MPC 2000xl storage.. recommendations?

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I have this zip drive hooked up to my MPC and for some reason I'm getting all kinds of errors when I try to save.Anybody have any suggestions for alternatives?

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Is the Zip SCSI? Has the disk been formatted?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i came to this strategy from a lot of pain and bullshit with zips.

go to a used computer shop with a lot of spare parts. better yet go to a surplus spot if you got one in your city. buy a 50-pin scsi drive (i have a 4 gig one, i think this was the max they made). From here you got multiple ways to connect it.

I put in a 50-pin scsi port on my desktop. i have the scsi hard drive inside, with an outside connector that connects direct to my MPC.

if you bring your MPC to gigs and shit though you need a portable bay for the drive. One solution is to take the cd-rom out of an old external scsi cd-rom. For a long time i cut open my jaz drive and shoved a hard drive in it (i was real mad at the jaz drive)..... there are also boxes specifically made for throwing in a scsi drive.

• Is the Zip SCSI? Has the disk been formatted?

Yeah it's a SCSI zip drive. I've never been able to format a disc on it, though (a friend kindly formatted a bunch for me).

I can open up files off the disk, but now when I try to save I get this error message (it didn't do that before).

• i came to this strategy from a lot of pain and bullshit with zips.

go to a used computer shop with a lot of spare parts. better yet go to a surplus spot if you got one in your city. buy a 50-pin scsi drive (i have a 4 gig one, i think this was the max they made). From here you got multiple ways to connect it.

I'll look into that, thanks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The most reliable storage option you can get for an MPC2000XL would be to add in a SCSI compact flash drive.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Also, call Akai and make sure you have the latest updates. I got some errors once and they sent me an update file disk for free.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Why do people even bother making beats on hardware anymore? There's so many reasons to go software I can't even list them. How much sampling time is on the average MPC, 14 seconds stereo? It just seems silly to me. I understand if that's what you've been using for years and years and you've got the shit on lock, but for the new jacks coming up, why bother? I can't imagine chopping up samples on that little shitty display...yuck.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Why do people even bother making beats on hardware anymore? There's so many reasons to go software I can't even list them. How much sampling time is on the average MPC, 14 seconds stereo? It just seems silly to me. I understand if that's what you've been using for years and years and you've got the shit on lock, but for the new jacks coming up, why bother? I can't imagine chopping up samples on that little shitty display...yuck.

Well, for starters you can play the MPC like drum pads so some people like the hands on feeling. Next you can get expansion memory on the MPC and have more memory than you will ever use.

It's like saying why would you use a hand saw when you can use a power saw. Who cares? Let people do what they want. Why eat food, you can live on power drinks!!!!!!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Well, for starters you can play the MPC like drum pads so some people like the hands on feeling. Next you can get expansion memory on the MPC and have more memory than you will ever use.

It's like saying why would you use a hand saw when you can use a power saw. Who cares? Let people do what they want. Why eat food, you can live on power drinks!!!!!!

Its quite easy use pads with your computer too.

You can live on power drinks?

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    i swapped the mpc's internal floppy for an 750MB ide zip drive.. works for me.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    So I have this zip drive hooked up to my MPC and for some reason I'm getting all kinds of errors when I try to save.

Anybody have any suggestions for alternatives?

d,
    There are a few tutorials on the interweb in regards to upgrading the MPCs storage options. There are a number of them out there, but I think these may proove to be the mose usefull...

good advice regarding storage on an MPC 2OOOxl:
    http://www.mpc2000xl.com/storage.htm

instructions on how install a 'muliti-card drive':
    http://www.smeyer.cistron.nl/mpc/

-