Sellers, ya ever had a freak like this?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
sold a sealed LP on the bay. Got that little message you get with the paypal payment "put record on outside of jacket...blah blah blah". I figured it was just a thing he put on all of his paypal payments, but just to cover my bases, I sent him a message saying I couldnt do this because the record is sealed. He then sent a message telling me, "well, you better open it, because it will most certainly get seam splits if it is shipped sealed. If I get this record and it is sealed, then I will be returning it for a full refund, your opening it is to protect YOU". He has low feedback..Im thinking this dude could pull some shit and reverse his payment because if he does get it and it isnt sealed, claim he bid on a sealed record and didnt receive a sealed record, or get a sealed record and claim I didnt do what he told me to do. It wasnt a baller piece, but it went for $90, not paltry either. Should I just refund his money and move on to the next bidder? This is the most insane request I have ever gotten. I mean if a record doesnt suffer a seam split in 3 decades how can it get seam splits on a 5 day journey?It is a MFSL record, so the dude is an audiophile, therefore a nutjob, but this is really weird.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    jesus what a douche

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I don't get it, he wants you to open it right?

I've done this many times at the buyers request

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Get acquainted with the next highest bidder.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not seeing what's so wrong here.
    Just save the e-mail with the request to open, if you
    are seriously afraid of an "item not as described" claim.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Sounds rational to me.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the tone of his email was so weird..."this is to protect YOU." How does it protect me? It wasnt a rational, "I want to check if it is warped", or "sorry, I know it is sealed but please do this for me"...the weird "if I receive this record and it is sealed, I will be returning it"

kinda weird if you ask me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I think he just means so the seams don't get split. It's unfortunate that paypal and foreign postal services have made us all so paranoid of the buyer.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I mean if a record doesnt suffer a seam split in 3 decades in a crate in a dark basement [/b] how can it get seam splits on a 5 day journey?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I mean if a record doesnt suffer a seam split in 3 decades in a crate in a dark basement [/b] how can it get seam splits on a 5 day journey?

I know what you mean, those boxes of sealed records we get from distributors week after week are PLAGUED with seam splits, it seems every sealed record we have in our bins is seam split to hell!

The dude is a freak.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Is this buyer FRENCH? I ask because they worry the hell out of me about seam splits, tab marks on CD inserts but no concerns about the condition of the actual vinyl or CD.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    His communication sucks, but the request isn't that strange.

MFSL people are picky, one of the only negs I've ever gotten was because I sold an MFSL to a guy and he said it had a fingerprint on it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Rude messages. Demands records on outside.

Sounds familiar.

Is he from germany?

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts
    His communication sucks, but the request isn't that strange.

MFSL people are picky, one of the only negs I've ever gotten was because I sold an MFSL to a guy and he said it had a fingerprint on it.

Now we're talking! The split seam scenario is a collector staple, a fingerprint-phobe... that's one to treasure.