That Era(Rap R, Local,Unknown Known Talent)

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
All this talk of 3MG'S, Cron, and the other thread about the B.U.M.S & The Nonce had me go into the storage and pull out a project that I was working on(and being busy with work & home life) was transfering all these tapes I started on to digitize and clean up). So, I wanted to start a thread about cats around the way I grew up with or was influenced by as a younger dude.This is around 94 or 96. The crew was from San jose and it was Esoin, Diverse, Styles Misia & Klove. Anyways, the crew was Gypsy Cab and man, they rocked it for the most part. anyways, here is 2 songs and It'd be nice to hear what y'all have grown up with and what got you into it.I'll post more in the near, but here is The Gypsy Cab and also A couple of other treats too.1) Gyspy Cab: Intro/Ring2)Ellay Khule-Transmitting Live(Rough Demo Vers.)(Not cleaned yet, keep posted) and3)Freestyle Fellowship:Live on the Panther Power Hour WRFG 89.3 FM Atlanta,GA(Not cleaned yet, keep posted)**Here are some notes I wrote about about a year ago and posted for some folks to listen to (below)These cats were pretty much hands down one of my favorite crews. Very original as far as Concept, Structure & Style. You name it, they seemed always on top of it. This recording is actually from The WRFG 89.3 on your FM dial (Well..Atlanta, GA) It's from the ever infamous "Panther Power Hour" Show.It's an interview, But none that you've probably ever heard before. Q and A Style. Freestyle Fellowship, responds back rhyming. Questions ranging from their influences, B-Boy culture, The "L.A.Four" situation (The kids involved with beating Reginald Denny during the "Rodney King-L.A. Riots") and other various questions. This was recorded in 1993.Pretty clever and apologize in advance for the abrupt cut-outs in the start and volume changes from time to time (sorry).So, for those whom have not heard this in awhile, It's nice to hear again. If a first timer, I hope you like this little piece of Freestyle Fellowship and Pro-Blowed History (Mean Green, DJ-Kiilu, Etc).Also It's just Aceyalone and Mikah-9(Peace and Self-Jupiter are not there to grace unfortunately).All I have to say is "The Future of Hip Hop is......"

Comments

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    I've been following your blog without knowing you were on the board! Thank you for posting the trips down memory lane. Does anyone remember the Tray Loc tape Jean in the Front Row? I've been collecting tapes for awhile and this is one that is ever elusive. Underated.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Blog? What blog??

Thanks for posting these, Age!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Style Misiah is the homie! Dude is down in LA now doing beats still to this day.

thanks for this A***an, we'll rap soon

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Tray Loc is the homie. One time when he and the Afterlife crew came to Austin for a show, the promoter left them stranded at their hotel without their return plane tickets back to LA. They wound up hitching a ride in a car to Houston from a friend, and when they got to the airport without tickets or any info on what flight they were supposed to be on...Tray came through with his notorious mack game. He basically talked this particular female airport employee into giving him free, no strings attached air passes from Houston to LA for like 6 people. And of course next time the crew came back to Austin promotor dude got it good back alley style.

Ridd is actually staying in Austin at least for this summer. Last Wednesday night we went out to see the Carnival Beats weekly and wound up kicking it with Dope-E of South Park Coalition. Some little dude local wannabe-mc from back in the day just popped up out of nowhere after a long (and much appreciated) hiatus and sure enough he immediately ripped off some SPC associates for $500. Since Dope-E had been pestering little dude for the money by text, little dude actually texted back saying he was going to come to Dope-E's house to kick his ass. Dope-E responded he'd be waiting out front...

• Esoin, Diverse, Styles Misia & Klove.
    Used to kick it in Esoin's crib with my homie for life A-One (him and Misia lived there). Zay memories for days and days.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    yo age, do you remember this cat by any chance? also hails from the West but this track is ridiculous..

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Hey Reed. Yeah, I remember that 12 and the other one("It's Yours")I also remember not really being into to it. But after hearing it now,I can appreciate it a bit. Still, not really my thing..But, It's nice. I remember dude playing up hear a long while back and If I remember correctly, he is from the LA area(or outskirts of). Nice cat, he gave me and a couple of my buddies that 12 you posted up.

I just finished recording this which I'm about to share and I will put up some other goodies soon. But, please..I want to hear some stuff from your area. be it you or just some cats from around the way.
    Anyways. Glad this is getting somewhere.Here is some more local ish and repping the Zae to The M-Town..

Here is (and in the original order & missing song)
    Homeliss Derelix-White Label Chronicals(aka Fradulant Demo)

Enjoy(I'm gonna be taking it down in a day or so..so if you miss out, just PM me, Cool?)

***Also, what happened to A-ONE? Didn't he move to NYC or something like that. I might still have his 2 song demo tape from back int the day, I'll double check. Nice cat (from what I remember) Only met him a handful of times. But, dude gave me his demo and was mad cool.

Anyways..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Age - AONE is in Brooklyn - that's the homie. Haven't seen him in a bit but he's around. Although I don't think he's making music these days but he's doing well.

One of these days, I'm going to dig cassettes out of the garage and transfer them to mp3's. Shit, I have so many unreleased demos I might need to get permission in some cases. Off the top of my head, I have...

K-Otix - they did about 100 songs before that Spontaneity ep came out, and from various demo tapes of theirs, I've probably got about 10 of them.

Psyko Ward - Houston underground supergroup, comprised of T-Wrecks, GT, Fliponya, and a few others, had a song called Rekreation that was on par with just about any Wu Tang track of that era.

Scientist - speaking of Houston and Wu Tang, their producer Crazy C did that Southern Fried remix to Method Man that came out as an official Wu Tang release back in teh day, the group's demo has a particular track called The Hood Is My Life that sports a Teddy Pendergrass sample and just jams.

Epatomed - a duo from Fort Worth, RIP Saahir, whose 3 song demo was my favorite shit on the planet circa '94.

Shabazz 3 - Dallas dudes whose demo got cut to wax a couple years down the line, good stuff even today.

Tee Double - Austin mainstay, all sorts of early material, some good.

Tales from the Darkside - this was a comp that came out of North Austin around 95 that has at least a couple tracks that bump with the best of them.

Flo Mob - What you know about that wood?

Sounds of the Good Life - PEACE is on there with a crazy as song called It's Raining, so is Joka's Flow On which I also have on wax, but the real gem is this one called On the Edge where this dude I have never pinned down to this day goes through a personal history from childhood to the Vietnam war to returning home to Chicago and converting to Islam...shit is deep, still one of my favorite rap songs of all time.

Project Blowed - the original cassette release had Mixtapes by the Nonce on it as well as a song called A N*gga in Black by Lil Jugsta.

CVE/Rifleman/Hip Hop Kclan/Eastside Badstads/Tray Loc - for days...

Hobo Junction - various cassette-only releases, always was a huge fan of Eyecue.

Among others...

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Damn, i don't know who i like more The Dereliks or The Homeless Dereliks

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Some more from these cats from Down South(I want to say LA, But..I forget)

Slant Eyes:F**k You

• ageage 1,131 Posts

Hobo Junction - various cassette-only releases, always was a huge fan of Eyecue.

Speaking of..

Hobo Junction:Dirt Hustlin/Fatal Thoughts (tape single)

Speaking of..

Hobo Junction:Dirt Hustlin/Fatal Thoughts (tape single)

Hell yeah...I walk through places that your punk ass is scared to ride through.

Some more from these cats from Down South(I want to say LA, But..I forget)

Slant Eyes:F**k You

Harvey, thanks for the stories! Much appreciated. Is Otherwize out there too?

Age thanks for all of those tracks. I'm tryin to think of some good stuff to post, be it Bay or Hawaii related...

Slant Eyes is from LA. He's Snoop's A & R now and runs his own smaller record division. Was in a couple episodes of Father Hood.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Ridd is actually staying in Austin at least for this summer. Last Wednesday night we went out to see the Carnival Beats weekly and wound up kicking it with Dope-E of South Park Coalition. Some little dude local wannabe-mc from back in the day just popped up out of nowhere after a long (and much appreciated) hiatus and sure enough he immediately ripped off some SPC associates for $500. Since Dope-E had been pestering little dude for the money by text, little dude actually texted back saying he was going to come to Dope-E's house to kick his ass. Dope-E responded he'd be waiting out front...

I thought Ridd was in Paris last I heard.... Didn't know he was back stateside.

Ridd was in Paris for a bit. Now he's in Austin for a bit.

That's right, I did hear something about OtherWize being out here. Seems like it was tied to Ebow being up in the DFW area. But really, OtherWize was a latecomer to the Blowed scene and I never really went beyond meeting him, so I dunno.

I did hear that some crazy shit (although not surprising at all to those in the know) went down at the Blowed recently and that because of it, Thursday nights there have been discontinued.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Some More.Happy Weekend Folks

Bored Stiff: Explain'n LP

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Here is another L.A. treat. 1/2 of Nonce crew.Sach's solo tape.

Sach:Seven Days To Engineer Tape

(Also, here is the track listing too)
    Complicate
    Poetical Me
    Engineered In L.A.
    One Night At The Nappy
    Devoted To You
    Look At Me Mean (W/Aceyalone & Yusef)
    I Never Tried To Pretend
    8th Day Good (W/ Yusef)

Peace,
    Adrian

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    zest! i need zest!

this thread kills, ad***n!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I got quite a few tracks by zest and several other s.j. and bay guys. Give me a little time and I'll square ya off, I'm just starting with whatever I grab from the top

Glad you are enjoying it R****y

[homeliss derelix, "milipitas demos", song is cool baby demo]

[jesfsm, unreleased. heartfelt fast rap from the san francisco, early 90's]

I'll try to post some zest stuff too.. mostly have some cassettes and random one off tracks. There is an unreleased project of songs that yusef did, which really needs to come out, it was on par with classic nonce material.

I'm looking for a song called "pig pen" by the dub brothers.. As well as the msc tape, which was rap sh*t by the dudes from memphix!

Keep it comin!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Cool, thank you !!

Speaking of...here is the other 1/2 of The Nonce, Yusef Afloat's solo tape

Yusef Afloat-Full Revolution Music (Tape)

R.I.P. Yusef

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Cool, thank you !!

Speaking of...here is the other 1/2 of The Nonce, Yusef Afloat's solo tape

Yusef Afloat-Full Revolution Music (Tape)

R.I.P. Yusef
    Dope tape. did they even find out how he died or will it forever be a mystery?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I really have not heard anything and If someone else could shead some lilght, I'd be interested in also knowing. As far as I remember, It's still an unsolved case. I can talk to a homie of mine (who is close to Sach) and I'm sure He'd probabaly know).

Anyways, indeed a sad loss.

Here is some more goods, Zae(sj) related..peep

Underbombers(Sub-Contents)-3 song ep (plus bonus track rough of "Necro Manson")

&

Bedouins-2nd Exodus(Daysmen Empire & Sub-Contents aff.)

Enjoy,
    Adrian