Another MJ thread

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I dunno if anyone else feels like this, but I'm really getting tired of the succession of know-nothing 'that don't impress me much' contrarians all trying to outdo each other in the 'MJ = not all that' stakes as they queue up to take a shit over one of the greatest creators of popular art since the Beatles. I know this is only the internet, and I shouldn't let it get under my skin, but much as I would never deny someone their right to an opinion, some people really ought to shut the eff up while the grown folks are talking. Here's a handful of doozies from a thread elsewhere, where I've found myself getting into it with some of these folls and idoits (Tony D RIP);"The fact that Thriller has sold over 40 million copies was held to be 'very significant'. The lasting cultural significance of the album genuinely escapes me. The idea that high sales must (simply must!) be more than financially significant is widely asserted - but rarely argued.When was the last time you read or heard a contemporary musician say they were inspired/influenced by Jackson? I can't think of any.""Fundamentally, Jackson's death is a far bigger loss to the world of celebrity than it ever could be to the world of music.""I'm not a disco fan, though I don't mind things like Got To Be There, Ben and Rockin' Robin.""The interesting thing about the reaction to Michael Jackson???s death is how some people don???t get what all the fuss is about. This is perfectly understandable. Michael Jackson made disco music. And unless you were going through the mating ritual at ???discos??? between, roughly, 1975 and 1995, it may be hard to understand why his records resonate so much.""Oh for crying out loud. This pathetic outpouring of grief from hysterical sheep. The bigger the name the more the hysteria.""Yes, he left a legacy of some nice disco music, but really, wasn't it just all a bit showy and over-produced?""MJ was a world famous entertainer who shifted a vast number of units; does that necessarily make him a great singer, a great writer, a great artist? No. He was a decent dancer who could sing a bit, that's all."

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    From the local store in my hood - Store Clerk

"Im not gonna cry for somebody I dont know.."
    "Why are they makin it like he's all that?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    LOL at the idea that MJ made "disco" music.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Doc: By the way - backlash is inevitable. Save yourself some stress and avoid trying to argue with knuckleheads caught up in some bullshit. You're basically sparring with an infinitesimal minority of people who don't "get" MJ. Seriously, you really need to convert the .000000001% of the world who ain't feeling dude?

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    thanks guys. even more reasons why i hate people
    hard to not let comments like that get to you though...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think that some people feel threatened in situations like this. They don't have the same emotional connection to the artist that a large number of others do. When the news of the death reaches them, they might think, "Oh, that's sad." And then go about their business. But when faced with this widespread outpouring of grief and respect, they feel forced to rationalize their own feelings and behavior, as it is going against the group mentality, often in an oversimplified manner. Subconsciously, they're thinking, "Either I'm an insensitive, cold-hearted jerk, or all these people are making a big deal out of nothing." Wanting to save their pride, they choose the latter.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"I'm not a disco fan, though I don't mind things like Got To Be There, Ben and Rockin' Robin."

Pickwick33??

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    When was the last time you read or heard a contemporary musician say they were inspired/influenced by Jackson? I can't think of any.

.... What about Justin Timberlake ?

• most of the people who post comments such as those probably never enjoyed, or even actively tried not to enjoy MJ's music. It's a shame there are people like them, at the very least they should be considerate & keep their opinions to themselves as there are many others who are genuinely be affected by his death.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

"I'm not a disco fan, though I don't mind things like Got To Be There, Ben and Rockin' Robin."

Pickwick33??

That sounds like me, although I sure as hell didn't word it like that (not a big "Ben" fan).

I will say, once again, that my first record as a kid was a Jackson Five album. Still have it, too, although it's not the same copy (bought a cleaner copy as a grownup). And even though I don't Celebrate His Entire Catalogue (no Thriller for me), I have always maintained the highest respect for what he did during the Motown/Steeltown years. As a kid, as a teenager, and as an adult. So there is no way I am going to be pouring Haterade all over MJ's grave.

Michael Jackson's death hit me as hard as Sky Saxon's. And that's a compliment.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Doc: By the way - backlash is inevitable. Save yourself some stress and avoid trying to argue with knuckleheads caught up in some bullshit. You're basically sparring with an infinitesimal minority of people who don't "get" MJ. Seriously, you really need to convert the .000000001% of the world who ain't feeling dude?

I don't think they're necessarily knuckleheads. Michael Jackson had a huuuuuge following - more than most - but that doesn't mean everyone was into him, followed him, or listened to his music. My grandparents couldn't give two shits about Michael Jackson, or name even one of his songs. The same way I could care less about Benny Goodman, Mel Torme, or a ton of other musicians.

You also have younger people who simply aren't into music, or only listen to country, or whatever.

So to those people, it's probably not a big deal. And true, they're not going to get it, and it's not worth converting them. My only point is that it's not necessarily negative or sinister.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    How can you take someone seriously who believes 'discos' existed from 75-95?

don't let the ignorant few get under your skin, Doc, pity them and move on.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Thriller Lp's on ebay were going for $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Jackson-Thri...alenotsupported

theres quite a few more

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Thriller Lp's on ebay were going for $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Jackson-Thri...alenotsupported

theres quite a few more

I'd be curious to know how many strutters listed their albums...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts