Malaysia what's good?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone been out here?I am in KL but heading to Borneo on Monday. The Indian food is hitting and so is the Chinese.Music and food and site reccommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    i lived in KL for 3 years. where are u based? i will have a guess and say bukit bintang, as thats where all the hostels are?

okay, nights out: heritage row is good. a whole street full of clubs, and some off the main road and round a couple of corners.

i forget the name of the road, but the one with 'beach club'. anyone will know it, and u will get a knowing wink of the eye if u say u r going there:) but there are several good clubs along that road too. certainly go to beach club just to have a look, truly nothing like it in the west!!!

if u are venturing further and want to see more of KL than matsalleh tourist hotpsots, then go to petaling jaya. the curve, kota damansara has lots of good clubs. when i say good clubs, i mean by asian standards. they are crap and the music is mostly shit compared to say london, but i still had an amazing time.

um... there are loads of waterfalls in the hills in and around KL. beautifull hill walks, good half day trips. batu caves is alright. the zoo sucks. bukit nanas, the city forest is good bcos its a great location. chinatown and petaling street is close by and worth a look just for the knock off goods and cheap stuff. i got a pair of excellent fake timbs for about 50 ringgitt!

food spots: now this is where it gets hard bcos they change locations and owners. i know some places in the neighbourhoods where i stayed but i dunno if they are there any more. just take a risk and go into any dirty looking place off the street, the more cats and roaches the better!!!

there really is not much to do in KL itself, its quite a boring city. i got really fed up after a while there, just boozing and playing futsal. but i had a lot of mates so it was all good and i definitely want to go back.

as for borneo, i went to sarawak, part of the malaysian territory and saw the longhouses, did some jungle trekking, went to a local wedding, got pissed off rice wine:) saw lots of local wildlife, absolutely brilliant. the beaches on the west coast of peninsular malaysia are stunning too.

have a wix time, i am so jealous! might think about planning a trip there next year:)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    thanks holmes. I hear what you're saying re: KL being sorta boring. but I had a real good night out last night and met some truly quality females.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    where did u go dude? zouk on jalan ampang? thats a pretty nice place. and yes, the women are jaw droppingly gorgeous:)

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I found a record called Keronchong Pearls by Annie Landouw. I think it's Malaysian.

Really cool dreamy stuff, I don't know much about it. I'd be interested in what you find on the music tip.

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    The Rice Cooker shop in the Annex section of Central Market / Paser Seni is the spot for independent music
    http://ricecooker.kerbau.com/ricecooker-info/
    http://caioman.multiply.com/photos/album/133

The Malaysian band Killeur Calculatuer is doing some fine 'math rock'
    http://www.myspace.com/killeurcalculateur