record dealers (how do you do it?)

chasechase 767 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Does it take a mental shift to go from junkie to hustler? I have always wondered, how do you decide what to sell and what to keep?Do you only sell doubles? I find it hard to believe I could find a record I have wanted for a long while and then just sell it. But at the same time, if I'm selling for a living, how could I not sell the big pieces I found for pennies. Or is it more of a volume thing, where you sell a lot of mid priced stuff. please let me in to your mind garden

Comments

• take record in hand, ask yourself "can i live without this record in my life?"

if the answer is "yes" put in the "to sell" pile, if "no" then it goes back on the shelf.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I move rhymes like dimes. The one who mostly keep cash but brag about the broker times.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    You can't listen to them all... also, tastes change. You can sell things you're not into anymore to finance things that you are. It did take a slight shift in mindstate, and I plan to stay a little dude to the extent that I don't value records only for their flippability.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    My personal collection is a constantly changing organism. Stuff comes in, stuff goes out. I am definitely glad I had a pretty big collection before I starting dealing or I would never have made it. The longer I go as a seller the easier it is to part with pricey personal records.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    take record in hand, ask yourself "can i live without this record in my life?"

if the answer is "yes" put in the "to sell" pile, if "no" then it goes back on the shelf.

And of course now, if you're on the fence, you can always digitize. Then you can choose to delete the files later if you're like "ehhh."

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    take record in hand, ask yourself "can i live without this record in my life?"

It's pretty amazing how streamlined the process can be. I just did this a week ago and cleared out maybe 100 records just by going through and saying "why the F*ck is this in my collection?" I had like the run of Kynard on mainstream in my collection! Get that shit gone!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dude, you make 2k selling sh*t like Charles Kynard??? Did you sell any big records? That's a lot of money to make off crap...