Apples vs Oranges and other bullshit

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Comparing apples to oranges. I hate that saying more than anything. They have a lot in common. Why isn't it comparing apples to rocks?I also hate "It ain't rocket science." Rocket science is simple.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that Thriller vs Off the Wall thread needs a bump. Anybody got it toggled? Search is useless

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Thriller vs Off the Wall thread needs a bump.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    But you would agree that apples have a greater amount in common with apples than they do with oranges, correct?

But you would agree that apples have a greater amount in common with apples than they do with oranges, correct?

Granny Smith vs Fuji

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    APPLES.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Comparing apples to oranges. I hate that saying more than anything. They have a lot in common. Why isn't it comparing apples to rocks?

I also hate "It ain't rocket science." Rocket science is simple.

Comparing apples to oranges. I hate that saying more than anything. They have a lot in common. Why isn't it comparing apples to rocks?

nice tie in.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

one misappropriation i never liked:

"one man's MEAT is another man's poison"

i love "one man's_____ is another man's______" comparisons, but meat vs. poison don't make sense

it should be one man's MEDICINE is another man's poison, and it was. i dont know how the medicine got corrupted to meat'

if you gotta use that metaphor, make sure the concepts match up!!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Apples vs apples and apples vs oranges is fair. They're related, but they're not the same. Just like most people wouldn't have sex with monkeys. We share 97% of our DNA but that doesn't mean I want to do the sideways truffle shuffle with one.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    In Britain, I believe they say "Chalk and Cheese" instead of "Apples and Oranges."

By the way: the correct answer is always watermelon.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    In Britain, I believe they say "Chalk and Cheese" instead of "Apples and Oranges."

chalk and cheese makes more sense to me.

peace, stein. . .

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

chalk and cheese makes more sense to me.

peace, stein. . .

yeah. i like that.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

So is brain surgery - at least that's what a med student told me when I used that analogy. Damn, isn't anything complicated nowadays?

• I also hate "It ain't rocket science." Rocket science is simple.

So is brain surgery - at least that's what a med student told me when I used that analogy. Damn, isn't anything complicated nowadays?

i always go for "it ain't rocket surgery."

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Apples > Oranges