Hampton Hawes question (RR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
I was just recording the Hampton Hawes LP 'Universe', and as far as I can tell there's a song listed on side 2 (Love is Better) that isn't really there. I went back and checked the tracks for time to see if I missed a segue/break, but the three songs on that side that I recorded all check out for time. Anyone know what's up???

Comments

• On my copy "Love Is Better" appears on Side 1. There are four cuts on only two tracks on my side 1, with "Little Bird" at the beginning of "Drums of Peace" and what I assume to be "Love is Better" at the end of that cut. I think "Love is Better" is the solo electric piano tune. Hope that helps.

• On my copy "Love Is Better" appears on Side 1. There are four cuts on only two tracks on my side 1, with "Little Bird" at the beginning of "Drums of Peace" and what I assume to be "Love is Better" at the end of that cut. I think "Love is Better" is the solo electric piano tune. Hope that helps.

I had the sides reversed, but on the side where 'Love is Better' is listed, the times on the other three songs are correct, i.e. if 'Love Is Better' is part of the 'Drums for Peace' track it would have to be 11:38 long, instead of the listed 8:57 (which it is, roughly).

• Such a good record that rarely turns up. I'm surprised it doesn't go for more $.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yeah, my copy has these track listing oddities as well. I really enjoy this album. Noodly, but a hell of lot better than the crap Prestige put out in the early 70s. Nice originals, lots of rhodes, no (what would become) jazz fusion cliches.