Vibe Magazine shuts down

13»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol @ 'blaming' the consumer for being 'fickle' because they can get songs 3 months earlier than mags are gonna list them

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    lol @ 'blaming' the consumer for being 'fickle' because they can get songs 3 months earlier than mags are gonna list them

naw, man, the last sentence of the following passage is why i blamed the consumer for being fickle:

When something is hot and then finally makes it to publishing where the track, artist, etc is peaking or already starting to decline. Many have already started to move on to the next hot track. [/b]

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

naw, man, the last sentence of the following passage is why i blamed the consumer for being fickle:

When something is hot and then finally makes it to publishing where the track, artist, etc is peaking or already starting to decline. Many have already started to move on to the next hot track. [/b]

Shouldn't you be blaming the music industry of decades ago? Isn't that the whole premise, to churn hits, to sell more records in a shorter amount of time? One could put up a good argument that consumers are trained to do that.

Of course, with the internet and all, it kinda fucks both of them - record companies and print media, that is.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Shouldn't you be blaming the music industry of decades ago? Isn't that the whole premise, to churn hits, to sell more records in a shorter amount of time? One could put up a good argument that consumers are trained to do that.

Of course, with the internet and all, it kinda fucks[/b] both of them - record companies and print media, that is.

No more censoring? Hot.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    sorry dudes im fickle -- was def listening to diff music 3 months ago. happens.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    why is that graemlin so large

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    good thread. i agree that vibe had become increasingly tabloid in recent years, rather like the source in the benzino era, and i'd rather see things go bust then play themselves out.

anyone into "physical" publishing is fighting a losing battle right now, regardless of which genre their focussing on, particularly with the changes in hip hop that have been noted in this thread, we're living in a time where YES the audience does have a thirst for new music, but YES there is a very fast turnover of acts, new songs, new hype which builds up rapidly and then seems to implode rapidly as well. there is simply no way for any magazine to "keep up" with this information flow, even if they open a killer web portal named after the mag, with loads of exclusive content, it's not really going to help sell magazines.

don't think there will be many magazines of any kind in a few years time, unless they're as broad or as credible as Rolling Stone or Q magazine, or as selective, informative and nerdy as Wax Poetics.

and agreed with Faux on Scratch, that magazine was a disgrace. 80% adverts with a tiny bit of your favourite producer going "word, i make like 100 beats a day dawg, then i play street fighter." nothing to be learned from those interviews whatsoever.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I'll take a poorly written article on a regionally hot artist in Murderdog over a well written piece on an already overexposed national act in Vibe or the Source or XXL or Fader or Blaze (and the same damn article was likely to be in each at the same time) any day of the week.

then go join the jonas bros. fan club or something. if you were listening to diff music 3 months ago and then abandoned it, then it likely wasnt shit anyway

GROCERIES have an expiration date. good music doesnt

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    good thread.

Once upon a time, most folks -- especially those outside of urban areas -- did read about music before actually hearing it.

It's a double-edged sword in that respect for magazines focused on any kind of DJ orientated culture. Sure, DJ lists may be dated by the time they it hits the newsstands in the pages of a magazine. But, at the same time, you'd hope that the DJs they are choosing to list might create something with a little staying power in their selection.

The point of the magazine always was to put a second-day lede on something, to deepen the story a bit with a profile or Q&A or whatever (which, with many magazine's demise, is what many daily newspapers now aspire, ironically enough). And if the artist or the music they created was truly passe by the time the magazine came out, they probably were not that interesting to begin with.

ODub: Interesting points about ad revenue projections as well as URB -- almost enough to make me renew my long-expired subscription. Almost!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    From CNN.com

Quincy Jones may try to buy back Vibe magazine[/b]

Vibe, one of the best-selling hip-hop magazines, shut down on Tuesday

Founder, music producer Quincy Jones says he envisions an online future for Vibe

Vibe's closure eliminates jobs for all 48 staff members

(CNN) -- Vibe magazine founder Quincy Jones may attempt to buy back the now-shuttered hip-hop magazine, according to a published report.

"I'm trying to buy my magazine back now," Jones told EbonyJet.com on Tuesday, according to an article posted on the Web site.

Vibe, one of the best-selling hip-hop magazines in the country, shut down on Tuesday. Its chief executive officer, Steve Aaron, said the magazine has a debt of "several millions of dollars" and also faced a declining market and decreased advertising revenue.

Jones, a music producer, said he envisioned an online-only future for Vibe, EbonyJet.com reported.

"They just messed my magazine all up, but I'm gonna get it back,"[/b] he said, EbonyJet.com reported.

Additional details were not available in the report, and Arnold Robinson, a spokesman for Jones, told CNN he had no comment.

Jones established the magazine in 1993. It had a circulation of about 600,000, according to Aaron.

The closure eliminates jobs for all 48 staff members, Aaron said. The issue currently on newsstands, featuring Eminem on the cover, is Vibe's last.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

then go join the jonas bros. fan club or something. if you were listening to diff music 3 months ago and then abandoned it, then it likely wasnt shit anyway

jonas bros fans are probably pretty loyal. im not sure i understand your perspective here. are you really listening to the exact same things u were 3 months ago?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    jonas bros fans are probably pretty loyal.

Seriously.

jonas bros fans are probably pretty loyal.

it's too soon to tell with the jonases, since they haven't been out very long.

but it seems like most teen-pop groups in that vein have a short timespan

are you really listening to the exact same things u were 3 months ago?

not the EXACT same things, but they might turn up again from time to time. three months wasn't that long ago, you know. my at-home playlist is wide and has a slower turnover, even as i buy newer stuff.