Does John Cougar Mellencamp get the SS pass? (RR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
It's probably the 4th that has me thinking about JCM -- I like "Cherry Bomb", "Jack and Diane," "Pink Houses" and "Check It Out" among others.Does he get the SS pass?

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    John Couger - Yes
    John Couger Mellencamp - Maybe
    John Mellencamp - No

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    John Couger - Yes
    John Mellencamp - No

spot on.

peace, stein. . .

• John Couger - Yes
    John Mellencamp - No

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    John Couger - Yes
    John Mellencamp - No

I agree. I saw him live back in the early 90s with a bunch of friends, he was great in concert. Like Tom Petty, you forget how many hits he had, and how many of them really stand the test of time and are simply amazingly crafted songs.

I ride for "Lonely Old Night" especially

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    guess i'm in the minority, i find mellencamp to be , regardless of name.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    John Couger - Yes
    John Mellencamp - No

That sounds about right.

I'll take the Uh Huh[/b] and Scarecrow[/b] era over what he has done in the last 20 years, but still a good artist.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was born in a small town
    And I lived in a small town
    And John Cougar Mallomar sucks

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    this is a story 'bout Jack and Dan
    coupla queers growing up in the heartland
    suckin' on a chilli dog behind the tastee freeze...

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    No.

John Cougar MenstrualCramp.

• he sucks

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    My mom and her mother before her are from Seymour Indiana, where JCM is from, so we kids/grandkids were sorta indoctrinated from a young age to respect his gangster.

I'm like whatever about him now. I enjoy his classics and they always remind me of my Grandma and spending childhood summers down in Seymour, so I guess I always sorta kinda be a fan.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I like to drop the "Authority Song" at parties. My crowd usually grew up with that song. Me like it to. Other schitt is harley davidson classic r.u.b. crap.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    My mom and her mother before her are from Seymour Indiana, where JCM is from, so we kids/grandkids were sorta indoctrinated from a young age to respect his gangster.

I'm like whatever about him now. I enjoy his classics and they always remind me of my Grandma and spending childhood summers down in Seymour, so I guess I always sorta kinda be a fan.

That's funny, I'm from this same "small town" in Southern Indiana...Yeah, his songs got shoved down our throats growing up. My dad and him were boys growing up, I can tell you first hand that dude is a straight up asshole in real life, and suffers terribly from short man syndrome.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Don't really like the music, but I'll ride for the Chevy advertisement. Heard an interview on NPR's "Fresh Air" over the weekend where he played a more folksy style and actually said he had to make his tunes more commercial to get them on the radio in the 1980s. Whatever, man.

A close friend of mine's mom's sister is/was married to him or something. There is a relation there. Ain't that America!