Recommend me some AOR-rock (Kansas, Asia, etc)

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So, I'm finding myself really liking stuff like Kansas "Carry on my wayward son" and Asias "Heat of the moment". I'm a little surprised actually. Recommendations for similar AOR-cheese would be much appreciated, big hits as well as more obscure ones.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    OK so I looked up AOR and it seems a little vague, so I give you some rock that is adult in nature.
    Also has the advantage of not being Kansas or Asia.

Tom Petty "Refugee", for which he gets a pass for all that Travelling Wilbury nonsense

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Did someone say "Yacht Rock"?

Carry on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Tom Petty "Refugee"

Dire Straits "Down To The Waterline"

Damn the Torpedoes and Dire Straight's s/t are both excellent records.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I recommend that you pretend you never took an interest in this stuff and walk away - one of my least favorite genres.

I don't lump Petty in with the faceless arena rock this thread seems to be about though, he's okay.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Two obscure tracks from 2000 that sound like long lost mid-70's AOR classics:

The album these tracks come from is excellent and well-worth searching for.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

ya ever hear the very 1st Styx LP? Kind of a far-out prog LP, Dennis doesnt sing, no sappy ballads, kinda like a garage/low rent version of the mahavishnu orchestra,yes, ELP, etc...without the the mindbending chops of course...still an entertaining listen.

speaking of these kinds of groups,
    Ive been feeling Bread "Why do you kep me waiting", its like a lost Nazz tune.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't believe I've EVER heard Bread on an AOR station.

Maybe Top 40 or adult contemporary...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I don't believe I've EVER heard Bread on an AOR station.

Maybe Top 40 or adult contemporary...

well, maybe its because David Gates is from Memphis, but I remember Bread getting played next Kansas and the like on the AOR station here, FM100, when I was a kid...