post a pic and a story of someone you know

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
the drumming fellow is my pal , Quincy, he plays drums in probaly the best dub group to ever come form these shores...Sub Oslo...I remember once I had gotten off of work late one night and I fell asleep in a chair in my living room...I must have left the door unlocked, because I woke up with Quincy in my face saying "get up bitch! were goin to a party!" He then, proceeded to take a drink off a bottle of absinthe I had on my shelf, puke in my kitchen sink and then we went to a party, I got home at 7am, only to have to be at work at 8am...ahhhh memories.

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Sub Olso! Yo, I know Ben Viguerie. He's out in SF now. What a cool dude.

Sorry, no pics or story.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    This is my pal Nikita, I met her at my bday party and I was pretty faded. I remember her getting into the limo with me and that's it! After that, all I remember was waking up at like 6:00PM the following night.........Anyway, I just spoke to her yesterday and looks like she will be doing a segment for my dvd. So all of you can enjoy as well. As stated before I have no idea at all when this thing will finally be finished but will keep all of you updated.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    what does the tattoo on her arm say ?

• Options

Sween, Long Island

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Sween, Long Island

In Arabic?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    when not killing space invaders, ridding the world of vampires
    or winning the world cup
    the king of dub
    - scientist use to keep me company at work

one day i had recieved a package with photos
    from my best west coast account
    i thought i would share them with scientist

his ammusment turns to horror
    when i inform him of the subject matter

the screwface is caused by these over the top pix of my main man's tatts

anyone know this longtime bay area record store employee ??

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    coffinjoe = poor's man's bambouche? Cool pics.

"Please, call me Hopeton."

Yo! I've always heard that the dude from Amoeba had Bob on his back. Thanks for the proof.

Other notables from his piece:

ZZ Top logo
    The Firm logo (Radioactive!)
    Elvis portrait

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    or winning the world cup
    the king of dub

coffinjoe-

thanks for these pics.

get in touch when you're not clocking 200+ driving miles.

NOLA hotel crew send greetings.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    dude...where do you work? scientist works there!?

Yo! I've always heard that the dude from Amoeba had Bob on his back. Thanks for the proof.

Other notables from his piece:

ZZ Top logo
    The Firm logo (Radioactive!)
    Elvis portrait

we have a weiner !
    b***y is one cool dude, just a lil nutz with the tatz
    use to keep his photos handy
    to show the jamaicans all the love
    home boy was represnting

had me puzzling for awhile so i had to ask him........
    guess who the 2 guyz are on his bicepts
    i was way off

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

Noelle is the sweetest producer and soul artist around. Mostly worked as a producer so far, but is trying to do some solo stuff also and has just released a mixtape hosted by Matt Fingaz from NY. Her music is too "clean" in my taste, but I can't deny that she's talented. Here's a tune; "Woman".

This one is Myrna, and she's an old classmate of mine. Haven't got any contact with her anymore, so I guess she's disqualified from this. Anyway, she's now started working with Noelle and her folks (as her producer), so I'm looking forward hearing the results. Here's one track by her; "Anything".

It's pop music what they're doing, but I think they're talented in what they do and it's not so many people doing this kind of music in Norway (but they're getting more and more).

dude...where did you work? scientist's moms lived close by & he would spend dayz hanging there!?
    & also do work with/for us but mostly just chill in the friendliest office @ the old ras records

i was way off

Elvis Costello and Roy Orbison?

And hey, I think you may know my good friend The Other Ross (from Denver)? Cool dude who made friends with someone from RAS at the last Austin Record Convention.

i was way off

Elvis Costello and Roy Orbison?

that's what i was thinking, only buddy holly & roy
    but
    b***y once was the jazz buyer for wherehouse,
    so even before he was tatting up reggae style
    he was strictly jazz with
    paul desmond & dave brubeck
    who else would get them inked
    let alone on such prime real estate

And hey, I think you may know my good friend The Other Ross (from Denver)? Cool dude who made friends with someone from RAS at the last Austin Record Convention.

i spent a month with the other ross one weekend in austin
    super chill, we had a blast
    that was the austin were tripledouble made a raer apperance

counting the daze till the next arc........

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Someone needs to spend less money on tatoos and more money on a decent shaving razor. His neck is

• Someone needs to spend less money on tatoos and more money on a decent shaving razor. His neck is

This once and for all dispels the myth that tattoos can cure razor burn.

• This is my good friend Jim AKA DJ Grocery.

He is the current Capri Sun Challenge Champion, having consumed a mind-boggling 44 Capri Suns in one hour. Vomiting 5 times brought his total score to 34, drowning out the former record of 23. While most competitors stumble around and look sick for the majority of the time during the drinking hour, Grocery kept it together and didn't show one sign of weakness or sickness. He would drink about 10 pouches, then say "I'm gonna finish this next one, then go puke." True to his word, he'd finish said pouch, stand up, walk over to the bushes, vomit, and promptly return to his drinking. A true champion. I urshered and DJed at his wedding earlier this month and he's helping me drive cross-country next month.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    As stated before I have no idea at all when this thing will finally be finished but will keep all of you updated.

are you kidding "cat burglar"...
    hook it up preme!!!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Please, more minority friends to show.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Here is a pic of four of my best friends. I decided to post this pic because I just looked at it and laughed at the quote written on the back car window.
    I still hang with a big group of friends from the high school daze. A mix of guys and gurls that are really a great group of friends to have.

From left to right is Nathaniel, or as he calls himself "Bad Mood Brown". Nat usually starts off all his stories with "This one time I was so drunk...". He's also cousins with K-OS.

Next is one of my oldest friends Elijah. Eli is from the Ojibwe tribe and just got married last summer. He just bought his first home and moved in a few months back. He's probably the hardest working guy I know. Even as a kid, we use to dump all our hours at work on him and go away for mini vacations.

3rd from the left is Tyler. Ty is the corporate guy of my friends. Works for IBM and married one of my oldest and best friends Joanne. They just got back from vacation in London and said they had an amazing time (Even with the bombing scares going on).

Last in line is Chris. Between cheating death on the regular and working crazy hours as an electrician, he's probably one of the nicest guys I've even known. One guy you can always count on to come through when needed.

Pic was taken on a crazy snowboarding trip up to blue mountain.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    or winning the world cup
    the king of dub

ill...

is this in maryland?

i had heard he lived there and for the right $$$, you could get him to mix your shit...

he mixed a friend of a friend's indie rock band... he made fun of their weed... if had the scratch, i would have Scientist mix my shit in a heartbeat... this is one of my fav dub records ever:

to me, his channel one/roots radics stuff (all the ones with funny titles) doesn't sound as good... something about the older riddims and TUBBY'S BOARD equals magic... i know he did one or two other LP's there, but they've never been reissued...

ill...

is this in maryland?

yep, dc area

i had heard he lived there and for the right $$$, you could get him to mix your shit...

he mixed a friend of a friend's indie rock band... he made fun of their weed... if had the scratch, i would have Scientist mix my shit in a heartbeat... this is one of my fav dub records ever:

to me, his channel one/roots radics stuff (all the ones with funny titles) doesn't sound as good... something about the older riddims and TUBBY'S BOARD equals magic... i know he did one or two other LP's there, but they've never been reissued...

been digging that scientific dub again after years of neglect,

the junjo stuff had a diff feel
    wish i still had some of those one offs, world at war, meets the raddics, etc
    to compare
    of course another great dub is Dirrect Current Dub, scientist mixing at jammys !

to compare
    of course another great dub is Dirrect Current Dub, scientist mixing at jammys !

i need this:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

to compare

i need this:

Seems like this was the best of the bunch when I was listening to these back in the day. Most of the others had one or two good tracks. I always wished he would have used more vocals in his dubs.

i need this:

Seems like this was the best of the bunch when I was listening to these back in the day. Most of the others had one or two good tracks. I always wished he would have used more vocals in his dubs.

yeah, scientist is def. a proto-IDM type producer that doesn't rely on vox as much as others... tho that "can't keep a good man down" track on scientific dub has nice vox.... and no one does the vocal line trailing off into infinity like Scientist...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Tamlins "Baltimore" dub.

Game Over.

Tamlins "Baltimore" dub.

Game Over.

serious. one of my top 5 fav dub tracks ever. one of my best memories of "childhood" ever is driving to a post-prom party (after skipping the prom itself) on cape cod, smoking bones the whole way, and listening to a mix tape and hearing this song right as the sun was coming up on the water... fucking magic....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    one of my best memories of "childhood" ever is driving to a post-prom party (after skipping the prom itself) on cape cod, smoking bones the whole way, and listening to a mix tape and hearing this song right as the sun was coming up on the water... fucking magic....

"Mommy, tell me the one again about the post-prom-party doobies and the Tamlins dub...pllleeeeaaasssseee!!!"[/b]

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Tamlins "Baltimore" dub.

Game Over.

Do you have a clip to share of this. Never heard it.