What do you think about this artwork?

2»

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't know if you can really explain why things are funny.

You meant lapse,

noun - a temporary failure of concentration, memory, or judgment.

but wrote laps, which has several meanings, as does taste.

Maybe it's because the phrase "Laps of Taste" is complete nonsense but when forced to make sense, it's amusing. (see verb606's post)

It's not a case of laughing at[/b] the non-english speaker f*cking up.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

You meant lapse,

Maybe it's because the phrase "Laps of Taste" is complete nonsense but when forced to make sense, it's amusing. (see verb606's post)

Yeah, it is not on you, it illustrates how English language can sometimes be very complicated.

'Lapse of taste' refers to you having a momentary change in your personal preference

'Laps of taste' can mean multiple things:

A lap is:

A circuit around a running field/raceway or a length of a swimming pool (EG: 8 laps to go)
    your knee to groin area (hence the brilliant lap-dance comment above)
    When a dog or cat drinks with their tongue, they are lapping.
    Someone from Lapland (im not sue about this, if a Laplander is a Lap?)

In the animal drinking context you can be said to 'lap something up' like say, when a friend falls over and you laugh, his response could be "lap it up asshole", that means enjoy it.

And taste has a double meaning as well

Taste as in the way you experience flavor (this drink tastes good)
    Taste as in your personal style preference (good taste and bad taste)

So 'laps of taste' is actually a brilliant phrase that can incorporate multiple meanings of laps and taste. Thus you should be commended for adding this gem to our collective vocabulary.

And of course no-one expects a non native speaker to be aware of all these subtle differences.

"Laps of taste" sounds to me like a description of the clientele at an upscale gentlemen's club.

"She was simply paying her dues at Deja Vu, working hard so that soon she might be able to twirl and dance for the laps of taste in the Uptown clubs."

So good.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Blaps of taste.

Blaps of taste.

From strength to strength, the evolution continues.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

You meant lapse,

Yeah, it is not on you, it illustrates how English language can sometimes be very complicated.

'Lapse of taste' refers to you having a momentary change in your personal preference

'Laps of taste' can mean multiple things:

A lap is:

A circuit around a running field/raceway or a length of a swimming pool (EG: 8 laps to go)
    your knee to groin area (hence the brilliant lap-dance comment above)
    When a dog or cat drinks with their tongue, they are lapping.
    Someone from Lapland (im not sue about this, if a Laplander is a Lap?)

In the animal drinking context you can be said to 'lap something up' like say, when a friend falls over and you laugh, his response could be "lap it up asshole", that means enjoy it.

And taste has a double meaning as well

Taste as in the way you experience flavor (this drink tastes good)
    Taste as in your personal style preference (good taste and bad taste)

So 'laps of taste' is actually a brilliant phrase that can incorporate multiple meanings of laps and taste. Thus you should be commended for adding this gem to our collective vocabulary.

And of course no-one expects a non native speaker to be aware of all these subtle differences.

thanks for clearing this up. I have now a rough idea what this is all about, but I guess the punchline of this accidental pun will be forever blurred for me.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

You're hole grammer Nazi shit is tired.

grammar nazi? i only wrote two[/b] posts.

come on man, step up your game!

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I think we just saw the birth of new slang.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

thanks for clearing this up. I have now a rough idea what this is all about, but I guess the punchline of this accidental pun will be forever blurred for me.

That's ok. Just know that you've given a gift to the Strut that will potentially keep on giving. For that we thank you.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "Laps of Taste" needs to bee one of those rotating headline things at the top of soulstrut.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Can we get a laps of taste graemlin up in here? Such an awesome and innocent slip.

Conversely, I could run laps of taste around undergound joe.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    As the creator of that term I claim the right to use it as a name for the blog which I'm about to start. As I'm still not really sure about it's meaning, I hope it's nothing too naughty, though.
    Graemlin would be awesome.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dude, your English >>>> about 99% of Anglophone strutters

And with the green strapline, your immortality is assured.

and some modderhatter or moderatrix should make that happen forthwith and with the quickitude.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    green strapline

I didn't know it had a name!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    green strapline

I didn't know it had a name!

Green strapline? What does that mean? Underwear-related?

Advertising slogans are short, often memorable phrases used in advertising campaigns. They are claimed to be the most effective means of drawing attention to one or more aspects of a product. A strapline is a British term used as a secondary sentence attached to a brand name. Its purpose is to emphasize a phrase that the company wishes to be remembered by, particularly for marketing a specific corporate image or connection to a product or consumer base.

Wiki

and some modderhatter or moderatrix should make that happen forthwith and with the quickitude.

The one RAJ holds the key.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "Laps of Taste" is now a GREEN STRAPLINE.

Thanks Raj!

actually maybe "Green Strapline" should be a green strapline.....