YO GABBA GABBA

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Who else watches? I know some of the dads do.... this show has really grown on me and makes me laugh at least once per episode.The latest thing that has been killing me is they do an episode of Super Martian Robot Girl where this girls is having a dance party and nobody is dancing, and its because there is no band so super martian robot girl makes this 80s band appear and everybody starts dancing. which is kind of funny, but what kills me is at the the Muno looks up and yells "WOO-HOO! THAT STORY WAS SIZZLIN'!!!"SO FUNNY. I laughed so hard.then there was this other episode of super martian robot girl where this dude is fishing and all of a sudden a dolphin walks out of the ocean and the fisherman goes "Friend of the sea!" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahand then the one where dude says "I"m not gonna lie, I was playing my tuba..."ah... what a great show.

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    pahsjhing cashless

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    It's a great show for parents.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Actually I forgot to mention that the baby seems to like it too....

For kids, less great.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    the songs are pretty bad overall but still enjoyable. my favorite that i used at waxidermy for my auction header "theres a party in my tummy... yummy yummy!" anyway... great fun.

my name is justin... i like to dance!

this blues clues ("we are gonna play blues clues, cause its a lot of fun.. yeah!") and ni-hao kai-lan are my... ahem... my daughters favorites.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I hate blues clues and ni-hao kailan. in fact i hate most of those shows, but I do like Moose A. Moose. Yo Gabba Gabba is really the only show I don't mind watching.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I just got cable. What time/channel is this on? I want to be down.

Something tells me it's on while I'm at work. van damme!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    its on the noggin channel.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    great show indeed.

• It's a great show for parents.

You have kids? My two sons (ages 5 and 3) love it.

It's a great show for parents.

You have kids? My two sons (ages 5 and 3) love it.

Yeah, two. My four-year-old loves it, but--and I'm sure I've mentioned this on here before--I get a distinctly insulting-to-kids vibe off of it. I feel like it spends too much of itself winking and nudging at parents in an attempt to appeal to their sense of cultural awareness and irony and absurd and retro and whatever the fuck else, and ends up being an empty slapdash that treats kids like necessary idiots. I have no problem with shows that have a little of that "This reference will go over kids' heads, but their folks will love us for it" going on (just the other day I watched a Wonder Pets that contained a reference to fucking Stetsasonic[!], and I was far from mad), but I don't trust any show that gets too much of their bread and butter off of that, which I feel like Yo Gabba Gabba does. Whenever I watch that show, I feel like I'm watching it around my kid, if you know what I mean. Yeah, she loves it, and yeah, it's got a cool aesthetic and is visually appealing and all that, but damn, stuff like hearing Mark Mothersbaugh affect that slow "Hey all you dumb kids--let's draw something!" drawl show after show always leaves a kinda cruddy taste in my mouth.

Plus, there's sorta offensive ancillary shit like cartoons showing buck-toothed "mountain people" drinking likker from jugs, and that other cartoon where the kite drifts around the globe bringing joy to Children Of Many Lands, even stopping by the ghetto, where high-rise tenements with dirty shirts hanging on the line outside that flap gaily as three completely-pitch-black-except-for-their-big-white-eyes-and-big-white-smiles kids lean out the window and point excitedly to The Kite, The Kite! Again, none of that registers with my kid in the least, but it sure makes me think a lot less of the show.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i remember the dance party girls being blapalicious. my 2yo sons loves it too.

speaking of videos i also highly recommend Classical Baby the art and dance shows.

• the result of biz markie on the show:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Awesome. I love it!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    the music on that show is awesome, the first season was the best

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I agree with James on some points. WTF is that Cabrini Green?