Bop Street Records (Seattle)?

LapurLapur 60 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone been to this place? Does the quality match the quantity? Is it worth an 800 mile drive from San Francisco?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    maybe if you took 101 up the coast... The people are nice, the bar next door has a peanutbutter and bacon burger, and the weather's been beautiful for a month straight...but gas is three bucks again, and man I dunno...

There are all these stories of "so and so stayed three days in the basement," but that's probably because the basement is so jumble jangle mega bramble.

I do always find something, and he seems pretty actively buying collections...

Rumors of a move later this year have been put to rest...

It's all about the little room off to the side, for me. Otherwise, you're looking at 35 copies dave brubeck time out...

good store though.

yeah, come on uP!

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    800 miles I don't think so. I could barely make it there from capitol hill when I lived in the area. He used to over-price everything. Just so you won't come up on him. But, you could find some stuff. It's really big. Lots of records. Have fun with Dave. It's worth a couple of days in the store.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    the homie alex works there... or he might own it now. massive amounts of pure crap with a few decent things peppered in. NOT worth an 800 mile drive, but if you were in the neighborhood, you should stop in....

you can almost see the one good record in this shot....

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    the homie alex works there... or he might own it now. massive amounts of pure crap with a few decent things peppered in. NOT worth an 800 mile drive, but if you were in the neighborhood, you should stop in....

And by good he means just ok not no Raer Heat. I haven't been in that place in over 10 years. Also, know that NOTHING is priced. He will make them up once you go to the counter depending on how he feels about you the same record will be anywhere from $5 to $100's. What a joke. He will look it up on popsike and ask for MORE than the highest price for a beat down copy. I highly do not suggest wasting any time there unless you need endless copies of Pete Fountain or Firestone Christmas.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

And by good he means just ok not no Raer Heat. I haven't been allowed[/b] in that place in over 10 years. Also, know that NOTHING is priced. He will make them up once you go to the counter depending on how he feels about you the same record will be anywhere from $5 to $100's. What a joke. He will look it up on popsike and ask for MORE than the highest price for a beat down copy. I highly do not suggest wasting any time there unless you need endless copies of Pete Fountain or Firestone Christmas.

thats not alex though, thats the crusty old dude. times are changing there, but still a lot of mediocre records.

always on the high end, for sure...and the "lemme look that one up" move is weak...

however: Respect Records' run is long over, so I don't really know what to do LOL... there are far too many bootlegs and fakes in all the Seattle stores--probably in every city, but still...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    however: Respect Records' run is long over, so I don't really know what to do LOL... there are far too many bootlegs and fakes in all the Seattle stores--probably in every city, but still...

What does this mean? Das not compute...

Alex aka DJ Newman from Giant Panda works there now (and may be buying the store I hear), he's the anti-Dave Vorhees (the shops current dipshit owner), he's a great guy who's up on the current record
    market and doesn't think every record is $30-$50 record. With his help they have begun to run the place more like a decent shop ie. prices tags and some semblance of organization.
    But if he's not there, you may have to tough road to hoe.
    Not worth a 800 mile drive to go there solely.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Alex may be buying the store???? Holy crap! I'm flying back this weekend. Respect Records R.I.P.

What does this mean? Das not compute...

I never walked out of Respect Records without something good. Dudes were cool. I don't have a record store in Seattle I feel I can just walk into and learn something new every time...nobody seems up on anything, so I have to rely on myself, and I am lame.

the fakes part is like I just get so tired of the stores that are stocked with the "brand new" shrinkwrapped bob dylan records or whatever...the lithuanian german croatian de la soul is deads etc...the only used sections I'll frequent are q.a. easy street and everyday music, and only e.m because it's down the street. I need some fresher used spots (I'm on the kplu scene, finally, a couple months late LOL)...I see all the easy streets and sonic booms as one big store that sells white stripes vinyl (disconnected--nice example lol) or whatever...

I need The Big Dig record show every week...maybe without the tallcans though

maybe it's just life in general, though...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OK I feel ya now...
    I kinda thought you were dogging Respect.
    Which would have shocked me, those are my f#%kin' dudes,
    I wish that shop was still around.

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    seattle is most def worth a drive up
    why
    1. private trade/ deals with seattle strutters
    2. tons of spots to dig
    move up to bellingham and work way down through seatown to portland. huh oly and tacoma have wax fools and tons of it.
    there is a shit ton of spots to hit and dont ask me where either.
    i collect hard everytime i make it to seattle
    i love diggin in that town, cuz the locals are cool and they love the wax.
    try kirkland ( dont ask me ) and two spots in bothel and woodenville ( dont ask)
    bop street i dont feel so much
    but seattle as a whole
    please if you cant score in seattle you are lazy.

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    Why stop at Bellingham when Blaine is beckoning? I also heard Blaine's Dairy Queen has the illest Peanut Buster Parfait in town.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Don't bother w/ Bellingham, I have the schitt on lock up here. Johhny Lewis/Overton Berry/Jasis/Jackdaw/ Papaya etc etc

Dave at Bop St can suck a million dicks, what a turd. I f*cking hate that guy, good to hear someone with brains will be taking it over. What will they do with their 9 trillion unpriced Barbara Streisand records now?