ALOHA AND MAHALO tracks

2»

Comments

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    I posted the Nohelani track in my previous post. It's a fave for me too. My mom was born there. I live on Oahu and even for us, going to Kaua'i (well parts of it anyway) feels like stepping back in time.

R exactly! Kanikapila!!

A personal favorite is "Lihue" by Nohelani Cypriano. Phenomenal in so many ways.

Thanks to U-Tern/Pony for introducing it on One Day Later Radio a few years back.

me too this is on one of my mixes from a couple yrs ago, thanks to trpldbl for putting me on to it. such a nice song

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I posted the Nohelani track in my previous post. It's a fave for me too. My mom was born there. I live on Oahu and even for us, going to Kaua'i (well parts of it anyway) feels like stepping back in time.

R exactly! Kanikapila!!

A personal favorite is "Lihue" by Nohelani Cypriano. Phenomenal in so many ways.

Thanks to U-Tern/Pony for introducing it on One Day Later Radio a few years back.

me too this is on one of my mixes from a couple yrs ago, thanks to trpldbl for putting me on to it. such a nice song

Caught a copy of this LP for 50 cents at the Hilo Salvation Army a couple months ago, first record I had bought in a little bit.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ha! it's kinda towards the end of a very long to do list! but eventually it'll get done.

Well your about to get inspired by going back for a month!

DO IT!

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Caught a copy of this LP for 50 cents at the Hilo Salvation Army a couple months ago, first record I had bought in a little bit.

I'm hoping to do the same. I've got the Homegrown compilation with "Lihue" on it and I want to hear more.

Does anyone know who Ray Peralta is (non-skateboard related):

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ray Peralta.zip - 58.24MB

Tracklist:
    1. Going On
    2. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, Theme from M*A*S*H
    3. Pretty Lady
    4. Tomorrow is Forever
    5. Jell Jing Jam
    6. Slack Key
    7. Requiem for a Conquistadore
    8. For Better
    9. Canarios
    10. Flower for June
    11. Jobim Jam

This is a real mellow album, with lots of different styles (Bach, slack key, bossa nova). This is one of my very first LPs when I started digging. Actually, a friend's auntie gave us all her old LPs and this was one of them.

My favorites are 1, 7, 10, 11. (#1 is a MUST)

Recorded in Hilo, mastered in Honolulu. Date unknown (1970s?). Accompanied by David "Kawika" Crowley on Kawika Records.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    nice. thanks for uploading. if you ever want to trade for it, holler.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    I don't know too much about Peralta, but it is pretty hard to pull, which is surprising since it was on Kawika. Great record! Thank you for posting the tracks. If anyone has requests, feel free to post.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    rock candy!

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i would like to request kalapana and keola and kapono or maybe if someone has guava jam?

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    What else is on Kawika?

What else is on Kawika?

this foxy fellow, is all i know of, i think.

lyle k'ang

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    I just found another track on my computer:

Audy Kimura "Summer"

From "Looking for the Good Life":

He looked almost exactly the same in 2007:

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    For anyone looking for some serious Kaua'i vibes, I recommend this movie:

http://taylorcampkauai.com/

I went to the premiere last year at KCC and it was a classic scene.

i forgot to mention this album, traditional yet transcendent. good as hell.
    the sleeve got f-cked up in my flood and here is a pic of that. the sleeve tore slightly you can see on the flower, but the vinyl's fine:

i have to find it and then i will rip it unless someone beats me to it. so mellow and pretty.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Phase 7! Hawaiian Boogie, really cool breezy vibe to the album, plus Chotto Mate Kudasai which is hilarious.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Phase 7! Hawaiian Boogie, really cool breezy vibe to the album, plus "no utotting"[/b] is hilarious.

• JahBooGieJahBooGie 92 Posts
    i forgot to mention this album, traditional yet transcendent. good as hell.
    the sleeve got f-cked up in my flood and here is a pic of that. the sleeve tore slightly you can see on the flower, but the vinyl's fine:

i have to find it and then i will rip it unless someone beats me to it. so mellow and pretty.
    this album makes me miss the beach. nice and mellow.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Phase 7! Hawaiian Boogie, really cool breezy vibe to the album, plus "no utotting"[/b] is hilarious.

mp3 plaese?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    As far as the Home Grown[/b] albums, KGMB (the CBS affiliate in Honolulu) used to have specials each time the albums came out, and for the first three there were shows that featured various videos for each song, including Nohelani's "Lihue". However, CBS did not archive their own shows very well. There used to be a children's show called Checkers & Pogo[/b], where Mr. Checkers and Mr. Pogo-Poge would introduce cartoons from their treehouse. However, almost all of their masters were erased over, so they only had a few copies of episodes left. Since the first three Home Grown[/b] albums were pre-1980, there's a 50/50 chance that they exist, but so far nothing from KGMB.

There's also a song on Home Grown II[/b] that was performed by the father of a friend of mine in elementary school, and it was shot on the stairs of a school.

I don't know if KGMB has ever re-broadcast the Home Grown[/b] specials, but I wish they would release them on DVD or at least stream them.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

http://bit.ly/Hm33o (320kbps)

Some songs known, some songs no known:

The Ho'opi'i Brothers-Hawaiian Rainbow (Live)
    Rap Replinger-Record Offer
    Linda Green-I'm Going To Go
    Lemuria-Hunk Of Heaven
    Raymond Kane-Wa'ahila (Version 1)
    Booga Booga-Confession
    Kalapana-When The Morning Comes
    Sean Na'auao-Ka Pilina
    Tony Conjugacion-Ka Beauty A'o Manoa
    Melveen Leed-Uptight
    The Sandwich Isle Band-Honolulu How Do You Do
    Shnazz-Jump On Your Bones
    Palani Vaughan-Ka'a Ahi Kahului
    Cecilio & Kapono-Lifetime Party
    Cecilio & Kapono-Someday
    Country Comfort-To Be Lonely
    Nohelani Cypriano-Having A Party
    Nohelani Cypriano-Lihue
    Sunday Manoa-Guava Jam
    Peter Moon Band-Island Love
    Loyal Garner-Shave Ice[/b]

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Booga Booga-Confession =

I mean that literally.

http://bit.ly/Hm33o (320kbps)

Some songs known, some songs no known:

The Ho'opi'i Brothers-Hawaiian Rainbow (Live)
    Rap Replinger-Record Offer
    Linda Green-I'm Going To Go
    Lemuria-Hunk Of Heaven
    Raymond Kane-Wa'ahila (Version 1)
    Booga Booga-Confession
    Kalapana-When The Morning Comes
    Sean Na'auao-Ka Pilina
    Tony Conjugacion-Ka Beauty A'o Manoa
    Melveen Leed-Uptight
    The Sandwich Isle Band-Honolulu How Do You Do
    Shnazz-Jump On Your Bones
    Palani Vaughan-Ka'a Ahi Kahului
    Cecilio & Kapono-Lifetime Party
    Cecilio & Kapono-Someday
    Country Comfort-To Be Lonely
    Nohelani Cypriano-Having A Party
    Nohelani Cypriano-Lihue
    Sunday Manoa-Guava Jam
    Peter Moon Band-Island Love
    Loyal Garner-Shave Ice[/b]

awesome! look how you adorable you are, and all your classmates in your slippers i love it. can't wait to listen to this! thanks!

• Thanks for this!!!

I really dig Ka Pilina...

I guess I like the more traditional singing and guitar stuff... I also dig Kealii Reichel, Cyril Panihui. Where can get a rundown on more like this? Like Hawaiian Music 101 or something. This stuff is really hard to research...