miles VS coltrane

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
youngEINSTEIN Said:coltrane.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Miles

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If I take Miles' last 20 years out of consideration then he wins, but as a complete catalog I like Coltrane because he didn't get the chance to fall off.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If I take Miles' last 20 years out of consideration then he wins, but as a complete catalog I like Coltrane because he didn't get the chance to fall off.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    miles by miles....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Fortunately there's no real reason to choose, but Miles was behind more innovations as a player and band leader.

He started with Charlie Parker at 17, basically invented West Coast Jazz (and quickly moved on), his classic quintet was probably the most influential group in Jazz ever, and Kind Of Blue the most influential album. Then he had another classic group with Shorter, Hancock, Carter and Williams followed by his Bitches Brew/electric period.

There's no musician in any style of music with that kind of resume, IMO.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    yeah, but the youtube version of 'human nature' that batmon posted was terrible

real gag me with a spoon type shit

Fortunately there's no real reason to choose

I agree. I like both, I take the peaks and the valleys (although I tend to prefer Coltrane's low points over Miles'.)

Let's just agree and say Ellington[/b].

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Fortunately there's no real reason to choose, but Miles was behind more innovations as a player and band leader.

He started with Charlie Parker at 17, basically invented West Coast Jazz (and quickly moved on), his classic quintet was probably the most influential group in Jazz ever, and Kind Of Blue the most influential album. Then he had another classic group with Shorter, Hancock, Carter and Williams followed by his Bitches Brew/electric period.

Miles Covered Me

I,along w/ my brother solidified the teen group (Thanx Franki Lymon).

Im a great soul singer right there w/ all the greats.

I helped round out The Sound Of America (Motown).Im glad they omitted me from the Big Chill Soundtrack.

I resurrected the music industry w/ Off The Wall.

The Sylvers aint shit w/out me and my brothers.

I helped Quincy Jones.

I was the man before Thriller. White folks was sleepin on me after ABC until Eddie Van Halen played on my shit.

I created a motif that is still being cloned in 2009.

Teddy Riley was still Ghetto until Remember The Time.

My sister rocks my steez.

I was the first Brother on MTV which made it easier for Obama to become Pres.

I've mastered Soul,Blues,R&B,Disco,Funk,New Jack Swing,Neo Soul,Rock N Roll,Philly Soul,and the Quiet Storm.

Doubt Me.

• Miles.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    What they played, Miles.
    How they played, Trane.

Trane has something mad powerful. Even if you aren't paying it attention, you remember it.

TRANE.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Miles attitude/vision
    Coltrane's playing

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts

Werd...

Total frikin genius who led or was close to almost every serious development in Jazz from the mid-50s onward. His playing was always on fire... even in the 80s / 90s.

Also, in terms of pulling together THE dopest bands... no one has pulling power like that.

And... he pretty much catapulted Kenny Garrett into the wider jazz consciousness... a genius begate a genius.

Trane played the shit out of his horn and upped the spirituality in his music to an almost unfathomable level... but Miles still wins.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    coltrane. miles does pretty much nothing for me.

occasionally i like listening to "in a silent way" or "miles smiles" and kind of blue is obviously brilliant too. but for some reason, he just never gives me the emotions that coltrane gives.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

There's no musician[/b] in any style of music with that kind of resume, IMO.

Miles Covered Me

I helped round out The Sound Of America (Motown).Im glad they omitted me from the Big Chill Soundtrack.

I helped Quincy Jones.

I was the man before Thriller. White folks was sleepin on me after ABC until Eddie Van Halen played on my shit.

I've mastered Soul,Blues,R&B,Disco,Funk,New Jack Swing,Neo Soul,Rock N Roll,Philly Soul,and the Quiet Storm.

Doubt Me.

As a performer MJ is undoubtably one of the greatest, but as a musician he just doesn't compare to the greats.

• Fortunately there's no real reason to choose, but Miles was behind more innovations as a player and band leader.

There's no [b[musician[/b] in any style of music with that kind of resume, IMO.

Miles Covered Me

I helped Quincy Jones.

Doubt Me.

As a performer MJ is undoubtably one of the greatest, but as a musician he just doesn't compare to the greats.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I am tired of hearing about the glory of MJ

anyone with me? (KVH? lol)

people are acting like 'Off the Wall' is up there with the Pyramids, Mona Lisa & the Declaration of Independence rolled into one

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Quincy Jones > Michael Jackson

He's right up there with the famous flute guy in "Done By The Forces Of Nature".

people are acting like 'Off the Wall' is up there with the Pyramids, Mona Lisa & the Declaration of Independence rolled into one

It is, so roll and smoke the falakian thing.