3 Melancholy Gypsies "Sunsprayed." (Whoa!-related)

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
For everything there is a time...

I never even knew this video existed! This song CHANGED MY LIFE. It was my introduction to a whole new world of music that I may have never stumbled upon, not to mention the friendship that grew from it.I remember when I first heard it...I was at my ex-girlfriend's house bored 'cause there was nothing on TV. I was flipping through every channel and ended up on a channel way at the end that was like a slide show of the University Of Arizona's event info. They were broadcasting the college radio station at the time, it was the only place you could hear it other than on the campus itself. This song had just started. It had me at the Nirvana sample, then I heard dude's rap like I had never heard anybody rap before. By the time The Jungle Book sample came in, I was done for. I grabbed the Yellow Pages, found the number to the station and luckily got a hold of the DJ (what up, Rick?) who schooled me on every West Coast (and a few East) underground Hip Hop groups that were really doing stuff (including our very own J Paycheck). I think I talked to this complete stranger for at least two hours. He was dropping names that I had only read about in Urb Magazine. ("Do you have songs from Ross Koss too?") He made me a tape titled The Underworld and I've never been the same since.On yet another 'Strut-related note, I believe I spy Double K. Thes, you in there too?

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    wow, thanks for posting this. i rode hard for this in college. what tape was this off of again?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Man, that is a different version than the one I have. I still have allot of that old Log Cabin/Miscellaneous Minds stuff, was just converting allot of my old tapes today. But thank you for sharing this.

Man..Red Dots is a fresh track too. Always thought that beat was ill. Concept was pretty cool too (as far as battle lyrics go).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    HOUSERS!

this is awesome Herm, thanks for posting.

Cosign Adrian, this is some alternate take.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Thanks for posting. I too had no idea this existed. My Discman (yeah) just broke, so I'm gonna dig up my old Walkman and give that Comurshul tape a listen. I might even bust out Project Ambershine while I'm at it-- if I find it, that is!!

• That's a dope song and a great story-- as someone who has been on college radio for 15 years but who frequently feels like what I broadcast disappears down a hole, it's fresh to be reminded that you can sometimes reach people like that.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This video just shattered my life and swallowed my dreams.

Man, that is a different version than the one I have. I still have allot of that old Log Cabin/Miscellaneous Minds stuff, was just converting allot of my old tapes today. But thank you for sharing this.

Uh um please holler?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

On yet another 'Strut-related note, I believe I spy Double K. Thes, you in there too?

Double K went to high school with Cron and Murs, I know that much. That video is great...Eligh's hair is killin me though, lol

• wow! This video made my day! much respect to Living legends crew.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    t o o d a m n f r e s h!

crippin ass cron's video for "out there" is kinda hot too.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Anacron text has whattttt!!..urban style flex!

Always thought this was a dope track.Thanks for reminding me of that track R****y..

Oh..Sending out your parcel tomorrow brother

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    aw yeah!

feeling nostalgic. i'm bumpin that pntgllryntwrk tape from 99 right now.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    All this talk, got me wanting to start a thread in regards to this...I'm on it!

• DOPE DOPE!!! Keep it coming! i'm getting flashback of tape trading on Atak!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This video just shattered my life and swallowed my dreams.

Thanks for the CB shout, sir!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ATAK

!!!

Haven't thought of them in a loooong, long time.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Is Paul still doing his thing?
    Super nice cat

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    Thanks for the video it brought back a lot of memories!

age-is that miscellaneous minds stuff the same as the universouls tape? I'm always on the hunt for new material, pretty much anything independent/westcoast related from that era.

Paul's still doin it! Moved to southern cali.

http://truehiphop.com/

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    Damn that Anacron video is a trip. He moved out to Chicago in 95 right after that video. I still have some tapes of him and the homies freestyling somewhere.

Damn that Anacron video is a trip. He moved out to Chicago in 95 right after that video. I still have some tapes of him and the homies freestyling somewhere.

I'm his dj...any old shit you guys want i'll see what i can upload

D*ck jerker, guys. Daze doesn't have records. Just thought I'd clarify.

D*ck jerker, guys. Daze doesn't have records. Just thought I'd clarify.

annnd I guess that means I'll be uploading a certain picture now

NOOOOOOOO!!! I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!