burial VS cremation

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
undecided.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Cremation.

My dad wanted to be cremated so he could have his ashes strewn at sea at the same beach where he did the same for his dad.

For years I had a non-conformist attitude, and arguably an egotistical one. I wanted the tombstone with my name on it. The thought of that is nice, but the longer I'm away from the place I still call home, the more I long for it and the more I understand why my dad wanted to be there, and the less important it is to have a silly rock with my name on it. Unnecessary. If I don't make it back home to live in this lifetime, then I hope whatever family and friends I have left will make it my final resting place. So for me:

1) put some ashes in Nu'uanu
    2) put some ashes in Pauoa
    3) the rest of me in the ocean at Magic Island

Whatever's left, sniff me up while listening to Ghostface's verse in "Criminology".

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I want to be frozen or mummified.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    ^^^why not both??^^^

cremation.

My Grandma grew up in India in the 20's and 30's and there were terrible stories about people being buried alive back then so a a young girl she had to bare witness to her mothers wrists being sliced to double check that she really was dead before she was buried. no surprise my Grandma was cremated.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Serious question: what leaves the smallest carbon footprint, running an incinerator or building a coffin?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Serious question: what leaves the smallest carbon footprint, running an incinerator or building a coffin?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_last_act_gr.php

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Aside from those concerns, you've got the amount of land that is more or less wasted when used as cemeteries. Not only do you lose the majority of your vegetation (like clear cutting for farmland), you don't even have any gained benefit (i.e. food grown on farmland). The layout of most cemeteries isn't even efficient just from a bodies-per-acre (or whatever) standpoint.

I'm sure you're all aware that dead bodies naturally dispose of themselves... seems kind of illogical that burying a body actually attempts to reverse/avoid it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    SKY BURIAL

Let those scavengers eat

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Cremation.

^^^why not both??^^^
    I meant like cryogenic freezing, which would be kind of pointless if one had already underwent the full, non-natural, mummification process.

Green burial is soft.

I want great pyramid-level accommodations that negate decades of conservation.

• cremation

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Hunter S Thompson way to go seems like the best idea.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Face it, we won't be able to bury everyone or the whole world will be a cemetery.

When I lived in Hong Kong you could only be buried for up to 50 years, after that they dug you up and cremated you, and somebody else got your plot.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I want to be buried in the ground no coffin... I'd be down with cremation but I don't want all my energy expended before Im put into the earth. I know it sounds weird but I would like nature to recycle me.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i want to just decompose right here where i sit, finger on the mouse, soulstrut on the screen

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    If I can't do that schitt where they freeze me, and I fertilize a tree...

Brunn my ass, yo.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i want to just decompose right here where i sit, finger on the mouse, soulstrut on the screen
    this is the correct anwser.

this is the correct anwser.

I want to be sent to the taxidermist so that I may live on, in a ridiculous pose, in the corner of some asshole's great room.

Who has the pics of the walk away son animal?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Chop me up and feed me to the vultures.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ahhhhhh the golden years of soul strut.

ahhhhhh the golden years of soul strut.

I feel a little guilty that I'm laughing at that thing... so gross!