The Headphones Thread

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
What headphones are you using to DJ with? I've been using the Sony MDR-V700DJ for the last number of years and though I own two pairs, the plastics swivel earpiece just broke on one and the foam lining started falling off the other. I see buying more headphones in my future. Should I just get another pair or something else? I just want something that sounds decent and can handle some travel. Ideas?

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    my favorites have always been the sony MDR-7506

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    My current joints are beat to shit. Time for a new pair.

Any Wireless jokers for home-listening that are good and under $150?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I use these both for homeproduction and DJing (mainly because I couldn't afford two pairs). The 80 Ohm version is loud enogh for DJing and they won't break as easy as the Sony plastic garbage.

If I had some extra dinero I would buy these for travelling:

• My current joints are beat to shit. Time for a new pair.

Any Wireless jokers for home-listening that are good and under $150?

From what I've heard (haven't tried any) those wireless joints are not up to par yet.

Trust Sennheiser for all of your headphone needs, and I don't think you'll be upset (I haven't been).

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

was on my way to a gig with a pair of sony mdr -700 many years ago. Which were actually my second pair. They were known for being plastic and cheap but these were DJ standard at that time I guess. Closed the door to my car on the headphones and the black cord snapped. Luckily THE WIZ (RIP) on broadway in the west village was open late and I grabbed a pair of mdr-600s. To this day I still rock the same pair. the 600s are a road warrior. Sturdy, solid, unfadeable. Mind you they are ugly as F*ck and not very chic looking but i stand by these and would be totally clueless as to which headphones to get if these started breaking down.

• I just copped these cheap pair of behringer headphones for about $20 and I think there pretty clean for especially for how cheap they were.
    Here's the link ---

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-HPM1000-LIST

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I've had the same headphones since 94'. Granted they are beat up. The foam padding is gone. But, they still work great and have not broken! I have used these on countless gigs. They just keep ticking... Sony MDR-V600 ... They probably don't make em anymore.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I repeat... it's about these bad boys

recording engineers swear by these, I've had mine since '97

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the V6/7506 is cool and what I use, much better if you replace the earpads with the beyerdynamic ones, but for DJing I'd love to have a pair of the sennheiser HD-25s.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I really like sennheiser in general but doubt the durability of any of them once you step outside the house.

Anyone have some experience with these?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'd love to hear some opinions on the most recommended phones under $100 that deliver the range, clarity and comfort needed for intense home listening while simultaneously being loud and durable enough for the occasional DJ gig.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I've had these for a while now, and they are in great shape.
    Much more durable than the Sonys i've had (500 & 700)
    I think Sony sounds like shit, unless you pay out your ass for their high-end models.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Headphones Thread, not Headstick Thread.

Sorry to be the hater but I seriously can't for the life of me understand why the stick is the new trend.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I SWEAR BY THESE --

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    DISCO,HOUSE heads know why this is the best. I have used a stick since 1987 old school style.