More Than A Feeling vs Wayward Son vs Dont Stop...

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Believing?I go with Kansasgo

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    3 different animals, IMO

I'm a big fan of the Kansas song but all are great in their own way.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Might as well lump in Hotel California while we're talking

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have to admit I like all those first Boston hits ...
    "Peace of Mind" is my favorite, but they are all good.

Local bias B/W impressed with how the 1st LP is essentially a two-man-band.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Yea but if u had to pick one?

Hotel Cal shouldnt b in there tho

Of those three? I thought it was clear I was choosing "More Than a Feeling"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Of those three? I thought it was clear I was choosing "More Than a Feeling"

It was clear, and I pick that too. "Something About You"... can't beat that.

Also:
    Who's Crying Now >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Don't Stop Believing

if Kansas were from Kansas and Boston Boston then where were Journey from?

• if Kansas were from Kansas and Boston Boston then where were Journey from?

Canada?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Can I just choose an ice pick in the ear?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    hmm, rotating filth.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Ha. I thought it was gonna be "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".

Wayward Son can't hang with the other two.

• if Kansas were from Kansas and Boston Boston then where were Journey from?

Canada?

They were from San Francisco, and don't belong with Boston and Kansas.

My vote is for 'More Than a Feeling'

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    "More Than A Feeling" was actually a demo that every label passed - every single last one, then Epic got it. It sounded exactly like it does on the album. Album has sold 17 million copies.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The fact that this is even a discussion is ridiculous. "Don't Stop Believing," of course. The way they save the chorus until the end is some straight pulling-the-curtain-off-of-Kong shit. Plus, Steve Perry's post-Cooke moves shit on whoever those other two chumps are. Boston might come close to being able to hang, but fucking Kansas? Their ashes get scattered over Guitar Center like so much dust in the wind.

I used to know a pretty but sad anorexic girl who had the Boston UFO tattooed where her hip would have been. Hey, Ruth.

"More Than A Feeling" was actually a demo that every label passed - every single last one, then Epic got it. It sounded exactly like it does on the album. Album has sold 17 million copies.

The first tapes Scholz sent out were rejected by the record labels.[/b] But he persisted: In Goudreau's words, Scholz "refined the songs and recordings to a point where they could no longer be denied."[/b] In 1975, after years of futility, Scholz and Delp were signed by Epic Records, with the help of record industry vets Charlie McKenzie and Paul Ahern who signed the band to a management contract.

---

With the exception of "Let Me Take You Home Tonight," which was recorded in California under the direction of producer John Boylan, Scholz re-recorded the other seven tracks in his home studio[/b] with only Delp & Hashian (with Goudreau making an appearance on "Foreplay/Long Time" and Sheehan playing bass on "Foreplay").

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    I don't know what these songs have to do with one another other than they aren't very good and the first 2 are on Guitar Hero, but Wayward Son is the only one with any redeeming musical value. More Than A Feeling is super catchy tho.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wayward Son is the only one with any redeeming musical value.

Really? Kurt Cobain (if he were alive) would love to argue that with you.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

you forgot that paul mawhinney was really the person that put the execs at epic up on "more than a feeling"

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

Really? What does ol' Kurt have to say? I assume you mean he would choose Boston over the others...but I would like to know? Perhaps I should clarify, by "redeeming musical value" I meant "isn't (entirely) generic arena rock."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Really? What does ol' Kurt have to say?

The "Smells Like Teen Spirit" riff is a take on the "More than a Feeling" riff (and both were takes on the "Louie Louie" riff).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ha. I thought it was gonna be "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".

I thought it was gonna be the Fleetwood Mac song ("don't...stop...thinking about tomorrow").

Anyway, my pick of the three is "More Than A Feeling."

And, people, STOP fronting like these songs have nothing in common. These were all AOR staples back in the time, and if some classic rock station played them back to back, it would sound like the natural order of the universe.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Really? What does ol' Kurt have to say?

The "Smells Like Teen Spirit" riff is a take on the "More than a Feeling" riff (and both were takes on the "Louie Louie" riff).

What he said.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    tie.

peace, stein. . .

I ride hard for Boston... especially their debut and Third Stage. I especially like Brad Delp's pipes. Unfortunately, they used a lot of studio magic, so their live shows were nothing to write home about. The first album, though, blows my mind. It's an arena rock masterpiece.

I never, ever got into Kansas. I couldn't even name a member of the band or name an album by them.

Buckingham / Nicks era Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite groups. Lindsey Buckingham is one of my guitar playing idols. I especially ride for Tusk and the chances they took after the mega successful Rumors.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    if Kansas were from Kansas and Boston Boston then where were Journey from?

when the lights go down in the city
    and the sun shines on the bay
    do i want to be there in my city...[/b]

the "Louie Louie" chord progression or scale or whatever is the basis for all rock songs though

millions of songs use it

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    journey rules.

I do like Journey VS Boston as a challenge.

West Coast vs East Coast, both bands with many hits, same era, and both bands have a mix of rockers and ballads. I think Boston handles the rockers better, Journey gets the win on the emo stuff.

Also, this song super-sons Don't Stop Believing:

I do like Journey VS Boston as a challenge.

West Coast vs East Coast, both bands with many hits, same era, and both bands have a mix of rockers and ballads. I think Boston handles the rockers better, Journey gets the win on the emo stuff.

Boston was a studio band ... Journey could play their asses off live as well as show up in the studio. No contest.

• I do like Journey VS Boston as a challenge.

I've always hated 'Don't Stop Believing', which has been adopted as an anthem by a generation of 80s infatuated goofballs.
    I actually saw Journey twice. Once opening for the Rolling Stones (1982?) where they got booed off the stage, though it wasn't their fault they had to play between George Thorogood and the Stones. The audience got their's though, since the Stones didn't show up for another three hours.
    The second time was at the Meadowlands. I got roped in to driving my younger sister and one of her friends to the concert. I was happy because I got to see Greg Kihn open up. I remember the show because Steve Smith did the single lamest drum solo I have ever heard by a "professional" drummer.