Has anyone upgraded to iphone OS 3.0 today

2»

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    KK: I feel you but I think it's legitimate to ask why it's so difficult to get *simple* features included. It's not like I'm asking the iPhone to do something crazy - searching the *text* of an email doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to do.

No doubt...Not searching the text of an email DOES bug the shit out of me. As someone who NEVER deletes an email, I rely on that shit like no other. I agree that their failings are surprisingly simple.

Yet, the hate gets silly. "You can't paste??? Stupid!" Yes, well, you can't internet. So, peace.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    KK: I feel you but I think it's legitimate to ask why it's so difficult to get *simple* features included. It's not like I'm asking the iPhone to do something crazy - searching the *text* of an email doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to do.

I think it is more of a problem of indexing the text of a large number of messages. Searching the text of one email is easier than say 1000 messages. The index would only stay static for the amount of time that was spent between downloading messages. So my guess is that full text indexing would have been too much processing overhead. For example, Google Desktop on PCs causes them to slow down significantly. It would probably do the same for the iPhone and they didn't want to compromise performance. That is my guess anyway.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, but having search work on say your 25 gmail IMAP emails shouldn't be a big deal.

I think the jailbreak for 3.0 is dropping in the next few days. Just do your phone and use one of the search apps though Cydia. I'm pretty sure it works on email content.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i held out getting one as the whole cult of apple sickens me, plus i just worked with them on a high profile app release and they are dicks, but i finally got an iphone and it rules.

if only for revolutionizing the way i poo.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    good article here too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/techno...hone&st=cse

June 18, 2009
    State of the Art
    Apple Fills in Some Gaps With Latest iPhone
    By DAVID POGUE

Assessing the 2007 and 2008 iPhone models was an excruciating experience. You were torn in half ??? between your heart and your head.

Your emotions were swept away by everything Apple does so well: beauty, polish, elegance, simplicity and the thrill of interaction. (Those were not, ahem, phrases typically used to describe existing cellphones.)

Meanwhile, your brain kept waving its little hand in the back of the classroom. ???But the camera???s terrible!??? it would say. ???It can???t record video! There???s no voice dialing! No copy and paste! The iPhone can???t even send picture messages ??? even $20 starter phones can do that!???

But 21 million iPhone sales later, it???s become clear that the heart usually manages to shut the head up.

With the iPhone 3G S, in stores Friday, Apple is finally throwing your head a crumb. After two years, the iPhone???s designers have finally gotten over whatever weird objections they had to providing those basic functions.

Better yet, Apple intends to give many of those features, and dozens more, to everyone who has ever bought an iPhone.

If you do buy the iPhone 3G S, you get twice the storage ??? 16 gigabytes ??? for the same $200 price as before. For $300, you can even buy a 32-gigabyte model, enough to hold the entire ???Lord of the Rings??? trilogy, the DVD extras and 75 gazillion songs.

(These are prices for new customers. If you bought last year???s iPhone relatively recently, you???ll have to pay $200 extra for the new one, a point of outrage among the Apple faithful. Unfortunately, that???s just the way the subsidized-cellphone business works. On the other hand AT&T has just announced a special offer: if your existing iPhone will be ???upgrade eligible??? this July, August or September, you can get the new iPhone now, for the new-customer price. More on this complex subject is at nytimes.com/pogue.)

You can still buy last year???s model, the iPhone 3G, for $100. But do find a way to afford the new one. It looks identical to last year???s iPhone, but its faster circuitry makes a huge difference. (The S stands for speed, says Apple.) If you???re used to the old iPhone, the speed boost hits you between the eyes, especially when you???re opening programs, playing games and loading Web pages.

The built-in three-megapixel camera is much better, too. The camera still tends to blur moving subjects, and even still lifes aren???t as crisp as from an actual camera. But the color and clarity are definitely improved, especially in low light.

The new autofocus feature lets you tap the screen preview at the spot where you want the exposure, white balance and focus to be calculated. Except when the subject is a few inches away, you don???t see much difference in the focusing ??? but your tap location can make a big difference in the brightness and color (exposure and white balance) of the finished photo. (You can see sample photos at nytimes.com/personaltech.)

Better yet, the 3G S now captures video. It???s the real deal: sharp, smooth, 30 frames a second. Once again, it???s not quite what you???d get from a proper digital camera or a Flip camcorder???it tends to ???blow out??? the bright areas ??? but it???s darned close.

You can???t beat the capacity, either; in theory, the 32-gigabyte iPhone can capture 17 hours of video ??? just enough for the elementary-school talent show.

With a fingertip, you can trim the ends of a captured video and then upload it to YouTube or MobileMe, right from the phone. (That part, it does much better than a digital camera.)

The new voice-control feature may be the most useful change of all. Hold down the iPhone???s Home button for a moment, say ???Call mom???s cell??? or ???Dial 800-555-1212,??? and the iPhone places your call, crisply and accurately. (Yeah, I know: welcome to 2003.) This feature goes a long way toward addressing what???s always been the iPhone???s weakest feature: the number of steps required to place a call.

The iPhone also recognizes spoken iPod commands like ???Play songs by Abba??? or ???What song is this????

The new Compass program looks like a classier version of a regular Cub Scout compass ??? great when you emerge, disoriented, from the subway. In Google Maps, it adds an indicator beam, showing which way you are facing on the map. No longer must you walk in a circle, staring at the iPhone map like an idiot, just to figure out which way is up.

The iPhone 3G S also gains what Apple calls an oleophobic screen. It may sound like an irrational fear of yodelers, but in fact, it???s a coating that lets you wipe away fingerprints with a single rub on your clothes. It really works to keep the iPhone looking new longer. Maybe fewer people will now bury the iPhone???s gorgeous, slim shape in a homely, bulky case.

Finally, the iPhone 3G S harbors a better, beefier battery, thereby confronting another chronic complaint. It gives you about 25 percent more life a charge (five hours talk time or 30 hours of music), easily enough to last at least a day of moderate use. As Palm Pre owners know, that???s rare on a 3G superphone.

There are dozens more new features on the iPhone 3G S ??? but the really exciting part is that older iPhones can get them, too. They???re part of a free software upgrade called iPhone 3.0. (You get the upgrade when you sync your phone to iTunes. For $10, the iPod Touch can get this upgrade, too.)

Chief among them: the long-awaited copy and paste commands, which appear at your fingertips when you double-tap text in most programs. Now you can paste text and graphics from a Web site into an e-mail message, for example, or copy an address from a text message into your calendar.

There???s Bluetooth stereo audio, too, meaning that you can listen to your music with cordless headphones, leaving the iPhone itself in your pocket or backpack. (It???s available on the iPhone 3G S, 3G and the current iPod Touch.) A handy voice-recording app comes complete with trim editing and e-mailing commands, thereby turning your iPhone into a high-quality, huge-capacity digital audio recorder.

If you have a MobileMe account ($100 a year), you can also make your iPhone beep for two minutes ??? and display a plaintive message on the screen ??? when you???ve misplaced it. How many times have you wished your cellphone had that feature?

The 3.0 software also brings, at last, picture and video messaging (known as MMS) to the iPhone 3G and 3G S ??? or it will, once AT&T turns on this feature later this summer.

The iPhone app store offers a staggering 50,000 instantly downloadable programs, in every conceivable category; it???s become a crucial reason, maybe the crucial reason, to get an iPhone in the first place. These programs are getting very sophisticated indeed.

Documents to Go ($5) lets you create and edit Word documents right on the iPhone, for example; programs like Gokivo and TomTom will bring real, spoken, turn-by-turn GPS navigation to the iPhone.

But the more fun you have trying out these apps, the more desperately you need a way to manage them. After all, the iPhone can now hold 176 apps on 11 side-by-side Home screens.

Therefore, the new universal-search feature could not arrive at a better time. Type a few characters, and up pops a list of every match in your calendar, address book, notes, music stash, e-mail headers (subject, to/from, and first few body lines) ??? and apps. That???s right: you can now call up a program by typing a bit of its name.

All of these changes make it much harder to resist the iPhone on intellectual, feature-counting grounds. The new iPhone doesn???t just catch up to its rivals ??? it vaults a year ahead of them.

At this point, the usual 10 rational objections to the iPhone have been whittled down to about three: no physical keyboard, no way to swap the battery yourself and no way to avoid using AT&T as your carrier.

In short, the substantially improved, still elegant iPhone 3G S makes it dangerously easy for your heart and your head to agree.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've been having WiFi issues ever since upgrading to 3.0. I thought it was an issue with one of the wireless access points in our building but it isn't. I'll get a DHCP address but then can't connect to anything over the wireless connection. Turn off WiFI and everything works perfectly. Looks like others are having the same problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2044754&tstart=15

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I've been having WiFi issues ever since upgrading to 3.0. I thought it was an issue with one of the wireless access points in our building but it isn't. I'll get a DHCP address but then can't connect to anything over the wireless connection. Turn off WiFI and everything works perfectly. Looks like others are having the same problem.

I am going to have to pay attention a little more the next time I am connected via WiFi I havent noticed anything thus far.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Not trying to switch the subject, but what sort of case are you guys rocking with your iPhone?

I've had my eyes on an Incase. A friend recommended the SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel. Anyone else have any recommendations?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Looks like others are having the same problem.

Damn, that's weak. Guess I'll be waiting until next week to upgrade.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Not trying to switch the subject, but what sort of case are you guys rocking with your iPhone?

I've had my eyes on an Incase. A friend recommended the SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel. Anyone else have any recommendations?

NO CASE!!!

why spoil the beauty of that superb design that is the iPhone behind some cheesy plastic/rubber/leather case??

I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the week it came out, and it only has a few scratches on the aluminum parts, a few dings in the chrome, and NO scratches in the glass.

If I must protect it while in my pants (with keys, coins, etc) I use an old skool iPod sock (the ones that come in a 3-pack, or something) that a friend split with me.

Ive had my 1st gen Touch since the release and have no scratches on the glass. Aluminum is banged up only as well. That doesnt bother me. I suppose since i treat my Touch better than my current phone i dont need a case.

I hate my current phone so much

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the week it came out, and it only has a few scratches on the aluminum parts, a few dings in the chrome, and NO scratches in the glass.

K you guys are like me, you take care of your iPods/iPhones.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

why spoil the beauty of that superb design that is the iPhone behind some cheesy plastic/rubber/leather case??

As soon as I get my 3Gs, I'm going back to one of these:

Definitely does NOT protect the phone but it's beautiful. And smells great too!

As soon as I get my 3Gs, I'm going back to one of these:

Definitely does NOT protect the phone but it's beautiful. And smells great too!

DUUDE

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Apparently Apple is seems to be trying to strangle some of the Camera Apps, Darkroom Premium and Quadcam no longer work with OS 3.0, more info can be found here...

http://www.stepcase.com/blog/2009/

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanform3g

the black joint on the left. simple and basic; looks nice. however, the leather stops adhering and will flap around and collect lint from the exposed, gummy adhesive. if you can manage to superglue that ho on there, which i've done, it's fine. a friend of mine had the same prob and ended up taking the leather pieces off.

i rock it without the plastic face protector, and unfortunately it's paid the price with scratches and a very small dark spot and another discoloration under the screen. i'm not rough with my phone, try to take care of it by not carry anything other than my phone in my pocket for the reason of not scratching it up. i thought
    it was supposed to be scratch-proof. curses!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    The best part is tethering.

Unfortunately this doesn't work with AT&T....

• Not trying to switch the subject, but what sort of case are you guys rocking with your iPhone?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanform3g

the black joint on the left. simple and basic; looks nice. however, the leather stops adhering and will flap around and collect lint from the exposed, gummy adhesive. if you can manage to superglue that ho on there, which i've done, it's fine. a friend of mine had the same prob and ended up taking the leather pieces off.

i rock it without the plastic face protector, and unfortunately it's paid the price with scratches and a very small dark spot and another discoloration under the screen. i'm not rough with my phone, try to take care of it by not carry anything other than my phone in my pocket for the reason of not scratching it up. i thought
    it was supposed to be scratch-proof. curses!

I use the same case and it's been great so far. However, I also use the separately sold anti-glare matte screen protector which does not get fingerprints.

• I don't bother with a case. I'm just rocking zagg invisible shield.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    hopefully some of these push notification apps such as BeeJive will actually come out.

• Where does everyone keep their brightness level? Do you turn it down for extended charge or do you keep it on super bright and not worry that it sucks those electrons dry?

Mine is set at a third unless I'm at home or my desk.
    I got my icelly game on lock

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I have 1g. So far, everything is working great, but the phone part (kinda important part). I have only been able to answer 50% of calls without it freezing up.

Anyone else have bugs? Hope there is a patch soon.

I thought I had a fix for the WiFi issue then it re-appeared after my phone went to sleep. DOH! I really hope Apple gets that sorted out soon.