needle cases: what do you use?

secondlinersecondliner 63 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
just got some new needles and that damn stupid blue shure case broke one of them already.the design is too low, to where your stylus (even with safety cap on) still is forced against the bottom.grrrrrrrrrrrr.anybody have alternatives that are tried and true?if not, i've already yoinked the holders out of an old case and will probably just end up making one.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    this is a good question...what do you Ortofon guys use? I've never had a problem with the shure case but it just doesn't fit Concorde-style carts at all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've used the same cases for probably over 10 years now:

Vestax Wooden case.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've always used the cases that came with my ortofon cartidges

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    i bought one of those blue shure cases years back, and when i got home, instead of them being along the front lip, the black pieces that hold the headshells were on top and bottom mounted on the short sides, facing each other.

I was using 44-7s and if I remember correctly, the headshells didn't really fit that way when you tried to close it. Their own damn product wouldn't fit! I went back to the store, and their whole inventory was like that, made them give me the normal one out of the display case.

vs

• i bought one of those blue shure cases years back, and when i got home, instead of them being along the front lip, the black pieces that hold the headshells were on top and bottom mounted on the short sides, facing each other.

I was using 44-7s and if I remember correctly, the headshells didn't really fit that way when you tried to close it. Their own damn product wouldn't fit! I went back to the store, and their whole inventory was like that, made them give me the normal one out of the display case.

yeah, i had both and neither would fit my 44-7s either. i took the black parts out of one of them and will probably try to make a new box using those mounted higher for more space below and in front of the needles.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    ortofon people - i have 2 of the qberts if anyone is interested. they need new needles. pm with an offer. cases included.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just have a little plastic container & have the headshells padded with foam inside it, not flash but functional.

• I have used the shure cases for years and love them.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I have used the shure cases for years and love them.

exactly, why go with anything else?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Old cigar boxes from my dad like this one: