Four-hour layover in NYC? (lunch-related)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Looking for an interesting lunch spot, something that can be a quick trip from JFK and back between noon and four. I've been to NYC before, with places like Lombardi's, Papaya King, Vernon's in the Bronx, and Blue Ribbon checked off already.My friend says Momofuku is possible. What's killer?

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Sripraphai is real close to LGA, I don't what your transit options will be from Kennedy, but 4 hours will be plenty and I'm guessing it will be easier than going into Manhatan. It's very reasonably priced and is hands down the best Thai food in NYC; my friends who live in Bangkok say its real authentic. If it ever stops raining the backyard seating is beautiful too, nice place to spend a layover..

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I would take a cab to difara's...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Meh" on Momofuku. Overpriced, underwhelming. Not worth your time or $.

I'd find some shit in Flushing!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    momofuku is wack. the spot of the moment is ippudo (ramen), but there's always a wait and it's in the east village, near st. mark's place. it's good and way better than momofuku, but also pricey for what it is.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ippudo-ny-new-york

sripraphai (thai) is a good look and it's in queens as mentioned (but closer to LGA than JFK though). don't go on a wednesday - they're closed.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/sripraphai-thai-restaurant-woodside

difara's is official for pizza. order a square slice or anything by the slice. you won't be able to make the time constraints if you're trying to order a whole pie. you WILL wait a long, long, long time for this.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/di-fara-pizzeria-brooklyn

i would say look for some west indian grub if you're looking to stay in the burrough, but i can't advise on what spot. getting to and from manhattan is doable in a 4 hour window, but it's kinda pushing it, depending on what time of the day you're doing it. you could spend at least 45 minutes in a cab each way doing that.

edit: it might be kinda hectic to get around noon-time.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    momofuku is for white people

yes I said it...

white people and the asian-american people that love them.

Ippudo can get deez nuts too. Way too scene-y and some of the shittiest music you'll ever hear in a restaurant.

If you're really going to do ramen right in Manhattan, hit up Minca on E. 5th. Way unpretentious, solid ramen. I wouldn't drive in from LGA to go there though.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I would look through this and find something close to JFK. I don't think I'd chance a trip into Manhattan with that little time. Sietsema does a great job finding local joints with top-notch ethnic food.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:Wxor...lient=firefox-a

• Ippudo can get deez nuts too. Way too scene-y and some of the shittiest music you'll ever hear in a restaurant.

If you're really going to do ramen right in Manhattan, hit up Minca on E. 5th. Way unpretentious, solid ramen. I wouldn't drive in from LGA to go there though.

Kambi Ramen on 14th and first avenue is good ramen too. A bit pricy though.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Ippudo's vibe might be contrived and overpriced, but the ramen is top notch, cannot deny that. It's #2 behind Santouka for best in America imo. Their pork buns are great too.

Minca while decent, is not for the faint of heart in the heat of summer. The broth is super rich, it's way too filling for summer. I prefer to eat there when it's slushy outside.

I really suggest you go no farther than BK due to your time constraints.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Sripraphai is real close to LGA, I don't what your transit options will be from Kennedy, but 4 hours will be plenty and I'm guessing it will be easier than going into Manhatan. It's very reasonably priced and is hands down the best Thai food in NYC; my friends who live in Bangkok say its real authentic. If it ever stops raining the backyard seating is beautiful too, nice place to spend a layover..

Interesting. Some great info so far, especially regarding logistics and turn-around time. Here's a theoretical question in two parts: (a) what dish is the greatest barometer for Thai cuisine (b) are there any particular dishes at Sripraphai that are must-orders?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Interesting. Some great info so far, especially regarding logistics and turn-around time. Here's a theoretical question in two parts: (a) what dish is the greatest barometer for Thai cuisine (b) are there any particular dishes at Sripraphai that are must-orders?

I've been to Sripraphai and loved it, but I must throw out a Green Papaya Salad Alert. At most American Thai restaurants the salad has some thin sliced sweet red peppers, but at Sripraphai the thin red peppers are HOT! I wasn't ready and almost had a heart attack.

Which is a good place to mention my home remedy for eating something that's way too hot. Forget milk, bread, water or beer, all of which either don't help or make it worse. Lemon is the only thing that really works, or Lime in a pinch. It seems counter-intuitive, but it really does the trick.

It seems lame, but I say Pad Thai is a good barometer, because so many places mess it up. As far as must-orders at Sripraphai, I say anything that looks good to you, it's pretty damn consistent.

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/queens/menus/sripraphai.htm

i'll have to revisit and give you a run down of what i've had. there's a few of us on the board that have gone together for a meal out there. maybe they can chime in as well.

note the correct pronunciation.

Ippudo can get deez nuts too. Way too scene-y and some of the shittiest music you'll ever hear in a restaurant.

can't taste scene or music. i go there for nothing more than the food.

agreed - minca is a pretty heavy and rich bowl of ramen. last time i went there was with a couple friends earlier in the year. it was cold so it definitely hit the spot. coincidentally, i ran into chairman mao and his wife there, celebrating his birthday.

can't taste scene or music. i go there for nothing more than the food.

I had the #1 so maybe I missed out but for the wait + price + atmosphere, it wasn't remotely worth it. Next time I'm in NY, I'll try #2 but I'm not holding very high expectations.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    That wait is murder, I try to go during off times. 90 mins wait is just ridiculous.

Get the akamaru shin-aji, and the pork buns next time. Ask for the garlic press.

Finally, real thai should burn your tongue, they truly eat everything that hot over there. Green papaya salad is one of the truly spicy dishes out there. I would suggest you try other things like tom kha gai or if they have it, khao soi.

Kambi Ramen on 14th and first avenue is good ramen too. A bit pricy though.

tried that spot. i wasn't feeling it; it lacked flavor for me. priced at $10-12, which is definitely not what you want to pay for dissatisfaction.

• Kambi Ramen on 14th and first avenue is good ramen too. A bit pricy though.

tried that spot. i wasn't feeling it; it lacked flavor for me. priced at $10-12, which is definitely not what you want to pay for dissatisfaction.

Word, their vegetarian option is great though. I don't eat meat, and it seems like most of the ramen spots neglect the vegetarian option.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    No offense, but ramen and vegetarian never belong in the same sentence.

• No offense, but ramen and vegetarian never belong in the same sentence.

I know, which is why it was nice that Kambi had such a good vegetarian ramen. I normally choose pho, as its hearty on the vegetables and unmeat.

No offense, but ramen and vegetarian never belong in the same sentence.

I know, which is why it was nice that Kambi had such a good vegetarian ramen. I normally choose pho, as its hearty on the vegetables and unmeat.

Wait but both ramen and pho use some kind of meat-based broth - how does that square with a vegetarian?

• No offense, but ramen and vegetarian never belong in the same sentence.

Wait but both ramen and pho use some kind of meat-based broth - how does that square with a vegetarian?

The ramen at Kambi is in a vegetarian broth. I'm fine to have chicken broth in my Pho, it's not really a big deal.