So word is Chris Brown is doing the BET MJ tribute

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Wow.My girl called it. "I bet Chris Brown is gonna use Michael's death as his big comeback. He's the only one these days who can really dance like him."I know I'm probably the minority 'round these parts, but I'm pessimistic and cynical enough that this'll work for Chris Brown.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It will totally work for CB.

They were already running his lil tribute dance on MTV from some award show a ways back. The radio silence on him is over I guess.

Honestly, I'm not of the opinion that he should be forced out of the industry forever... if he tries to come back and succeeds, so be it... Rihanna had her opportunity to stick the knife in and didn't take it. A lot of folks thought that was weak, so it is what it is now.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Don't disagree with the idea that he should get a chance to resurrect his career.

But, this opportunity is pretty self-serving, and, IMO, kind of overshadows the actual person he is paying tribute to.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Chris Brown is wack.

Its cool to have some young clone giving him a tribute, but I'd like to see some veterans get on stage and sing his hits.

Its probably too sudden for the production to get a bunch of A-list vets to get out there and sing.

I just know the Chris Brwon thing is gonns be way over the top.

I'd rather hear Smokey Robinson sing Lady In My Life.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    So NOW the word is that Jay-Z is the reason Chris Brown wasn't involved. Supposedly he told BET that if Chris Brown performed the tribute (which I guess BET had advertised) then neither he nor Beyonce would perform.

Guess we know who won that one!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    haha wow... Jay caught feelings

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Rightfully so. Dude pretty much mentored Rihanna. I know it was Mike's night and all but things could've got real ugly there. It was probably best that Jay used his stature in this case.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    props to Jay.

and I dont say that because I wanna see the kid buried forever. I agree with Paychecks on that score.

I just (a) always thought the CB-MJ comparison was sorta a joke, (b) would hate to see CB profit from MJ's untimely death, coming as it does directly (and spookily) on the heals of his disgraceful thrashing of Rhianna and, finally, (c) fuggit Jay basically raised Rhianna and made her a star; its a unique situation when someone with a (apparently) personal stake in this girls life happens to be in a position to actually do something in the industry to rectify the wrong that was done to her. Im not mad at him.

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
    it's a michael jackson tribute...who is holding who to what moral standard

and before anyone jumps on my ass, I mourned MJ's passing

but, let's be real here

that's your argument for why Chris Brown should be asked to do the MJ tribute?

that's your argument for why Chris Brown should be asked to do the MJ tribute?

yes, basically.

lol.

I dunno I was thinking maybe they should get someone, like, good to pay tribute to one of the greatest artists in history.

lol.

I dunno I was thinking maybe they should get someone, like, good to pay tribute to one of the greatest artists in history.

moral arguments aside, nobody can do mj like chris brown

it would be a complete no brainer if what happened didn't happen

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I agree with what your saying Rootless, and I think this is all a bit ridiculous, cause personally, I'm not really conflicted about MJ's morality. Not because I'm sure he was a good guy, but because I don't care; dude was a legendary ARTIST; his personal shortcomings and eccentricities are secondary to me.

That said, for the sake of discussion, who would you have do the tribute?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I agree with what your saying Rootless, and I think this is all a bit ridiculous, cause personally, I'm not really conflicted about MJ's morality. Not because I'm sure he was a good guy, but because I don't care; dude was a legendary ARTIST; his personal shortcomings and eccentricities are secondary to me.

I thought it was Ne-Yo who was the getting all the MJ comparisons.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think CB deserves a chance to get back in the game. If it happens, well, there's been worse people than him but F*ck it - pop music is fickle. Tomorrow ain't promised to no one (least of all a tomorrow where Jay-Z and Beyonce have a say about whether you get to eat or not).

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

I thought it was Ne-Yo who was the getting all the MJ comparisons.

Neyo for sound, CB for dancing.....just like Ginuwine was a while back.

I don't think CB deserves a chance to get back in the game.

saying. I don't need to see dude's career buried forever, but nor do I need to see him gain a massive bump (the kind of massive bump that only headlining a primetime MJ post-mortem tribute could provide) so close on the heels of his fusked up behavior. dude needs to do some penance. given the (IMO not really warranted) MJ-CB comparisons over the last couple years, a chance to headline a show like this is his PR person's wetdream. I just don't think he deserves it in light of the Rhianna thing is all.

• yeah, the timing was off but you can be sure BET or MTV will rehabilitate him in due course like they did Brittany et al.

whoever said there were no second acts in American lives was dead wrong. America is obsessed with "the comeback".