Daddy Appreciation and RIP

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm down in North Carolina and my father passed away on Wednesday at age 66. He was an incredible, larger-than-life figure who leaves behind a legacy of service to humanity. He was an ordained baptist minister, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, and he served the U.S. government as an Army soldier and civil service worker for 46 years. He is the reason I am the man I am today, through his wisdom, tough love, compassion, and example of how to be a man. I salute you dad and the world will never be the same without you.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Dang, sorry to hear that man.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    R.I.P. to your dad, I'm very sorry to hear that.

My grandmother passed away a week ago today, and my dad and I are going to spend Sunday starting the process of going through her belongings and cleaning out her apartment, so this Father's Day will have a feeling of loss for me as well. But I will say that spending time with my dad during my grandmother's final days helped me get a little closer to him, and hopefully things will continue in that direction.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stacks......my deepest condolences to you and your family. We have shared stories about our Dad's here and through those stories I came to respect a man I've never met. R.I.P.

• P*trick

My condolences to you and your family and much respect to what sounds like a great man.

L

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

A day doesn't go by that I don't think about my dad.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My condolences to both of you.

I am going to hug my Dad really really hard when he gets back.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Big Stacks---

Be strong, bro.

Going by the bits and pieces of autobiography you have shared over the years, I got the sense that you and your dad were really, really close. Almost like friends or co-conspirators. So when I saw "R.I.P." in the title header, I was like, my God, I hope Big Stacks is okay...

Lost my father in '03 to cancer. Even though I am closer to my mother, it still felt really bizarre. Whenever I am in a self-pitying mood, I always pray that the Lord doesn't take my mother away, too.

Stacks (and Onetet), my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm sorry to hear that, Stacks. All the best to you and your family.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Condolences, Stacks... As Rock said, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on your father.

My father is the best man I've ever known.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Stacks...my deepest condolences to you and your fam. RIP to your father.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So sorry to hear that Stacks. The way you conduct yourself, I know he did an excellent job as a parent. Hold Your Head and I give my strength out to you and your family.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    My condolences to you. Your father seems like an outstanding person.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    oh no... my deepest sympathies to you and your family, my brother

• Sorry to hear that, Big Stacks. Condolences to you and your family.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    my condolences, cuz.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Very Sorry to the both of you!! Truly!!!
    Very sad time all round!! My bestfriend's mother just passed on monday night, she was an amazing woman!!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    dear stacks, onetet and selina, my heart goes out to you guys. stein.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I lost my Father in December.
    I think really connected to my Father when I realized that my Mother is a woman. Things my ex-wife and current girl does that pisses me off is the same things my Mother would do to my Father.
    Stacks, I don't know the details of your Father's passing. My Father was taken by cancer. As cliche as it sounds, knowing he was out of pain made me feel better. I don't get too close to too many people because I am really empathetic. When my Father hurt, I hurt.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    My condolences Stacks. R.I.P.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Prayers to you and your family, Stacks. It's hard, but you have years of memories to lean on, don't hesitate to do just that. That man had to be bursting with pride over you. Here's hoping you have an easy transition.

I would give up just about anything to have just one more memory of my Dad. It's hard to believe he's been gone 30 years, but I am happy to say I still miss him every day.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    R.I.P. to your dad, I'm very sorry to hear that.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Condolences BigStacks, peace to you and yours.

My dad almost kicked it due to a Aortic Aneurysm last month. He went under the knife, has lost 25 pounds, and has just started getting out of bed and making it to the corner and back. He's 66... scared the crap outta me and made me realise I'd been taking our relationship for granted for a while, time to spend some quality time w/ the old man, life is short.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    My condolences Stacks. R.I.P.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My condolences as well, Big_Stacks.

Judging by the way you conduct yourself on here, I'm sure you'll be just the strength your family needs.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Thanks to everyone for your condolences and kind words of support. I appreciate the thoughtful PMs and text messages of well-wishes I received. You guys are the best!!! I take comfort in knowing that dad is in a better place and he is no longer suffering (from bone cancer). Our family will miss him but he left a wonderful legacy for us to cherish. Thanks again!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My condolences to you and your family, Stacks.