A Reish We Can Believe In (art-R)

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So I'm no graf head, but I know quality when I see it, and I'm sitting here at work just floored by the 25th Anniversary Edition of Subway Art, what I'm told is the "graf bible." Shit is seriously huge, like nearly 17 inches, updated with new photos, and straight up looks incredible. For the kicker, its on sale at Amazon right now for 26 measly bucks. I like to support my local bookseller, so I just dropped 40 on it, but regardless, this is a nice piece that as far as I can tell hasn't been mentioned on here. Just a heads up....

Comments

• I went to a signing for this book and got my old copy signed by her, martha cooper

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    They did a really, really nice job with this.

Another classic I would like to see given a proper reissue treatment is Steven Hager's Hip-Hop, which is currently only available packaged in a rather embarassing anthology with some of Hager's High Times writings (including coverage of an event known as the "Hemp Olympics").

Another recent graf-related book that I highly recommend is this-- originally prepared as the author's doctoral dissertation nearly thirty years ago, and only available in photocopied form until now:

• Another classic I would like to see given a proper reissue treatment is Steven Hager's Hip-Hop, which is currently only available packaged in a rather embarassing anthology with some of Hager's High Times writings (including coverage of an event known as the "Hemp Olympics").

I just picked this up at the swap meet for a couple of bucks, so good.

I agree with both of those books. The thing that blew me away about the Jack Stewart book is all of the photos of trains I have never seen before.

I also picked up the Sento book which is really good to if you are into the late 80's to 2000's shit.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    RIP Dondi....

Love that book (subway art) and another dope one was spray paint art that had a more west coast focus... Both where impossible to find in libaries b/i/t/d as everyone kept stealing them....

Gonna def check the re issue, as my og copy been m.i.a for years....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

had to post this up. one of my fav pieces of all time. esp the character on the right.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Hager book - in proper hands - sells for some serious change. Easier to find it in a used book store that will almost certainly cost far less. That's how I copped mine (thanks Green Apple!)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Hager book - in proper hands - sells for some serious change. Easier to find it in a used book store that will almost certainly cost far less. That's how I copped mine (thanks Green Apple!)

I know--I've been on the lookout for one since I discovered the book in 1994, but no luck yet.

The reprint included in Hager's Octopus Conspiracy anthology lacks the photos/illustrations.

Like I said, I wish somebody would do this one right.

• I think the new Subway Art is too big and that Graffiti Kings is way too small. At least its a hard cover.

The Sento book looks really good. There should be a PART TDS one coming in the fall which sounds interesting too.

Peace,

Dress