Is Lil Ru's "Nasty Song" getting spins anywhere?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I was happy (and surprised) to hear that local Lil' Ru's "Nasty Song" (Def Jam) is getting spins from DJs (outside of this area) as well as getting play on MTV2. Can this be true (!?!?!)...a rapper from S.C. is actually getting some national attention? I really had no idea the song was still around (and had a real video shot for it) until I saw DJ Benzi on Twitter saying it was the sleeper summer jam. Is Ru getting any love on the radio/mixshows or the clubs in your area? If so, is it the original or the remix w/ Gorilla Zoe?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was in Wilmington last week, which is practically a stones throw from SC I realize, but this was the one thing you were most likely to hear other than MJ.

Their radio stations are always ahead of the Triangle but sometimes songs that are big there never actually get much shine here.

• Cool...it'd be great if this helps others here in SC (that make better music) get put on.

His cut "Ain't I Look Good" got played on the mixshows here for a while a couple years back too, didn't realize this was that guy.

• Yeah, "Ain't I Look Good" was the first Def Jam single he released but it never really went anywhere. This one seems to be gaining popularity fairly quickly.

What about Bettie Grind (I know - ugh) "Dammit I'm Fly"?

I'd been hearing this and saw the super low-budge commercials during the BET awards but didn't know until last week he was from Charlotte. Don't know if this has gone regional/national yet but I think he's still underground - seems like NC rappers either stay on their hometown label and never get anywhere or get dropped by the majors before they even put an album out (Petey Pablo being the one exception I can think of - and actually he's got a new cut w/Timbo that's pretty good).

• I've seen the name..but not sure if i've heard the song. Maybe Chuck put it on one of his Down South Slangin' mixtapes (he lives in Charlotte now, so if it's poppin' there, he would have probably pushed it on one of the DSS volumes). If so..I probably have heard it. It's not on the local hip hop stations here...at least not in normal programming. Maybe the Scientist or TJ Swann drop it in their mixshows.

• PS-Aren't you in Charlotte? If so, Chuck is good peoples. He's done pretty good for a SC boy.

• At the top of '09 I had actually planned on starting a SC (864-803-843) website...showcasing local talent that constantly gets overlooked, and Chuck T was gonna help on it...but I dropped the ball and never got around to making it happen. I'm all about SC hip hop making national noise. TOO many dudes have grinded their asses off for MANY years to not get noticed yet..shit pisses me off.

Actually I'm in Raleigh - but I do know the Chuck T tapes though and this song is on one of them. Its pretty damn cool that he does mixes w/all the regular national artists but throws a bunch of Carolina stuff in towards the end.

Real Dynamite (Knightdale maybe?) did a 3rd or 4th single last year called "I Do It" w/DJ Khaled giving shouts over the intro, really cool track that they're now playing a remix of here but totally local, he's on a label thats been around here forever called Hazardous.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    hot song