitely one of the greatest and very underappreciated

i'd say his legacy as a bandleader is more important than as a drummer (not to take anything away from his instrumental skills- he was obviously a master drummer)