Recent Finds

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
All local digs from past week, no e-digs! woohoo!Played all these on my radio show too.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nice

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    you saved the best for last!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I don't know man.....I got it mostly cause of the connection to Boston. I never listen to it though....personally, I'd much rather listen to other 45s I picked up in that haul. Course I feel none of the "thrill of rarity" with it, cause we used to run across multiple 25 count boxes of those things!

EDIT: I should say, that I do dig the record. Just a little too jazzy for me.

-pj

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    damn nice 45s, I be happy to find any of those any day.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

I don't know man.....I got it mostly cause of the connection to Boston. I never listen to it though....personally, I'd much rather listen to other 45s I picked up in that haul. Course I feel none of the "thrill of rarity" with it, cause we used to run across multiple 25 count boxes of those things!

-pj

all those 45s are nice indeed... some of those exact titles ive turned up over the last few months, so i know theyre fun to play!

man, boxes of that stark 45...hard to picture... ive never been at ground zero of a warehouse find type situation, but that must have been a beautiful sight... my (one) copy was (to me) a lucky ass pull about 6 years ago and i dont expect to see another in the field anytime soon!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

-pj

awesome!
    downloading the radio show now
    thankyou

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That Marva tune is so insanely hard. Maybe my favorite thing of hers.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    You saved the gayest for next to last.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    That Marva tune is so insanely hard. Maybe my favorite thing of hers.

no joke. It's a monster.

And yes, I saved the "gaiee'est" for second to last.

PJ

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Happy to have finally completed Marie "Queenie" Lyons' 45 discography. This Sims one took a while to turn up, not expensive but elusive for the last year or so. The Eddie Bo has to have been to most overgraded 45 I've received off ebay in recent memory. Graded Near Mint on the auction, it arrived filthy & playing at about VG, after a clean it plays to about VG++/E, but I am amazed at what some people can send out & still have a clear conscience :shock: Needless to say the NM grade on the listing probably pushed the final bid up & it came in the post in a bubble mailer between two thin pieces of card, how it survived is beyond me. The fact that I got charged $10 for postage on it & the cost on the parcel was $3.80 made me mad too. I will not buy from that seller again. I know Eli Paperboy Reed gets clowned on around these parts, but I can't sleep on a funky version of "Ace Of Spades".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some real world finds

nice surprise, Ann's fine ass singing some cool tunes...I play out Bill Haley's "Thirteen Women" quite a bit, and there is a killer version on this LP...retitled "Thirteen Men", of course. So Bill can retire...now the only large, pasty white guy involved with my DJ sets, is well, me.

fuzz freak out Ive been hopin to dig up...aint no way in hell Im paying a bill for it on ebay, I dont think I could pay more than a couple bucks for any LP on CROWN. Hell no.

for some reason I photographed the string laden snoozefest side...its all about the flip on this one...killer up tempo R&B, "Here Am I"

killer Marvin from '62

extended my Xmas set by 5 1/2 minutes...2 great tunes

• minimini 879 Posts

• this is the same copy of forca bruta that i have, it plays waay better than any OG copy i've owned and the cover is pretty nice too.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Hook Up:

yeah, Ann Margaret has a lot of surprisingly good songs. There's a couple on "...And Here She Is!" which use fuzz guitar.

Mini:

Those Upsetters instrumentals are one of my favorites. Italian Westerns must have been huge in Jamaica at the time.

Hook Up:

yeah, Ann Margaret has a lot of surprisingly good songs. There's a couple on "...And Here She Is!" which use fuzz guitar.

yeah, the "Jim Dandy" on this LP has fuzz also...from '62!

• minimini 879 Posts
    this is the same copy of forca bruta that i have, it plays waay better than any OG copy i've owned and the cover is pretty nice too.

absolutely true.

• minimini 879 Posts

Mini:

Those Upsetters instrumentals are one of my favorites. Italian Westerns must have been huge in Jamaica at the time.

My favorites too. Happy to have them at last.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    flea market finds

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

boot sale finds
    not often i find trojan lp's even less often for $1

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    cheap comeups, a few cool ones from last week..

• Anybody have any info on this 12" ?
    Lo-Ren-Zo
    "She Just Might Be An Angel"
    Kaliph Records (Philly)

sealed TT & Whole Darn Fam

I got a bunch of great stuff this last trip back east. I'm having issues getting images online right now, though. That's the celly cam ^.

• Anybody have any info on this 12" ?
    Lo-Ren-Zo
    "She Just Might Be An Angel"
    Kaliph Records (Philly)

Secret french boogie collectro revealed! check it

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Angel?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Angel?

synthy italian related space rock on casablanca from 1977 has a pretty banging rock break and a moment or two, most of it is awfull though

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I think "Punky's Whips" has forever twisted my views of them.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Latest Latin coup. All in shrink.

• -that circus maximus has a nice jazzy ballad called "the wind" whihc is def. worth checking out

-that mandingo lp is pretty well done faux afro-funk.

[url=http://img199.imageshack.us/i/downbeatx.jpg/]

hit the thrifts todays as I had the day off...did ok

two sider killer...amazing sides

first record I saw today, been looking for it for a minute...

grabbed this on the hope that it might be moder side folks would pay a little money for...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is that a soul version of Mendicino? How is it?