Killers on Jewel

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
everytime I turn around Im knocked out by a 45 on Jewel (the LA one, not the Ohio one) I am sure I am missing some good ones, list 'em...here are the ones I like a lotPeppermint Harris "wait until it happens to you"Frank frost "My Back Scratcher"Jimmie Preacher Ellie "gonna do it by myself"Billy Joe Young "The Push"Ted Taylor "close your eyes"George Wild Child Butler "Jelly Jam"Banny Price "You Love me Pretty Baby"Little Joe Blue "Standing On The Threshold"

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ^^^
    dont know why I forgot that one, considering I played it out saturday night..oooppps.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'm partial to Charles Brown "I Don't Know", also there are a carpload of Lightnin' Hopkins 45s which I can't not buy if you want to go down that route.

• Jesse Gresham - Get It Where You Find It b/w Bust Out

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    the Carter Brothers - So Glad She's Mine
    the Carter Brothers - I Don't Care
    Jerry McCain - Love Ain't Nothin' To Play With
    Big Mac - That???s The Way To Treat Your Woman
    Wallace Brothers - Woman Hang Your Head In Shame

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

dang, another one in my box I forgot about

methinks a legit compilation is in order...has anyone ever raided the vaults? I could only imagine there is some great unissued stuff...

the Carter Brothers - So Glad She's Mine
    the Carter Brothers - I Don't Care
    damn, forgot all about the Carters, quality.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I did a Jewel/Ronn/Paula tribute thread back in Dec. '07 (or so)...a lot of ground was covered there.

everytime I turn around Im knocked out by a 45 on Jewel (the LA one, not the Ohio one) I am sure I am missing some good ones, list 'em...here are the ones I like a lot

Peppermint Harris "wait until it happens to you"
    Frank frost "My Back Scratcher"
    Jimmie Preacher Ellie "gonna do it by myself"
    Billy Joe Young "The Push"
    Ted Taylor "close your eyes"
    George Wild Child Butler "Jelly Jam"
    Banny Price "You Love me Pretty Baby"
    Little Joe Blue "Standing On The Threshold"

Buster Benton
    Toussaint McCall
    Bobby Patterson
    Violinaires
    Uniques
    African Music Machine

(no specific titles, they're all good in general)

methinks a legit compilation is in order...has anyone ever raided the vaults? I could only imagine there is some great unissued stuff...

Charly reissued the HELL out of this label back in the eighties.

Fuel 2000 (owned by the same guy who owned Jewel) has been rereleasing the masters on CD lately.

There was a Jewel Records box set put out by Capricorn in the nineties. Don't know if it's still in print.

I should add that Jewel kept that stuff in print themselves for the longest time. I think they're inactive now (if not totally out of the business), but in the '80s I seem to remember that they were reissuing their stuff with frequency (although their releases weren't as classy as Charly's).

yeah, they were reissuing 45s even on horrible flimsy colored vinyl all through the 80s, maybe early 90s too.

i still kinda like the fact that this small family-owned label from the sixties stayed in business as long as it did

up until CD's finally took over in 1990, it wasnt uncommon to see old-time labels like Jewel still holding on