USA vs Brazil: Predictions??

2»

Comments

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    Soccer betting works like this:

For today's match I'll just make up an imaginary line that would look something like this if you saw it:

Brazil 2

Tie 1.50

USA 3

You simply bet on the outcome in this Euroman-style of soccer betting (it is the standard system). A $1 bet on Brazil would have won you $2, including your original bet (profit of $1). A tie would have paid $1.50; $3 for a USA win. There's not really a points or money-line system like with baksetball, football, etc. The outcome at the end of 90min regulation is considered the final result for betting purposes. This is why the "TIE" result is always offered even in a situation like today's match (as a Cup final, it would have gone to extra-time and then penalties, eg.). My understanding is that this system comes about as a result of the large numbers of Euromans who play small or friendly wagers on favorite teams, hated rivals, etc. at the local pub or wherever. The odds system is conducive to small wagering.

Good effort by US today but we couldn't sustain the effort. At least I'm looking forward to the World Cup now.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Bulldogs to win the premiership!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's the goddamn horns they have there. I really hope they ban them for the world cup.

Yes.

(Even the players have complained about them, saying it's very hard to hear teams mates over the din.)

There must be some online petition to make this happen somewhere.

A quick google turns up;

http://banthevuvuzela.blogspot.com/ - a blog calling for a ban, with a facebook 'ban the vuvuzela' group.

And the website http://www.banthevuvuzela.com/ a poll/petition (but it doesn't seem to be working for me)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Those horns have pretty much stopped me enjoying a lot of the football. I can't believe they'll allow it for the world cup.

Unlucky USA, really thought you had it in the bag for a moment there.

Still, there's no shame in getting beaten by Brazil, though pity you lost the lead in a manner worthy of England.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    A $1 bet on Brazil would have won you $2, including your original bet (profit of $1)

That's the only bit you got wrong, you get your stake back on top of the $2.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    A $1 bet on Brazil would have won you $2, including your original bet (profit of $1)

That's the only bit you got wrong, you get your stake back on top of the $2.

No, not if he's doing decimal odds, which is slowly becoming the norm.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Really? At every online and real world bookie i've used in the last few years it's been standard to get your stake back, ah well.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have to say that I was disappointed that the US didn't even contest the mid-field from 30 min on. The Brazilians showed they are slow and susceptible to pace but we tried to dig in and win a grinder. That allowed Kaka to get loose at the box. Not a good idea. I would have preferred to have given up several counter attack goals but create some of our own opportunities in the second half.

Do you blame the coach for this or the players?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

Still, there's no shame in getting beaten by Brazil, though pity you lost the lead in a manner worthy of England.