Pressing a track!?!?(re-edit related)

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Hey Famstrut,I'm in the works of pressing out another 7in soon. But, I have some issues relating to it right now.So....I did a re-edit of a track and though the consistancy of the track is mainly the 2 parts of the track. I did chop up quite a bit and did a bit of re-arranging from the start and the middle, but the rest of track is the original material.I would like to get it pressed but...It's a pretty known funk track and it was(and has) been comped by several people (recently by Ubiquity) and other various labels from what I remember(like some weird rare groove comps).My concern is this, I'm thinking of getting about 500 pressed. It's also going to share a side with my homie. I know there are the ways to go about it like stating it's a "Promotional Only" record. The case being, I'm willing to give my side of the funds to the group, if they have a dispute with it..but What are the odd of it happening with such a small pressing & so below the radar? I'm really not planing to profit off it at all, mainly just pass it about. And also, I am plaing to give the main credit to the group and put in small print "re-edited by " " " What are your thoughts? Should I just say peace to it or just say fudge it and do it anyways?Also, I'm not going to post it as of yet. If really interested in hearing it, I can send a link in faith that It will not bleed out & I will pick who I will send it to.And just in case you are wondering what the track is, itJ**k W**e & The S**l S*******s-Searching f** S**l. pt's 1 & 2Thanks Famstrut, you always help me out & hope (as always) to provide me with useful & insightful (for the most part) information. Much peace,Age

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    just do it. no one will come shake your tree for 500 copies, there's no money to take from you. stick "promo only not for sale" on it.

only potential danger is someone else bootlegging your bootleg, but that only happens if you make something really really dope.

• Didn't you have some "legal problems", Nick?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I would just be a little bit wary of trying to move 500 units of it, considering it's been made famous by a beat junkie's routine, flipped by a top 40 artist, and there's some stock copies floating around. I don't doubt the quality, but the re-edit game is nearly all-digital at this point.

I'd ask the re-hash dudes and heardrums how well they're moving similar stuff these days.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I know there are the ways to go about it like stating it's a "Promotional Only" record.

I doubt there would be much grief from what you describe, and certainly not being au fait with US copyright law don't take this as red but I imagine this has no legal standing and wouldn't make a scrap of difference should the rights owner decide to get legally arsey with you over the release.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I appreciate all the feedback (either or pm). I got some pretty encouraging words today and I'm just going to continue to do a little more research & more than likely (which is 99.9%) going to release it anyways.

I'll keep y'all posted and again, thanks again for the words folks, I'm very thankful!

Much peace and respect,
    Adrian

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    You won't get sued for 500 do it up. Its hard to sell records these days though.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    what if you release it under a pseudonym? doesnt that cover your ass a bit?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Kind of off topic: Can you press fewer than 500 copies of a seven inch, say 300, and still break even without charging more than around standard price? Just curious.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Not really, it seems that 500 is kinda the magic number of having any chance to make your money back without raising your wholesale crazy high. generally 1000 is kinda the lowest you can go in 12" or 7" to have a decient profit margin that allows you enough promotional copies.