Funkadelic S/T

chasechase 767 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
recently coped a copy of this album, how can I tell if it is an OG or a later pressing? Mine has white cardboard, and has W2000a - 1b and W2000b - 1b in the dead wax

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The original has a thin cover on white cardboard.

The label looks like a legit Westbound orig (compare to say Ohio Players or something).

There is a second issue with the all blue Westbound/20th Century label.

Honestly the repro labels aren't even close, so it shouldn't be hard to tell.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    white cardboard

General question (sorry for the thread derailing):

Which labels were known to use white cardboard prior to, say, 1980?
    I'm asking because that's usually the obvious sign of a reish, but it doesn't always hold.
    Like Motown, for example. A lot of early 70s Motown LPs are printed on white cardboard.

And I still need a real-life copy of the Funkadelic S/T so I can stop being a wiener.

• novecentonovecento 20 Posts
    white cardboard

I'm asking because that's usually the obvious sign of a reish, but it doesn't always hold.
    Like Motown, for example. A lot of early 70s Motown LPs are printed on white cardboard.

And I still need a real-life copy of the Funkadelic S/T so I can stop being a wiener.

what about Poppy? i have that Townes Van Zandt s/t on that label. the lp and innersleeve are clearly original , and i don't even know about later reissues that are on the Poppy label. but the cover is not paste-on and there's white cardboard on the inside.

and obviously lps on Pompeii, like Ike Turner, have white cardboard that make them seem to be newer than they are.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    white cardboard

Couldn't tell you a list but the white cardboard test in conjunction with the smell test serves me 99% of the time in reish id

I was recently trying to discern the undiputed truth s/t, and since it's gordy, early 70's I believe it should have white cardboard as you'd said.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    white cardboard

You should rework the sentence to say "prior to 1973," because white cardboard really started to come on strong around then.

As far as before '73, two good bets would be Elektra and Nashboro.

Elektra could go both ways. I sold my copy a long time ago, but I do remember that Crabby Appleton's self-titled first album had white cardboard.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    what about Poppy? i have that Townes Van Zandt s/t on that label. the lp and innersleeve are clearly original , and i don't even know about later reissues that are on the Poppy label. but the cover is not paste-on and there's white cardboard on the inside.

and obviously lps on Pompeii, like Ike Turner, have white cardboard that make them seem to be newer than they are.

I have that TVZ - mine's white too. The 70s reish is on Tomato.

Usually it's pretty easy to identify if the white's indicating a later pressing - of it's legit the label will be the contemporary design of that company, there might be a barcode on it... but usually these are Scorpio exact repro's people are asking about, and the heavy-gloss, slick sleeve and different typeface on the label will give those away.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Scepter was another label who was doing the white cardboard thing before it became the standard.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A lot of 70's Atlantic and related stuff is also on white card stock. Capitol too.

I'm kind of amazed at the reissue checks that pop up on here. There's seriously only a small handful of soul/funk reissues that are *not* totally obvious and easy to spot.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'm kind of amazed at the reissue checks that pop up on here. There's seriously only a small handful of soul/funk reissues that are *not* totally obvious and easy to spot.

Edwards Generation

yeah that's one - I think that and a few others were all done by the same person/people. FAT comes to mind and a couple others. Pleasure "Dust Yourself Off" I think.