LaMont Johnson

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I'm quite ready to be told these are 25c pieces of chud that you'll leave at the flea market, but I'm finding worthwhile tracks on each, plus the whole 6/9 liner note thing.Any (other) goodies in the catalogue? What else needs to be known?Thanks

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    NINE is a great record. Probably worth a good deal more than .25 cents too.

• Nine is the sh!t--- I think Amir used "Aces" on one of his comps...LaMont is definitely underrated.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Nine is the sh!t--- I think Amir used "Aces" on one of his comps...LaMont is definitely underrated.

'Aces' looks like a bunch of other records, can't say I have ever run across it, but I would happily pick up any Lamont Johnson.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You can send me Nine, I will pay you $2.50 !!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

grabbed this record years back. chow chuns theme is bonkers.

• i definitely used the title track Aces on Off Track Volume 1...his stuff is definitely worth picking up...

amir

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    New York Exile is straight-ahead jazz quartet material from what I remember.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I passed on 'Nine' years ago for like $12, thinking i could scoop it up for less. (i was a broke college kid)
    I haven't seen it below $35 since

• I passed on 'Nine' years ago for like $12, thinking i could scoop it up for less. (i was a broke college kid)
    I haven't seen it below $35 since
    I passed on a sealed copy for 20 bucks a few months ago and was really regretting it afterwards. Luckily found a minty copy for 25 bucks a couple weeks ago and didn't think twice. Great record.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nine's dope for sure, and slept on. Anyone know why he didn't have more output like it? What's that one on Mainstream like? I've never had a chance to drop a needle on it.

• Nine's dope for sure, and slept on. Anyone know why he didn't have more output like it? What's that one on Mainstream like? I've never had a chance to drop a needle on it.
    Kinda odd. I never really got into that one. Aces is pretty good, but I'd say Nine is definitely his best work.

• Nine's dope for sure, and slept on. Anyone know why he didn't have more output like it? What's that one on Mainstream like? I've never had a chance to drop a needle on it.

It's pretty wierd. Modal and freaky, stuff surging
    in and out of the mix, atonal at times, and kind
    of swinging at others.

It's the only one I own/have heard from him, so now I'm curious
    about "Nine".
    Sound?
    Label/Year?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Nine's dope for sure, and slept on. Anyone know why he didn't have more output like it? What's that one on Mainstream like? I've never had a chance to drop a needle on it.

a straight terd

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Too bad, one less album to search for.