Si, Para Usted 2 FINALLY DONE: thanks soulstrut!

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
After over a year of glacially-paced work, I finally got Si, Para Usted 2 back from the manufacturers! It's a huge relief to have this project finished; I'm ready to start something new.As always, this was a Soul Strut effort: Mike from Burlesque did a truly amazing job with the art direction and design, Joe Davenport did the mastering, and sometimes Strut poster Paul from SAMO media did the manufacturing. Also, thanks to all the strutters who kept harassing me about the CD. Without your much appreciated questioning, the comp would have taken that much longer to finish. Volume 2 has some pretty awesome music on it, all taken from the original tapes:1. Los Brito - El 4-5-62. Los Caneyes - Suspirando por el Chikichaka3. Los R??pidos - Safari Salvaje4. Orquesta Cubana de M??sica Moderna - Vehicle5. Grupo Monumental - Tremendo Tremendo6. Juan Pablo Torres - Y Aparec??o el Tromb??n7. Los Brito - Cuando Llego a mi Casa8. Combo Los Caribe - Andaluc??a9. Sonopop - Vanguardia y Juventud10. Grupo FA5 - El Siglo de la Libertad11. Los Llamas - Siboney12. Los Barba - El Cristal13. Los Barba - Al Sonar la Hora14. Mirtha Y Ra??l - El Sue??o de Andria15. Hilario Dur??n - El Son de Victoria16. Los Papines - Para Qu?? NiegasVolume 2 also comes with 12 pages of liner notes. Once the distribution machines starts up, the CD should be available in your local independent and in some chains as well. There's a high likelihood that a double vinyl release is forthcoming. I'm selling the CD on my site for $15, but I want to thank Soul Strut for its support. For the next day or two, you can buy a copy for $11 plus shipping.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

COPPED.

Thanks for your hard work!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Just bought mine. Nice work D#n!
    Do you know who's going to distribute in the US? Would love to get some for the shop especially when the vinyl drops.
    Our couch in DC is still available if you ever roll back through!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

COPPED.

Thanks for your hard work!

1. Copped

2. Hope that 2xLP sees a release!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Hooray Danno! Congrats man... just copped mine, can't wait. Love that Vehicle cover... was outbid on it recently so I'll settle for the comp.

Keep up the good work!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Copped. Looking forward to hearing this Danno, congrats on getting it done.

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    Copped. Excited to hear it!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I listened to the whole thing again last night , read the liner notes.... Excellent Job!

Everybody out there has to support this project!! It is too good!

thanks again for your hard work Dan

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Great cover, copped.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    AWESOME.

Holler at me on PM or email. I'll try to help with some shine.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Don't forget to post when the Double Vinyl is out. I want that Vehicle version for teh flooor.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Love the cover. Payment sent!

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Hey thanks for the shouts, Dan! I'm really happy with how these came out, and the record is even better than the first one. Congrats, dude!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    supersonning it!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    not that there was anything wrong with the first cover, but this is taking it to a much bigger level. great art direction.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    YES! I know that the record store I worked at back home would love to have this, and some customers would dig. Just sayin'

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Copped... any chance for a Waxing Deep annual show?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'll be checkin' my local shops for part deux.

I think I need to take vol 2 down to Cuba like I did for vol 1.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Thanks for the appreciation. I'm glad people are getting the Strut in-joke in the liner notes.

Vinyl should drop soon. I'll let folks know when it does.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    is there vinyl of the first volume? copped it on cd, but would buy again on LP.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Does the $11 'Strut deal still apply or am I too late??

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    danno, tremendous work!!!
    sip

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    I had a complete , when I heard that "Vehicle" Version. Need to cop the Vinyl also. Great Work.

• Thanks for all the good feedback on the artwork! This was a great project to be involved in and I can't wait to see and hear the final product.

Here's a blog posting I wrote exactly 364 days ago (!!!) about my work on Si Para Usted 2:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

About 2 years ago, Dan from Waxing Deep in Montreal asked me to create the album artwork for a compilation he was releasing of Cuban funk and psych music from the 1960s through the early '80s. I did it and it looks like this:

I was pretty happy with how it came out, but knew it wasn't 100% what I was trying to pull off. Volume 2 is on the way and I was fortunate enough to be asked to design the artwork for this one as well. I saw this as an opportunity to take the design more to the level I was hoping to with the first installment.

Visually, these Cuban-designed posters from OSPAAAL have been an inspiration on dozens of my projects, and definitely inspired me here as well:

Technically, I was hugely inspired by the Making of the HBO logo video I posted earlier on my blog and really wanted to create something largely away from the computer. After setting up dioramas and photo shoots for a few other CD covers (Heavy Session, Marc Hype & Jim Dunloop), I felt a similar approach would fit the pre-computer music from this CD.

Dan sent me hi-resolution JPGs some of the album covers. I cut out just the images of the musicians, half-toned them out, sized them the way I wanted, printed them out, colored them in with crayons, and started setting them up in this arrangement:

I designed the title and its framework in Illustrator, printed it out, traced it, scanned it back in, printed it out once again, cut it out, and crayoned that as well.

Looking through a camera lens, I began moving things around and filling up empty spaces with cut-out rainbow shapes and grass and flowers I "borrowed" from Mali's yard.

Wes helped set up the lighting to get a real pro-looking photo.

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the final image:

Not sure when this is going to be released, but the music is phenomenal and I strongly recommend it to anyone even slightly interested in funk or Latin American music. Keep your eyes and ears open for this one!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Great work MIKE. I can't wait to copp the vinyl on this.

- diego

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That's tremendous.
    Another great job.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Came in this morning, just got through the first listen.
    The transfer & mastering is fantastic!
    Sounds amazing, something for everybody from psychy stuff to disco/moder moves.
    Great job all involved.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Great work MIKE. I can't wait to copp the vinyl on this.

- diego

Absolutely , I love the breakdown of how you created the artwork! Excellent job.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Came in this morning, just got through the first listen.
    The transfer & mastering is fantastic!
    Sounds amazing, something for everybody from psychy stuff to disco/moder moves.
    Great job all involved.

Mine arrived aswell!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hi danno!

sorry i havent purchased a copy yet but i did use one of the lil snippets to put together this promo for our next gallery show. thanks dude!

its hi8 footage that i had to freak out cuz the quality was kinda bad.

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    Hooray Danno! Congrats man... just copped mine, can't wait. Love that Vehicle cover... was outbid on it recently so I'll settle for the comp.

Keep up the good work!

I saw some massive bidding for the 7" version, but the LP frequently turns up BIN in the neighborhood of $30.

Orquesta Cubana De Musica Moderna