Dangerous

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone ride?I like Dangerous, Gone Too Soon,Remember The Time, and Cant Let Her Get Away.Overall its kinda weak. Teddy Riley's production seemed too sterilized on this. Seemed like MJ scrubbed the Uptown grit off.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Remember The Time

SOLID. One of Teddy's finest works. Precursor though to Big Names using the Producer of the Moment and thus dating the sound as soon as the red light comes on?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Remember The Time

SOLID. One of Teddy's finest works. Precursor though to Big Names using the Producer of the Moment and thus dating the sound as soon as the red light comes on?

Agreed. I think Teddy moved on to Blackstreet which didnt sound like classic New Jack Swing at all.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Remember The Time

Not quite, it had been done previously.

You can say Jacko did it before in the seventies when he and his brothers left Motown for Epic and had Gamble & Huff producing...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That wasn't quite such a solid banker then, though. G&H may have still been riding the first wave of Philly Int'l success all the way into the disco era, but I do remember a lot of people wondering if the Jacksons might flounder away from Motown. There weren't too many who flourished, after all. Trust Michael to buck the trend.

I agree with Jimster inasmuch as Dangerous seemed to mark the point where Michael seemed more interested in aligning himself with the Hot Sound Of The Moment, as if he was no longer sure he could be hot enough by his own damn self.

MJ has always been aligned w/ a producer.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    True, but to the extent where the producer's signature sound is as significant as MJ's input? I don't really see a whole lot of evidence of that prior to the Dangerous era and beyond. G&H with the Jacksons is a slightly different thing, imo.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    True, but to the extent where the producer's signature sound is as significant as MJ's input? I don't really see a whole lot of evidence of that prior to the Dangerous era and beyond. G&H with the Jacksons is a slightly different thing, imo.

Really? I think Quincy Jones' input was pretty damn significant. His footprint on those albums is huge. Q's sound is in effect like it was on the Brothers Johnson shit and other stuff he did around that time.

Off The Wall & Thriller are Quincy Jones albums.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Teddy had that palette of beats that defined that NJS sound. It was the beats first - the artists I recall from the height of the NJS era were approaching "Interchangeable"? But it was getting samey...

G&H had a more subtle fingerprint, and I'd say the same for Quincy Jones, even though they favoured their own teams of musicians. They came from a time where things had to be done by hand and the reliance on, or distinct-branch-in-sound from the technology of the day was not as relevant.

The point is, they still sound good now, wheras with the NJS product, you'd have to say that sound had a definite lifespan. I mean, you'd perhaps still get props if you released product sounding like "Off The Wall" now, whereas if you turned in something sounding like Jade, you'd get clown for being "Stuck" in that timeframe.

Don't get me wrong, Teddy came up with something really fresh for a while and I think the work with Blackstreet was the next level ish for him - it's when he started to play with the "Palette" and go for more depth to it. It still has a definite sound to it though; check "No Diggity" with that MASSIVE gated snare stuff he was pushing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Anyone ride?

I like Dangerous, Gone Too Soon,Remember The Time, and Cant Let Her Get Away.

Overall its kinda weak. Teddy Riley's production seemed too sterilized on this.
    Seemed like MJ scrubbed the Uptown grit off.

certainly not a masterpiece, but remember the time is for me, the standout and gone too soon is good.

remember all the conspiracy theories about the cover?

i was working in a record store when this came out and we had these HUGE cardboard 3d standees of the cover: amazing.

there was that black booklike CD edition where the cover was a pop-up, they went like hotcakes.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i remember watching the premier of remember the time, right before "in living color".

Nah, not really. The only thing i recall is maybe some cues to his pedo-steez.

I remember coppin the wax yeras later at DanceTrax's old bins and dude looked at me like i was crazy. We had a mutual friend, whom he told - "Ur boy came in and copped Dangerous" - She replied in my defense-"Oh yeah - He's a MJ collectro".

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Nah, not really. The only thing i recall is maybe some cues to his pedo-steez.

we had nutjobs who would come into the store and riff on all the "hidden meanings maaaaan" i thought this was everywhere, now im starting to think that all the psychos only shopped at my store.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    morphing. mc cully rapps. tyra banks.