AVERAGE WHITE BAND: Does teh Strut Ride?

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Tower of Power > AWB

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Tower of Power > AWB

wrong.

AWB is like KC & The Sunshine Band in that soooo many "raer collectros" dismiss their music without even hearing it. Such a damn good band.

Whatever, I like them both, I just reach for Back to Oakland way more often...

I don't dismiss them.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    MANDRILL > War > AWB > Tower Of Power

How can Mandrill be compared to the AWB?? Mandrill KICKS ASS.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Steam Heat > AWB

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    who has time to listen to AWB?

seriously, there's so much other shit out there

where I live 'Pick Up the Pieces' is a supermarket muzak classique

overplayed

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    who has time to listen to AWB?

seriously, there's so much other shit out there

where I live 'Pick Up the Pieces' is a supermarket muzak classique

overplayed

Only the best shit gets made into muzak trick! A testament to the force that is AWB. Don't front.

This fact validates that this is the most popular funk instrumental of all time.

they don't need to remake it for it to be muzak

FACE

I don't hear Donald Byrd 'think twice' when I'm re-uping on kitty litter( mad shut-in moves)

'Schoolboy Crush' - that's the old school jam

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like them a lot

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Going Home kicks ass

• their GOATness was confirmed when i played out the wilson das neves version of pick up the pieces and had a trance DJ come up to me and ask "is this AWB?"
    overplayed, but still, good music IMO.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    is there any loop based beat makers that haven't sampled AWB?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

This fact validates that this is the most popular funk instrumental of all time.

Shaft?
    Green Onions?
    ...in my PMG I'd say Cissy Strut, but in reality it's not really popular enough

how about Amen Brother?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

1. "Shaft" isn't an instrumental, there are lyrics
    2. "Green Onions" isn't funk (to my ears)
    3. you're right about "Cissy Strut"
    4. "Amen Brother" was a flip side and probably never got played on the radio (like the A-side was)

So I'd have to say "Pick Up The Pieces."

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

4. "Amen Brother" was a flip side and probably never got played on the radio (like the A-side was)

james brown?????

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown?????

I don't think JB had a number one hit with an instrumental. He might have, but I don't know it.

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown?????

I don't think JB had a number one hit with an instrumental. He might have, but I don't know it.

"Express" by B.T. Express and "Outa Space" and "Space Race" by Billy Preston come to mind...all three were #1 on the soul charts, and still get played on dusties shows. But for some reason, "Pick Up The Pieces" (which was #1 pop) seems to have a bigger impact over time. (I'm not the biggest AWB fan, I'm just giving the devil his due.)

• This fact validates that this is the most popular funk instrumental of all time.

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown's ass was so burned by 'Pick Up the Pieces' that he created the AABB and retitled 'Hot Pants Road' 'Pick Up the Pieces One By One'. A rare lapse in swagger by the Godfather.[/b]

Oops.....Instrumental - R.I.F.

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown's ass was so burned by 'Pick Up the Pieces' that he created the AABB and retitled 'Hot Pants Road' 'Pick Up the Pieces One By One'. A rare lapse in swagger by the Godfather.[/b]

Around 1975, he was really feeling the strain. This was during the era that he redid David Bowie's "Fame" as "Hot." And I vaguely remember one track on Sex Machine Today which had a rambling monologue where he alludes to others ripping off his sound.[/b]

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown?????

"Express" by B.T. Express and "Outa Space" and "Space Race" by Billy Preston come to mind...all three were #1 on the soul charts, and still get played on dusties shows. But for some reason, "Pick Up The Pieces" (which was #1 pop) seems to have a bigger impact over time. (I'm not the biggest AWB fan, I'm just giving the devil his due.)

Shaft is barely not an instrumental, but touche. To be picky, AWB does sing "Pick up the Pieces" a few times in the middle of the track...

Is Green Onions funk? I say yes.[/b]

Was trying to think of a popular JB instrumental & was coming up blank. Same w/P-Funk. Maggot Brain??? If Green Onions isn't funk then Maggot Brain isn't either, though.

Never thought of Express as popular, but wow. Outa Space -- that's a really good one...Space Race hasn't endured in popularity nearly as much though.

Still, PUTP is definitely more popular than Outa Space.

Bonus Beat:

Shaft?
    Green Onions?

how about Amen Brother?

james brown?????

Shaft is barely not an instrumental, but touche. To be picky, AWB does sing "Pick up the Pieces" a few times in the middle of the track...

Seemed more like people chanting than singing (and not for long, either).[/b]

Is Green Onions funk? I say yes.
    To me, that song is too early (1962) to be considered funk. If anything, it reminds me of a lot of the blues instrumentals that Freddy King was doing around that same time, only with an organ lead. (I wouldn't consider Booker T. & the MG's a funk band, either.)[/b]

Was trying to think of a popular JB instrumental & was coming up blank.
    Yeah, the JB's were popular to an extent, but Becky and Chad couldn't identify "Doing It To Death" if they heard it in the club. (It's practically a black national anthem, however...) [/b]

Same w/P-Funk. Maggot Brain??? If Green Onions isn't funk then Maggot Brain isn't either, though.
    I agree.[/b]

Never thought of Express as popular, but wow.
    That was ALL OVER the radio when I was a kid. You couldn't get away from it back in 1975. Even James Brown had to comment on it, when he made "It's Not The Express, It's The JB's Monaurail" (credited to Fred Wesley & the JB's).[/b]

Outa Space -- that's a really good one...Space Race hasn't endured in popularity nearly as much though.

Still, PUTP is definitely more popular than Outa Space.
    I just thought of another one - "Jungle Boogie" by Kool & the Gang. Seems to me that the Chads and the Beckies would recognize that one right off. And there are vocals, but the "lyrics" are minimal ("get down," "jungle boogie," and a bunch of gibberish)...

But "P.U.T.P." edges it out by a HAIR.[/b]

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

"P.U.T.P." [/b]

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I just saw AWB live a few months ago. Didnt quite know what to expect. They were really polished, and really good live musicians. They had their shit DOWN. Probably not as raw/funky as most strutters would like, but a good band to bring the family too.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    2 more great major funk instros not yet mentioned

Booker T- Melting Pot
    Marvin Gaye- T Plays it Cool

2 more great major funk instros not yet mentioned

Booker T- Melting Pot
    Marvin Gaye- T Plays it Cool

Speaking for myself, I didn't mention those for a reason. As I said I don't consider Booker T. & the MG's a funk band, and I was mainly talking about the [color:blue]***radio hits***[/color]. "Pick Up The Pieces" was, and is, definitely more popular than "T. Plays It Cool."

Jungle Boogie is a great call-that would definitely have to be way way up there.

a couple more. are we including disco? if so: Love's Theme, Fifth of Beethoven, and a song that I would argue is definitely more popular today than PutP: DA HUSTLE.

also, what about including songs that are technically classified as jazz, but are really funk, i.e. "Chameleon." super popular.